Gray belt/Red & White belt, why?

The gray belt came from Brazilian Judo schools, the red & white belt came from Judo( 6 th thru 8 th degree). Why did Carlos junior feel the need to add the belts? Carlos sr & Helio did not feel the need to use them. I'm glad the Helio side of the family is not using them.

In a single word? Ego

DaveM - 

In a single word? Ego

True!

I seem to recall reading that the original three belts in BJJ were white, light blue, and dark blue. 

I also seem to recall that in the late 1990's, Helio ran ads wearing a light blue belt to represent "the pure spring of official Gracie knowledge" in comparison to the polluted world of BJJ knock off artists.

Grey belt was the start of the "westernisation" of the BJJ belt structure. It was either a good idea as it allows instructors who have kids that started training at a very early age to not have to spread the belts so thin (a kid could start at 4 and be training for 12 years before hitting the adults - that's a long time in a kid's life to only be graded 3 times). Or it was a bad idea as it potentially panders to the modern "I can't wait for anything" life Lots of schools did (and still do) things differently for kids anyway - we introduced half belts for kids too young to move up to the next belt, but who had progressed past their current grade)

The white/red belt was entirely pointless, and IMO is Carlinhos and the IBJJF trying to flex their muscles and become the de facto ruling body, rather than just the leading comp organisers.

James

Sir Taps - Grey belt was the start of the "westernisation" of the BJJ belt structure. It was either a good idea as it allows instructors who have kids that started training at a very early age to not have to spread the belts so thin (a kid could start at 4 and be training for 12 years before hitting the adults - that's a long time in a kid's life to only be graded 3 times). Or it was a bad idea as it potentially panders to the modern "I can't wait for anything" life Lots of schools did (and still do) things differently for kids anyway - we introduced half belts for kids too young to move up to the next belt, but who had progressed past their current grade)

The white/red belt was entirely pointless, and IMO is Carlinhos and the IBJJF trying to flex their muscles and become the de facto ruling body, rather than just the leading comp organisers.

James

It almost seems like Carlos Jr is trying to be Judoish to much. The gray belt was strictly a Brazilian Judo thing, its not used anywhere in Europe, Asia or North America. The red & white belt it seems he wants to differentiate 7 th & 8 th degree but at that rank everyone know who you are so who cares. I liked the fact that the red & black set BJJ apart from Judo, although the USJA used it for 4 th & 5 th degree

I never knew that Brazilian Judo uses the grey belt, so yeah, does seem that Carlos Jr is taking some inspiration from Judo. Especially now with the red/white belt.

James