Greco vs Freestyle: Reasons guys pick 1 over other

greco is more popular then free world wide... only in this country is greco not appreciatted... in fact, in many scandinavian countries, free is referred to as women's wrestling...

there is literally nothing more exciting for fans/wrestlers/coaches than someone getting thrown on the their dome for 5...

freestyle u can do the same throws you do in greco To each there own Ive done both but much prefer freestyle

sure you can, but, the propensity to just dive in on legs and hope and pray is still there (particularly among the US guys who get ruined by folk) and the positions where high amplitude throws present themselves are not as prevalent in free...

you see some of the international guys still get some artistic throws in free some times, but, they have spent a lifetime learning the art of wrestling instead of meathead ride outs and the safety of the edge...

Is it a case of upper body strength vs lower body strength playing a role in which sport you pick as well?

BigMovie - 
SinCityHustler - Bey was recruited by Lindland and went right to full time greco right out of HS. He won the junior worlds (video above) and seniors now becomes his focus. With him, (as wiggum stated above) it was a matter of he really stood out in terms of elite level potential. That's where Lindland made sure to get him over to greco and not to D1 college wrestling. This is key in that there's a focus with Lindland to recruit guys over to their program and not just rely on guys going to greco on their own.

Very interesting prospect. Hope he has time to establish him self before Tokyo 2020.

Has great instinct for wrestling, also interesting seeing him work the parterre when he is on bottom. Wonder how he matches up with the top level seniors.

Bey is a solid national level HS wrestler in folk/free. He’s off the charts in Greco, thus his success (junior world champ). He got tossed to his back today at the Bill Farrel in greco, but was able to come back to win.

HULC - 

Is it a case of upper body strength vs lower body strength playing a role in which sport you pick as well?

Greco is USA’s red headed step child. Unless you truly love the sport, you go freestyle or folk where the prestige is (from within the wrestling community). If you’re in it for MMA reasons, you go folk for the very best style to translate. I like greco culture and great upper body techniques, but the missing entirely leg attacks just makes it incomplete.

Thingading - 

Are there certain features greco guys have that are different than freestyle?

For instance, Couture has said Hendo has the strongest grip of anyone, regardless of size, that he has ever felt when wrestling against. He called it a "gorilla grip." So, for example, is grip strength something more important in greco? Or, is it just something that happens to be useful, if you have it?

I wrestled with Hendo once. He used a move on me that would require such freak strength that you would never bother teaching it.

SinCityHustler -
BigMovie - 
SinCityHustler - Bey was recruited by Lindland and went right to full time greco right out of HS. He won the junior worlds (video above) and seniors now becomes his focus. With him, (as wiggum stated above) it was a matter of he really stood out in terms of elite level potential. That's where Lindland made sure to get him over to greco and not to D1 college wrestling. This is key in that there's a focus with Lindland to recruit guys over to their program and not just rely on guys going to greco on their own.

Very interesting prospect. Hope he has time to establish him self before Tokyo 2020.

Has great instinct for wrestling, also interesting seeing him work the parterre when he is on bottom. Wonder how he matches up with the top level seniors.

Bey is a solid national level HS wrestler in folk/free. He’s off the charts in Greco, thus his success (junior world champ). He got tossed to his back today at the Bill Farrel in greco, but was able to come back to win.

Kamal Bey & Jesse Porter Put On A Show | The most exciting 60 seconds you'll see all day. | By FloWrestling | Facebook

Amazing instincts. His spatial awarness is top top level. Very intelligent how he learns and adapts as he go during the matches. Reminds me of Yowlys Bonne. If he can get international experience on the senior level w the top guys and keep developing he could be a real threat for the years to come .

^^^Proprioception. He’s amazing with it. And his hips must be insanely powerful given how he’s able to avoid going over on some of those positions where he’s been beaten but manages to defend and score himself.

Anek - 
Thingading - 

For instance, Couture has said Hendo has the strongest grip of anyone, regardless of size, that he has ever felt when wrestling against. He called it a "gorilla grip." So, for example, is grip strength something more important in greco? Or, is it just something that happens to be useful, if you have it?

<span class="User-93468" id="userPost62089541">I wrestled with Hendo once. He used a move on me that would require such freak strength that you would never bother teaching it.</span></blockquote>

lol

Care to try to explain the move?

Couture's description of him was incredible.

But then again, Hendo was just a freak of nature. He also had insane innate punching power (ie the "H-bomb").

Brian Stann said he once saw Hendo KO a guy when sparring while both were wearing big, padded gloves and Hendo was moving backwards. I mean, who the hell does that, unless you are just a freak of nature power wise? Rashad Evans said Hendo's jabs felt like a lot of guys' power shots.

Thingading - 
Anek - 
Thingading - 

<span class="User-93468" id="userPost62089541">I wrestled with Hendo once. He used a move on me that would require such freak strength that you would never bother teaching it.</span></blockquote>

lol

Care to try to explain the move?

Couture's description of him was incredible.

But then again, Hendo was just a freak of nature. He also had insane innate punching power (ie the "H-bomb").

Brian Stann said he once saw Hendo KO a guy when sparring while both were wearing big, padded gloves and Hendo was moving backwards. I mean, who the hell does that, unless you are just a freak of nature power wise? Rashad Evans said Hendo's jabs felt like a lot of guys' power shots.

I wasn’t a very good wrestler, but I had an excellent inside trip. I inside tripped pretty much anyone who tied up with me, including all americans and national champs. So our first go, I inside tripped him. I guess he decided to show me who was boss because the second go, the instant I grabbed the collar tie with my right arm, he grabbed the tricep of my right arm with his left arm and gorilla crunched it against him, and then just pivoted his upper body as if he were throwing an H-bomb.

It pulled me right off my feet and I slid across the mat on my side. Then he dropped back and armbarred my trapped arm.

Never felt anything like it before or since.

SinCityHustler -
HULC - 

Greco is USA’s red headed step child. Unless you truly love the sport, you go freestyle or folk where the prestige is (from within the wrestling community). If you’re in it for MMA reasons, you go folk for the very best style to translate. I like greco culture and great upper body techniques, but the missing entirely leg attacks just makes it incomplete.

It’s by far the most abstract of the three.