Great Government Job Opportunity

Just trying to spread the word to my OG brethren. For anyone with a 4 year degree and/or general job experience (plus decent background), here is a decent job opportunity for those dedicated enough to fill out the application, do the required steps, and have enough patience to get through the whole process.

Only real con is that it takes over a year+ to get through the whole thing, so for anyone interested, here it is:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/372309100

Just curious why you didn't mention the job title in the OP?

BTW, I have a few friends who, post military, joined Customs and Border Patrol and are enjoying it very much. Easy, good money and great benefits.

If I put CBP most people just think Customs and Border Patrol anyways, where as the two are completely different.

Other than that....

Yea I don't really have a great answer lol

For clarification. . .
CBP = Customs and Border Protection.

The Office of Border Patrol (OBP) falls under CBP

The Office of Field Operations (OFO), which runs the ports of entry, also falls under CBP.

OBP is what's know as a 'covered' law enforcement job (retirement pay is higher) and usually works a 10 hour day 5 days per week. True overtime is generally rare.

OFO is not covered. They generally work a fair amount of overtime, sometimes involuntarily due to staffing. Phone Post 3.0

pfsjkd - For clarification. . .

The Office of Field Operations (OFO), which runs the ports of entry, also falls under CBP.

OBP is what's know as a 'covered' law enforcement job (retirement pay is higher) and usually works a 10 hour day 5 days per week. True overtime is generally rare.

OFO is not covered. They generally work a fair amount of overtime, sometimes involuntarily due to staffing. Phone Post 3.0
I thought Customs officers got law enforcement status a few years back? Phone Post 3.0

subbed. thanks

Billyvee -
pfsjkd - For clarification. . .

I thought Customs officers got law enforcement status a few years back? Phone Post 3.0
Actually, you're right. They're now covered. I was under the mistaken impression that since they don't get Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime or Law Enforcement Availability Pay that they hadn't got law enforcement status. Phone Post 3.0

We get to round up illegals and boot them out?

Subbed Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

Do I get to fingerbang illegal messican bitches? Phone Post 3.0

GS-05/07 is shit for this job, screw that

honestus - GS-05/07 is shit for this job, screw that

That is the starting salary. It is a journyman GS 12 position. so you would go 5-7-9-11-12 or if you have a degree 7-9-11-12. Getting a 12 within 4 years is not a bad gig + they do get OT.

KidJustice -
honestus - GS-05/07 is shit for this job, screw that

That is the starting salary. It is a journyman GS 12 position. so you would go 5-7-9-11-12 or if you have a degree 7-9-11-12. Getting a 12 within 4 years is not a bad gig + they do get OT.

what's a "12" ? Phone Post 3.0

GS is Government schedule pay. Each pay level has a number

For example here is the pay schedule for the Denver area where I am employeed.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/14Tables/html/DEN%20(LEO).aspx

GS 12 makes $74, 500 in Denver not including any LEAP "Law Enforcement Availability pay" or AUO" Administrative Uncontrolable Overtime" both which could increase your pay an additional 25%.

I'm a GS 14 /step 4

KidJustice -

GS is Government schedule pay. Each pay level has a number

For example here is the pay schedule for the Denver area where I am employeed.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/14Tables/html/DEN%20(LEO).aspx

GS 12 makes $74, 500 in Denver not including any LEAP "Law Enforcement Availability pay" or AUO" Administrative Uncontrolable Overtime" both which could increase your pay an additional 25%.

I'm a GS 14 /step 4

Good money bro. Right on Phone Post 3.0

Yea, coming in as a GS-5 is a little rough if you have prior bills (mortgage, car payments) but after 3-4 years you'll be pulling in a solid 60-70k as its around an 8k raise each year.

Plus the overtime at busier ports can reach as high as 35k extra with the average being an extra 10-15k a year. Worth it IMO

Ronalee - Yea, coming in as a GS-5 is a little rough if you have prior bills (mortgage, car payments) but after 3-4 years you'll be pulling in a solid 60-70k as its around an 8k raise each year.

Plus the overtime at busier ports can reach as high as 35k extra with the average being an extra 10-15k a year. Worth it IMO

The problem with this generation though is they want to start at GS-12. They think they know everything already.