Gracie Judo......

oh wow.

so thats what the watered down version looks like?

Check out the passing and sweeps deep into the video, pretty technical stuff :)

That would be awesome if there was some old ass black and white japanese footage of the rubber guard, if anyone out there has some please post! :)

that is a sweet video. a few techs I have not seen before. The video really does show the difference between Gracie Ju-Jitsu and Judo. The emphasis on pinning in the video is strong. A lot of those sweeps are sweet. But you can see that the set ups are different than what GJJ teaches and that the Judo guy in the video is very explosive.

jact

its also interesting that there is zero gaurd work.

"The emphasis on pinning in the video is strong."

The emphasis on pinning should be strong..It is a dominant posistion (from which to mount attacks)and that is why you get points for it in BJJ and why it is scored in mma as well. It is also why if you pin a guy for a long time in a street fight and it gets broken up, everyone says you won.

"its also interesting that there is zero gaurd work."

What do you think the passes were for? The guard is nothing new..It's how you avoid getting your ass kicked.

"What time frame was this and was this before or after Jiu Jitsu was introduced to Helio?"

He was born in 1892.. He always said that the fight starts standing but ends on the ground, therefor it should be practiced 50/50..

He was one of Kano's best students and helped further the progression of ne-waza at the kodokan and universities in japan...Well until the politicians didnt like that his students were kicking everyones ass (non-blackbelts easily beating blackbelts, sound familiar?) with ne-waza.

The dude basicly formed a system (Oda Method) that people today would look at like gracie jiu-jitsu..Unlike Helio though, he was from Japan and the political climate of the day stifled his approach as far as sport judo went. It did not however stifle his method from existing (which also included neck cranks, leglocks, etc).  Far as I know he didnt do a twister though;)

"It looks like every modern instructional on basic Judo."

It should, he was instrumental in in the creation of it.

Nice to see how different it was from BJJ back then too.

Goal seems to be to pin and not submit where as in BJJ the primary goal is submission.

" But you can see that the set ups are different than what GJJ teaches and that the Judo guy in the video is very explosive."

This is the correct.

So end goal, set ups, transitions are all different. Nice techniques though.

Btw. Eddie I think most people missed your subtle joke/sarcasm.

I find that video incredible.

Eddie clearly loves the Gi.

awesome, thanks

ttt

Thank you Q, for posting that.

Beautiful.

TTT for after work

"if you pin a guy for a long time in a street fight and it gets broken up, everyone says you won."

That doesn't sound like a street fight to me, that sounds kinda like..."this".

Eddie, honestly I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not; but there is ALOT of good stuff in that video, particularly for the time period.

The pins, passes, sweeps, etc. are ALL solid and although many of them are considered basic by today's standards, the basics are what drive the sport....

I think from watching this stuff that it is clear that the beginning of bjj was simply basic ground judo.

TTT for 10th Planet Judo! :)