Gracie Combatives, What do people think?

FingerorMoon - The world hasn't been flooded with online bluebelts yet.

In fact, in one of the mailouts they brothers said half the people that have submitted the videos have failed.

thats a gOOD thing and a major component bjj folks were concernedd with...as we can see this IS NOT a "buy your way through a course" format...u have to actually prove and show with decent usage what you are doing.

Layton -  I've taken the Gracie Combatives Military / LE version of the series which is a week long class.   It is explained at the beginning of the class that the techniques are a stream lined series to be used on an untrained attacker.   Once you master the Combatives series you get your Blue Belt and you can move on to the Master Cycle,   which are the techniques most of the BJJ world train.   After taking the course I understand why they teach the way they do.   They make it very simple and very structured so someone who is not an athlete or smart enough to break down the techniques will still learn (robotic moves).   On the 4th and 5th days of the class the instructors had a few of the people in the room that already train help the people that did not understand or physically could not perform the techniques.   All in all I think it is a really good program and it has changed the way I think about teaching new students.

this alone is worth getting it!! :)

Phenomenal. I wish that had been my path to the blue belt. (the techniques, I mean -- not internet training)

Taku -  What is the word on this course? What do people think of these videos? Good? Bad? Mediocre? Please give your honest opinions.

No need to rant or bash, just straight forward feedback, please.

Thanks,

TAKU T.N.T.

www.blackjackfitness.com

taku what is your take on bro :) the Gracie Combat vids

No doubt the best Self Defense program and DVD set out!

After training BJJ for a while, most of us can easily loose touch with what defending against an untrained attacker is like. We assume everyone knows what we know. Gracie Combatives drives home the fact that you are training to defend against a LARGER/UNTRAINED opponent.

The second part of Combatives is Master Cycle where you are now defending against someone who knows Jiu Jitsu. There are many other BJJ programs and instuctors that teach and test through the internet. Its not a new concept!!

I got involved through LE as I needed to learn something I could use on the job. X GUARD SWEEPS WERE NOT THE ANSWER!!

Sport vs Self-Defense is not about which one is better. It's a personal decision. Just simply ask yourself:

What do I train BJJ for?

Find a program that works for you. Get on the mat, have fun, repeat...

Rick T.
www.hartford-dojo.com
Certified Gracie Combatives Tng Center

My threads

Rick T - No doubt the best Self Defense program and DVD set out!

After training BJJ for a while, most of us can easily loose touch with what defending against an untrained attacker is like. We assume everyone knows what we know. Gracie Combatives drives home the fact that you are training to defend against a LARGER/UNTRAINED opponent.

The second part of Combatives is Master Cycle where you are now defending against someone who knows Jiu Jitsu. There are many other BJJ programs and instuctors that teach and test through the internet. Its not a new concept!!

I got involved through LE as I needed to learn something I could use on the job. X GUARD SWEEPS WERE NOT THE ANSWER!!

Sport vs Self-Defense is not about which one is better. It's a personal decision. Just simply ask yourself:

What do I train BJJ for?

Find a program that works for you. Get on the mat, have fun, repeat...

Rick T.
www.hartford-dojo.com
Certified Gracie Combatives Tng Center

greatest BJJ post of 2009 .. and

LMFAO@ x-guard sweeps not being the answer LOL and true

Personally, I feel I teach far better stuff on my "Hap-Ki-Do-or-Die" instructional series...

Nothing against the Gracie Boys, but they show ZERO defenses against Hapkido Combat Cane, while I teach well over 6-hours on that topic alone.

You do the math.

shen:
Im 50 years old and will soon need a cane. Can we work out a Tng program over the internet? I want to be known in my state as the HAP-KI-DUDE OR DIE with the cane. LOL!!

^^LE= Law Enforcement

LEO= Law Enforcement Officer

shen - Personally, I feel I teach far better stuff on my "Hap-Ki-Do-or-Die" instructional series...

Nothing against the Gracie Boys, but they show ZERO defenses against Hapkido Combat Cane, while I teach well over 6-hours on that topic alone.

You do the math.

if i could do the math ,i would have a job and wouldnt be on here

I've seen parts of the DVD's and think they are excellent too.

Additionally, the people that have passed the blue belt online test (as shown on the link), look like they have good skills for that level.

I might become a believer in online testing after all- as long as there are stringent measures and standards.

12:
My math skills are also sub-par. That why I chose LE as a carreer. I can add ticket fines pretty good though!!

it was nice to see you rick,im happy for you buddy that passed his test.never seen someone so nervous.

catch you on the next trip,hope your daughter is doing well and keeping safe

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your feedback regarding this video set. I really do appreciate it.

TAKU T.N.T.

i think TAKU just purchased Gracie combat dvds :)

I am thinking seriously about getting this set. I do not do any sport BJJ at the moment but do think it is worth keeping BJJ in one form or another, as part of my own training.

TAKU T.N.T.

I've been watching this set and it is awesome. The level of detail that Rener and Ryron go into involving the techniques is tremendous. Wish I had this years ago, when I first started out.

Fantastic set.

I have the entire Gracie Combatives DVD set and I think they are excellent.

Although most people feel the set is "self-defense" oriented and geared toward applying Bjj against an average size to large opponent who does NOT know Jiu-jitsu, I believe feel the curriculum on this DVD is, my opinion, FOUNATIONAL JIUJITSU.

When I say "foundational Jiujitsu" I mean the techniques and tactics are good starting point for building up a more extensive knowledge of Bjj.

In other words the techniques on the Gracie Combatives are not only good for basic self-defense but are also very good for building and developing a more advance and complex game. I say this because the techniques and sequences on the Gracie Combatives DVD are very mechanically, tactically and logically sound.