Gracie University

Ok, so I signed up for the first free part of Gracie University about a month and a half ago. It really helped me understand the power of positions and I did get a little better understanding of things. IE.. super hooks,mount control etc...

I'm not out to get a blue belt by mail or rank chasing. My main goal is to progress in the art. I take class 2 times a week and sometimes I cant make class at all due to working for the railroad.

Has anyone been beyond the free part and is it worth it??

It is the best instructional material I've seen. The lessons themselves are incredible. The extra section with the rolling is not as large as you would hope. If you want to see lots of rolling join marcelo's site. Phone Post 3.0

I don't do the University, but I do have their Combatives DVDs. I am an old brown belt with an early foundation in their self-defense techniques, taught by a then Gracie-certified instructor. Fast forward all these years later, like I posted on here before: I wish this program was available to me from the beginning. There is NOTHING in their teachings that will ever lose it's value in either sportive or fight training later on. A long-time "BJJ dabbler" neighbor of mine was amazed at how well organized the connections of techniques and concepts were explained. For him, a lot of holes were filled in his formerly random understanding of some techniques and concepts while other basic areas he was completely amiss on.

Yeah agreed- the progression, the way the lessons build on each other and inter connect so they are useful stand alone or together is amazing Phone Post 3.0

circusmonkey - I don't do the University, but I do have their Combatives DVDs. I am an old brown belt with an early foundation in their self-defense techniques, taught by a then Gracie-certified instructor. Fast forward all these years later, like I posted on here before: I wish this program was available to me from the beginning. There is NOTHING in their teachings that will ever lose it's value in either sportive or fight training later on. A long-time "BJJ dabbler" neighbor of mine was amazed at how well organized the connections of techniques and concepts were explained. For him, a lot of holes were filled in his formerly random understanding of some techniques and concepts while other basic areas he was completely amiss on.
Nailed it. I wish this was available for the beginning of my bjj journey. Everything in the DVDs is stuff you need to know. I'm a nerd and like learning the berimbolos and flashy moves, but those moves aren't a "need". The combatives set covers your NEEDS. Phone Post 3.0

Gracie university is really good. Not fancy garbage. Phone Post 3.0

There have been many threads on the topic of Gracie University and I have never read anything but very positive comments on the quality of the instruction itself.

If your just starting out its way more valuable than a lot of other stuff online because it helps you step by step with basics to understand positions. I havnt seen any better material for this and while going to an actual class with an instructor is way better it will help fill in gaps in knowledge in the mean time.

just buy the combatives set

I went to "Gracie Junior College" for a few semesters. It was OK, I guess. Just took a few classes, then I got kinda lazy. I still might go back so I can transfer one day. But I got a lot going on right now, so... we'll see.

Yeah, I think I will get the Combative's set and then move on to Gracie Undergrad.

But really, I think I will just get the Combatives.

The content is phenominal, and they break the chapters out nicely, but I still think this content would be a lot more user friendly as DVDs. Their app is great too, but each lesson is 30mins to an hour long. I love taking a deep look at things, but sometimes I really like the grab and go ~5 minute long videos on MGINACTION.

All that said, they probably do the best instructional on leg locks I have ever seen.

let me know if your going to buy the combative set,maybe I can get you a discount

brendan raedy - 

The content is phenominal, and they break the chapters out nicely, but I still think this content would be a lot more user friendly as DVDs. Their app is great too, but each lesson is 30mins to an hour long. I love taking a deep look at things, but sometimes I really like the grab and go ~5 minute long videos on MGINACTION.

All that said, they probably do the best instructional on leg locks I have ever seen.

When you are watching a lesson, there is a link on the right side of the screen that says ;slices drills slides info.

Click on drills
It will show the techniques in silent demo mode. Each of the brothers demos the tech slowly at diff angles a couple times and with different sub details of the move. Less than a minute long. Gives you enough info to get something out of drilling it.

12 - let me know if your going to buy the combative set,maybe I can get you a discount

OK, what kind of discount we talking here? You can pm me if you would like.

Gracie University isn't considered an "accredited educational institute." My resume now has a large hole in it...

25%

brendan raedy - 

30 minutes to an hour? That's just the Combatives stuff. Get into the advanced material and you get 2+ hour videos with an insane amount of detail that requires you to watch them in pieces.

12 - 25%

OK, Do you have a promo code or something? Inbox details if you would like.