Great Anti-War Songs

They called us inhumane murderers and rapists… Fuck em!

Wild about how an anti-military recruitment song about a guy who gets his legs blown off in Sri Lanka got turned into a kids song.

“They called us”. To me that sounds like he’s talking about the news headlines, just like how soldiers returning from Nam were called baby killers

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below
On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone
And the valley-people swore
They’d have it for their very own

Go ahead and hate your neighbor
Go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven
You can justify it in the end
There won’t be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day
On the bloody morning after
One tin soldier rides away

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure
Tons of gold for which they’d kill
It came an answer from the mountain
With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain
All the riches buried there

Come the judgment day

Now the valley cried with anger
“Mount your horses! Draw your sword!”
And they killed the mountain-people
So they won their just reward
Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain, dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it
“Peace on Earth” was all it said

Come the judgment day
Come the judgment day

1 Like

Sad but true history.

This rarely ever happened. The whole phenomenon of soldiers being yelled at spit on when they got home was never actually recorded firsthand, mostly just a bunch of second-hand stories and rumors that turned into a collective false memory. It might have happened sometimes, but whenever actual instances of it were investigated nothing could be corroborated. Nixon mostly just ginned it up to make people who were opposed to his policies in Vietnam look bad. Then they said it in Rambo and it was off to the races from there. Then in Rambo 2 they promoted the POW/MIA myth. The Rambo series is really a bunch of hawks working out some weird stuff.

There was the chant “LBJ, LBJ, How many kids did you kill today?” but that was pretty specific in where it was directed. Meanwhile, a ton of the leaders of the anti-war movement were veterans.

I can’t find the interview where Rise Against said Hero of War was meant to be against the average member of the military. I’m seeing a few where they say it is about how the military treats its members.

1 Like

To your knowledge, does that interview exist? Like have you read it before? Like I said, I’m not a fan of their music, they’re a band who was around when I was young and never heard their songs, so if they did say that then fuck them. It’s just out of character for a band with any mainstream appeal. Even the Dixie chicks never said anything like that.
To me it sounds like someone felt a certain way about this and spread the anti-soldier narrative.

And I did get that piece of news from Rambo lol followed by the scene in born on the 4th of July which was a biography. I have no way of confirming or denying

Never heard of it. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time looking for it so it might still be out there, but that kind of thing is something that would have been shared and reported on probably and I’m not seeing it.

1 Like