GRAPPLING CLASSIC Jan. 24th in MI

hey bill,

"why are you pulling an ADCC and not announcing who is in the pro division until the day before?"

i'm intentionally imitating one the best events in the world.

keeping the names secret until a day before the event adds to the prestige of the event and to the guys who are putting it all on the line. they deserve the credit.

take care.

ttt

should be one hell of an event!!!!!

ttt

copyin the big events?? i think they actually let women compete....or is this where you draw the line??

I just want to take an opportunity to make a statement as to why our school, Warrior Way, will not be attending this tournament. It seems that some misunderstandings and mistruths have been said as to why we won't be there. I just want to make a few things clear. First, Sean is not able to allow women to compete in his public tournament because of his religious beliefs. If you know anything about our school, then you know my girlfriend, Jessica Ross, has built a strong women's team with alot of tough, young competitors. As a team some of us felt it wouldn't be right to support a tournament that won't allow half our team to compete.

We DID NOT forbid anyone from competing in this tournament, everyone decided on their own to support it or not. One of our purple belts dropped out of the pro division after he heard about what was happening...His girlfriend is also on the woman's team. Some of the wrestlers who train with us told Jess that they think it is wrong and said they would not support the tournament either, without anyone saying anything to them. We are not persuading or threatening anyone about competing in the tournament...it is everyone's personal choice.

Jessica, Sean, and myself have communicated numerous times about this and we all know where each other stands. There are no negative feelings about Sean and his religion, HOWEVER, I don't think you should promote a public tournament if your beliefs require that you ban half of the population....that is all. The only reason I am posting any of this is because I have heard that we as a school are not allowing students to compete. This is false. The other reason I am posting this is because of the claims that this tournament will rank up there with events like NAGA and Grapplers Quest. This is also false, as both of those events allow women competitors. My silence on this topic was out of respect to Sean, who is an old friend, and training partner. However, my silence wasn't meant to be a free liscense to spread lies about us and our school and this tournament.

*Whistles innocently*

yeah, I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot of *whistling* and *crickets chirping* everyone thinks we 'forbid' or 'make' our students do things. No, it's called being a team and sticking together.

Angelo: All I am going to saying is there's a tiny bit of Deja Vu here...

not sure i quit get your point, kai. i'm not trying to bad mouth anyone, all my points were made in my post. not much more to say.

you still on AOL? [editted], right?

angelo-wish i belonged to a team as tight as you all are!! i feel this is a sport for all!! and to bring in some BULLSHIT religion into the art/sport is un AMERICAN!! WELL IM AN AMERICAN AND PROUND OF IT!!

keep the religious crap for your mosque!!

kai...yes that is still my email.

What are the age groups...Adult-Master-Executive-Senior?? Are weigh-ins the night before or can we weigh-in the same day?

Thanks,

Clint

quinn, i certainly respect your right to freedom of speech and respect your opinion. but isn't it pretty un-american to call any religion "bullshit"? it's been a while since my 3rd grade social studies class but i thought people came over on the mayflower because they were persecuted for their religious beliefs. it's not my intent to start anything, just posting an obersvation. quinn, if you choose not to compete i can understand why. angelo, if you and WW choose not to compete i certainly understand why and can respect that.

i think UofM will do as it's always done and what angelo says WW is doing: each individual decides for themselves if they'd like to compete. good luck to all. abraco

Phrancis.....my sentiments exactly.

Mighty Quinn,

I too am an American, but your comment about "keep the religious crap for your mosque" is not cool!

Not wanting to support the event because of the reasons that Angelo stated is one thing. But Sean's religious beliefs has nothing to do with being "Un-American"!

Dustin Ware

Mighty Quinn: Incredibly uninformed.

Angelo: Classy post. If more people on here could convey their sentiments in the mature and respectful manner that you have it might make it a more enjoyable place for the whole of us.

edit: deference to Francis (word of reason) Garcia

Don't forget that Mark Bocek will be in the event. he beat Sean Williams at GQ U.s. Nationals in 2002.

I have to admit, this is all very unfortunate. I was very much looking forward to competing in January at the event...but, I may be only a new member of Warrior Way, but I will not compete if ALL of the team is not there!

Hope this is able to be resolved in the future.

Jeff Yurk

I cant believe Quinn just wrote that garbage! I am in a quandry over this situation myself but I know one thing, it is EXTREMLY UN-AMERICAN to post what you just did Quinn.

I would like to discuss this matter more with my fellow droogs..