Green cards for Black Belts?

I train in York, PA, and recently my instructor, Daniel Beleza, was denied his green card application. It's really frustrating watching someone who I not only admire, but is (not to sound cliche) giving the gift of high level jiu jitsu instruction in a part of the country that for the most part doesn't have any spend so much money and go through so much bullshit, only to get shot down. If anyone has any experience in this sort of situation, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Daniel has a lawyer of course, but anything to help him out would be worth it.

Here's the link for a little write up he got in the local paper, if anyone is interested-

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_21391495/york-jiu-jitsu-pro-denied-green-card?fb_action_ids=4572199146453&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%224572199146453%22%3A10152048267520573}&action_type_map={%224572199146453%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map

That sucks.

Immigration is a perfect example of just how completely schizophrenic our government is.

If he were an uneducated Mexican who sneaked across the border to California, then government would bend over backwards with programs to help him and his children despite their "illegal status".

Often people like him who "play by the rules" get the short end of the stick when it comes to immigration.

I wish him the best.

Thanks Shen

I didn't read the article so the answers to these questions might be in there.

What was the status of his immigration?
How was he trying to obtain citizenship? Work? Marriage? Other?
How long has he been here?

shen - That sucks.

Immigration is a perfect example of just how completely schizophrenic our government is.

If he were an uneducated Mexican who sneaked across the border to California, then government would bend over backwards with programs to help him and his children despite their "illegal status".

Often people like him who "play by the rules" who get the short end of the stick when it comes to immigration.

I wish him the best.

This.

It is freaking crazy that our government will spend billions of our dollars giving illegal Mexicans healthcare, scholarships, and other perks that you should be getting only for being a contributing member of society, and a guy jumps through all the right hoops, spends money, follows the rules and then gets the shaft.

Fucked up. Phone Post

Totaldude, he's been here since 2008, and he's applying as a professional athlete.

I have a close friend that can not come back to America, at least for now. He too is an Amazing black belt in my eyes. For me it's a kick in the nuts. I grew up in Texas where I've know illegals(coworkers), that brag about going "home" and coming back whenever they want. I've said it and said it. We are border-less, unless you do what you're supposed to do, the paperwork. It seems you apply like a man and you get shot down. Based on my life experiences Phone Post

Hit the UG or OG w/ this as well. Lawyers are all over this site. Some may specialize in this.

and on the off chance he's been dating a U.S. Citizen for some time that would mutually want to marry him, there's an option. i'm not advocating doing it for the card, but if he's in a committed relationship w/ a woman that wants to marry him out of love, if that is even an option, he could do that.

Payitforward, I thought about it, but grimaced at the inevitable "he should get legal assistance from the WFA" I'd invariably get from the losers on the OG :)

^ you'll get that, but this exact topic was talked about years ago... good folks will chime in w/ good info... it's not like you're posting in the UG about an ex gf you cheated on or some shit.... it's a legit bb in need of help.

ttt Phone Post

shen: "Immigration is a perfect example of just how completely schizophrenic our government is.

"If he were an uneducated Mexican who sneaked across the border to California, then government would bend over backwards with programs to help him and his children despite their 'illegal status.' Often people like him who "play by the rules" who get the short end of the stick when it comes to immigration."

Here's an infuriating glimpse at that exact phenomenon, not-so-ironically from a right-wing immigration restrictionist website.

http://www.vdare.com/articles/a-legal-asian-student-s-letter-to-pat-buchanan

The U.S. used to be better about soliciting immigration out of relative need. And we definitely need, for example, BJJ black belts, to help whip our testosterone-depleted, Asperger's-afflicted males back into some sort of shape.

Instead we'll keep amnestying Mexicans and Somalis by the thousands whilst making life more difficult for the Belezas of the world.

I'm a lawyer in Philadelphia. One of my partners has done exactly this for a few BJJ black belts. You mentioned that he has a lawyer, but if she can help out, let me know and I'll get you in touch.