grapplers quest question

Do people tend to drop a division lower than they should be competing at? Is straight wrestling or judo included in experience level years? I have never competed before and have trained myself for a couple years from tapes and books, and have trained under a BJJ instructor for just under a year, would yor reccomend beginner 6months to a year, or intermediate 1-2 years.

beginner 6months definitly, the intermediate division are really solid bjj blue belts and wresters with submission backgrounds

ttt

ttt

You'll have high school wrestlers that have been doing submission grappling for six months to one year doing the beginner bracket. Makes it kind of tough when those guys have been on the mat for 4-5 years and are competing as beginners. Thier submissions may not be great, but thier positional control is good. But it's that much more sweet to tap them out knowing you've only been rolling for six months.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

ttt

ttt

Its a tough question. Do what division you feel you can compete in. But dont sand bag. My first Grappers Quest I did the beginner division and took 2nd. I had only been training for 7 months.

The next one I did I was supposed to do the intermediate division but I decided to go to advance. I figured that half the guys in intermediat should be in advance and they just sandbag.

Just go where you feel you can comete against everyone. No sense in doing a division that you can run thorught. Do one that you feel you can do good in but still get a challegen. Tournies are a good learing experience.

ttt
I was wondering about the sandbagging thing. I figured that was the case. Wad GQ you first event ever? Did you wrestle or anything before?

I entered the advanced div, the guys in beginners are WAY too good for me to compete against. :0)

Seriously, I was at two different GQ's, and in the beginners divs, there was one NJ state wrestling champ, and one PA state champ.

Gortiz: But so what, wrestling has no technique so it shouldn't matter1Captioned for the Sarcasm impaired.

I was a wrestler myself and started right in the advanced div, I have yet to win one but I keep doing better and better and I always end up losing to that guy that wins first place...

Do what you feel you can and have fun..

CC

I can tap all the guys at our academy that wrestled through high school(i never wrestled) but they can always take me down and I have to work hard for the submission. Do college wrestlers really do the begginers division?

ttt

GQ = heavy sandbagging. you see beginners doing flying armbars and shit. just do beginners.

ttt

ttt
need all the advice I can get. if you have sandbaged before, what level of experience do you think intermdediate guys really have.

if you do the advanced devision you dont have to worry about it. you know what your up against and you will be better for it.

ttt