greg jackson responds

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days notice and I don't think it's smart to do that. Three days to fight a guy that caliber is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but thought it wasn't a wise course of action. It's a serious fight with serious ramifications. I didn't mean to cancel an event and was asked to give an opinion and I gave it. I didn't know they had it all riding on one fight. It's one of those things...as a trainer. I'll give you my opinion. I'm not a yes man...I do what's best for my guy. I'm surprised by the veracity of his response but that's my opinion. In this case (of the short notice fight), it's a world title fight in the best sport in the world on three days notice. This isn't backyard brawling...it's a professional sport. I think Chael is brilliant. He circumvented an entire division...went right from Anderson (Silva) to Jon. It's brilliant...he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm always impressed by him."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/23/3263470/greg-jackson-responds-dana-white-ufc-152-jon-jones-vs-chael-sonnen#storyjump

Did he think it was in 3 days?

He thought it was this weekend too?
So did I lol Phone Post

Waits for jackson to check his diary

"Hi Dana oh sorry thought it was this weekend, my mistake, we'll take the fight with the middleweight now"

He said in the rest of the interview that it was essentially 3 days notice due to all of the media obligations, weigh ins etc. Bascially, that they would only have 3 days to specifically and fully train for Sonnen.

I think he means 3 days left of hard training Phone Post

People hating on Jackson and Jones for this are not very bright.

Nobody in their right mind at that level would just take what they're given like that. Dana and Co SHOULD know this....they're not dealing with the lower caliber fighters who basically HAVE to take what they're given.

Plus if Dana and the crew had every single thing riding on this one fight then it's their fault for putting on such a weak card. Again.

I'm genuinely curious to know what Jackson's response been had Shogun said no to Jones because of the short notice.

I'd imagine something like "We train year round here. Our guys are always ready to go. I always say the toughest fight is the one inside our gym, because we have the best guys in the world. They know the easy and fun part is the fight night. So yeah, it's disappointing to know that other camps don't necessarily have the same mentality"

I look at it this way, and the same could be said for Gracie too. The fact that I have a strong opinion of both guys, is wrong because it overshadows fighters guys who fight out of their camp. Guys who run camps should be, at their best moments, fucking invisible to the world.

Veracity?

But it wasn't 3 days notice it was 8.......

If only 3 day training left it mean Sonnen would have only had a 3 day camp.....

nhbguy - He said in the rest of the interview that it was essentially 3 days notice due to all of the media obligations, weigh ins etc. Bascially, that they would only have 3 days to specifically and fully train for Sonnen.

... and Sonnen would have the same time to train for JBJ.

Motivated Penn - Veracity?

lulz...that's what I was thinking too

The reason why you take the fight on short notice is because it's short notice for Sonnen too.

Sonnen is also 20 pounds lighter and is out of shape.

You want to wait until he's in shape and is more muscular just because you have a better gameplan?

You have every OTHER advantage.

me101 - But it wasn't 3 days notice it was 8.......

If only 3 day training left it mean Sonnen would have only had a 3 day camp.....

Chael doesn't go to camp, or sleep in tents. He is a man, and he goes to practice.

where's your flow chart string theory now playboy?

Stephen Holder - 
rrg1 - People hating on Jackson and Jones for this are not very bright.

Nobody in their right mind at that level would just take what they're given like that. Dana and Co SHOULD know this....they're not dealing with the lower caliber fighters who basically HAVE to take what they're given.

Plus if Dana and the crew had every single thing riding on this one fight then it's their fault for putting on such a weak card. Again.

umm Chael (who normally fights at middleweight) would have had like what a week to train when Jones had an entire camp? Fuckouttahere.

lol @ you not able to understand that Sonnen has nothing to lose and everything to gain vs Jones. Also, not understanding that Jones is the champion and shouldn't be expected to take whatever is thrown his way on a short notice. I'll throw this gem in again: This is nothing more than Dana's fault for putting every single thing on ONE fight...

There should be an IQ test to join this site.

Take a fight with a middleweight with bad sub defense coming off a TKO loss with no training camp, while Jones has had a full camp. Get an immediate rematch should you lose and have a perfect excuse of last minute opponent. Doesn't seem very risky to me. Wonder if he pissed off sponsors like Nike which would make it an even dumber move.

JBJ had ALL the advantages going into this fight. ALL OF THEM. FFS he's fighting another Team Quest guy even. My god fuck them. I don't wanna hear his bs excuses.

Not to mention Chael is a smaller version of Dan with less knockout power.

Tell me what changes in gameplan would Jon need to do?

perfy - Take a fight with a middleweight with bad sub defense coming off a TKO loss with no training camp, while Jones has had a full camp. Get an immediate rematch should you lose and have a perfect excuse of last minute opponent. Doesn't seem very risky to me. Wonder if he pissed off sponsors like Nike which would make it an even dumber move.

You're 100% correct; It doesn't seem risky to you or anyother keyboard warrior around here...

Now to the guy who has everything to lose and nothing to really gain, it's opposite...