Great 1st round for Akiyama????

he didnt do a damn thing except defend and 1 trip. shields 10-9

he's puzzled by K-1 Shields

in the first round women slaps count more than just sitting there taking them.

Shields is doing nothing effective... but he's doing more. This is one of those strange fights.

yup Ender. even if the other guy looks horrible on the feet, you still have to swing back if thats where the whole fight takes place.

I hope he does a demolishing trip on shields

Shields is winning.

+1 - even if Jake's stand up looks garbo - he's getting the better of their exchanges for sure. I have Jake up 2 rounds.

This fight really solidifies for me that Akiyama is kind of a weird fighter - very strong / great chin / but not great stand up - good take down defense, but can't use judo effectively except to get trips but never capitalizes on getting dominant positions.

The trips/takedowns by Sexyama were more significant than anything Shields did that round. Phone Post

keiths - yup Ender. even if the other guy looks horrible on the feet, you still have to swing back if thats where the whole fight takes place.

Looks like Jake is going to win on that. Akiyama has been playing defense the whole fight... not sure what his gameplan is.

Nick Diaz must be embarrassed that his teammate was throwing so many of those pitter patter leg kicks. Doesn't Nick hate those?
Kidding, kidding.

Good win by Shields. Akiyama deserved to lose. If you get outboxed by Jake Shields, you ain't gonna win.

Agreed. What was his gameplan? He didn't want to take Shields down and he wasn't really pushing the action on the feet. Was he hoping he would catch Shields with a big shot?