Graveyard/Overnight shift? How you do it?

I have the dark curtains covered. I have a noise and light reducing headband as well. I’m gonna be working 8PM to 8AM though with a little under a 45 minute commute realistically. I’m not planning on getting much more than 9AM to 2PM sleep window. That might be a stretch, we’ll see. I’m gonna “try” and sneak in a late nap either way probably. But as far as non meth related supplements or energy drinks, what do you guys who have done those shifts suggest? I can pick a different shift if need be. But this is what I’m trying to make work right now. If you have experience with this type of schedule I’d love to hear it.

2 Likes

Fuck that sounds horrible.

I did midnight to 8am for a summer and I NEVER slept.

2 Likes

Cocaine.

2 Likes

Keep your sunglasses on, blackout curtains for the living room and kitchen too if you are using it in the morning.

Once natural sun hit my eyes, it was over.

9 Likes

When I did it I just pretty much stayed tired all the time. Eventually you’ll sleep somewhat normal but still have random days where it just ain’t happening.

8 Likes

I always felt slighty hungover for a day after working overnights. Not worth it

3 Likes

It’s rough as I’m enduring it right now. I use a fan and a sleep mask to help with the sleep. I work a 21:00 - 07:00 shift and find that coffee after 2 is a no go. Sleep by 10 after getting the kid off to school and up at 4. Hardest part is the turnover as I work a 5 on 2 off. Had a 4 hr nap today and hopefully asleep by midnight. Then tomorrow back to normal but gotta stay up until 3 am. This shit sucks but only for 7 months outta the year, keep your head up

1 Like

When you’re at work keep yourself busy as possible. When you’re on overnights, any downtime just makes you feel like shit.

Is this the security job?

2 Likes

Indeed it is. But not the winery job I had been gunning for. I’m gonna be one of several on duty guards patrolling a homeless shelter. Not as much downtime, even though it is far less active at night than it is in the day. I still anticipate it being fairly interesting. Haha

1 Like

You don’t “try AND…”
You “try TO…”

3 Likes

Slim, with all due respect, I’ll turn you over my knee and whoop that ass for talking to the flopster that way.

You got it?

4 Likes

I did 8 pm to 6 am for a few years, and slept from 7 am-2:30 pm. Black out curtains and a box fan worked wonders. If I didn’t have a wife and kid I would still work midnights.

2 Likes

Been doing mid night til 8:30 am for the last 15 years. I take an hour nap when I get off while the kid takes her first nap. I usually go to be around 7-7:30 pm. I work from home so I don’t need to fuck with traffic at least.

1 Like

No, I will try two.

1 Like

Was young.
No family.
Recovery easier.
And a malt liquor habit to help me pass out.

The kid is going to make this difficult. Even though he’s the main reason I’m doing it.

I used to work 7p-730a. I would go home, walk the dog. And be in bed by 9. Blackout curtains and a fan for white noise. Slept like a baby until 4. I would avoid coffee/caffeine after 2am. I was also in my 20s so I was a machine and could switch back to a day schedule when I had a few days off.

Side note. What happened to the winery gig. I thought that was a done deal.

1 Like

Nights is great for parenting especially when they’re in school. Gone while they’re asleep, sleep while they’re at school (if you can), pick em up from school, home for dinner. That’s one thing I won’t complain about. Got a lot of family time on nights.

1 Like

Looking back on the interview I think what most likely was my undoing was my response to them asking me the lowest wage I would accept. I pointed out the wage they had on the listing and mentioned I was applying for the shift that commanded that wage. I imagine it was more appealing for them to skim a bigger percentage from what the client was paying. Or they went with someone more experienced. Either way, I’ve had 3 interviews in the last two days and went with this. Might be able to get into surveillance eventually. :man_shrugging:

What time should I be there?

4 Likes