Gracie Combatives DVD review

Looks like Budovideos carries the combatives now. Same price.

ttt

I just bought the DVD's along with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Street Self Defense. Should be getting them next week.

TTT

TTT

ttt for other thoughts on the gracie combative dvd set

The dvd series is top notch. I don't train under the Gracies so I don't have a dog in the fight. However, Ryron and Renner do an excellent job explaining the techniques. They should be applauded and I can't wait for additional series.

How long is each dvd?

Trichoke7

The dvd's are 20-30 min in length and INCREDIBLY detaled, moreso than I've seen any instructional so far.

I have them and don't regret my purchase. I just wish this kinda stuff was available when I was in my 20's

:-)

Each DVD has 3 lesson plans. Each lesson is anywhere between 15 and 35 minutes. So each single disc will run 45 min to over an hour.

That's right Titan, i forgot I have ONLINE instruction of all lessons (1-36) so I was stating it has 20-30 min per lesson.

G2010

I can't wait to get my set.....

Who would benefit most from this set? Absolute beginner? Someone with a few months of experience? Blue belt and above looking to add more self defense to their training?

Mike

While it is geared towards beginners, one can never practice fundamental basics enough -- therefore, I would easily say I'd be drilling the techniques right up to black belt!

G2010

G2010,
Excellent point. Is the "way" the techniques show,and drilled,new or revamped for self defense, or are the techniques just explained very well? Does the way these moves are trained or drilled make he moves more functional or just easier to remember? From a self defense perspective, is this a "system" to help protect yourself for any situation, or is this just a script of moves to know for various situations? Any help is apprecaited.
Mike

The whole premise with Combatives is street applicable self defense against a bigger opponent with no knowledge of BJJ. That's where it starts. Of course after that you have the Master Cycle...etc etc etc

The DVDs are really great. I just watched the first one and zipped through the second one and I´am very impressed.

The stuff they show, the details and the way they connect everything for drilling purpose really make these DVDs more than worth the money.

I think the stuff they show is something every BJJ player should know and it makes me realize how different a Submission Grappling mindset is from the oldschool BJJ mindset.

Sometimes it´s all about a new Butterfly pass, a funky choke from turtle or a new position you can use to surprise your opponent but within all these stuff you forget what really matters when someone is trying to fight you punch you and don´t play with a BJJ mindset.

Great stuff

Take care

Björn

ttt combatives,i know a few bb's that have bought them

Just watched the first DVD I am really impressed with the quality and instruction. They include variations along with each showing and break it down very easily. So far, so good.

ttt combatives,its a good system,you guys wont be sorry for buying them.any ? about anything on them, e mail the academy
so someone can walk u thru it.