Greg Jackson: "We tried to knock him out..."

Greg Jackson: 'We tried to knock him out but Josh Koscheck is really tough'

Walter_tiny by Geno Mrosko

"He tried really hard to knock him out but Koscheck is really tough. Like I said, Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch... I want to make this clear; these guys are not some bums. These guys are fantastic, phenomenal fighters. For Georges to win is one thing; for Georges to dominate is another thing. If he's lucky enough to get some finishes in, that's great. We're trying to finish them. It's just kind of hard when they're incredibly tough."

-- Trainer to the stars Greg Jackson tells Sherdog his prized pupil, Georges St. Pierre, tried really hard to knock out resident welterweight bad boy Josh Koscheck. Problem is, "Kos" is no chump who, despite a broken face, kept coming back for more. And now that GSP has defended his 170-pound strap five consecutive times, seemingly without even breaking a sweat, critics have taken aim at the one knock against the soft-spoken French-Canadian -- his apparent lack of killer instinct and ability to definitively put away his opponents. Is simply winning not enough? Is a finish more important than a five round destruction? Have at it, Maniacs.

As much as I dislike koscheck, you've got to give the guy props for fighting the champ in Canada for five punishing rounds Phone Post

" Georges St. Pierre, tried really hard to knock out resident welterweight bad boy Josh Koscheck. Problem is, "Kos" is no chump"

Pretty bizarre comments from Jackson.  Do we really accept that GSP can only finish chumps but not the tough guys?  What kind of crap is that?  

In that whole fight, in the 4th round GSP threw a mean combination that had knockout written all over it. Unfortunately that was the only time he seemed to have looked for the knockout. GSP has never knocked anyone out in his career, perhaps he suffers from what bisping suffers, pillow hands. People say that gsp messed up his face, but if i punched him the same amount of times he'd have a mouse and a swollen eye just the same. 4

.. still waiting for the big punch..

Has GSP ever dropped anyone with a punch? He doesn't really need to but curious to see it.

Forget about the knockout, what's up with GSP's swollen stomach? Looks like a well-trained beer tummy but I doubt he drinks that much beer.

joe k - Forget about the knockout, what's up with GSP's swollen stomach? Looks like a well-trained beer tummy but I doubt he drinks that much beer.

I was thinking about this the whole fight. Doesn't HGH make your stomache swell?

Ok. Anyone who comments negatively on gsp if you have never fought competitively you don't know what you are talking about and your opinion is lower on the totem pole than the grubbiest earth worm to ever crawl in the filthiest cesspit on earth.

If you have fought competitivly then each and every one of your fights better have ended with a finish on your part or you are more pathetic than the noncompetitor. At least they have the excuse of not knowing what they talk about. You also are enormous hypocrites and should post diatribes against yourselves each and every time you don't finish a fight about what a bore and safe fighter or whatever else your complaint against GSP is that you are.

Jessy30 - Ok. Anyone who comments negatively on gsp if you have never fought competitively you don't know what you are talking about and your opinion is lower on the totem pole than the grubbiest earth worm to ever crawl in the filthiest cesspit on earth.

If you have fought competitivly then each and every one of your fights better have ended with a finish on your part or you are more pathetic than the noncompetitor. At least they have the excuse of not knowing what they talk about. You also are enormous hypocrites and should post diatribes against yourselves each and every time you don't finish a fight about what a bore and safe fighter or whatever else your complaint against GSP is that you are.

Jessy30 - Ok. Anyone who comments negatively on gsp if you have never fought competitively you don't know what you are talking about and your opinion is lower on the totem pole than the grubbiest earth worm to ever crawl in the filthiest cesspit on earth.

KingOfFighters - In that whole fight, in the 4th round GSP threw a mean combination that had knockout written all over it. Unfortunately that was the only time he seemed to have looked for the knockout. GSP has never knocked anyone out in his career, perhaps he suffers from what bisping suffers, pillow hands. People say that gsp messed up his face, but if i punched him the same amount of times he'd have a mouse and a swollen eye just the same. 4

Lmao. A. You couldn't punch him if your life depended on it.
B. You couldn't give a mouse a swollen eye or mouse.
C. Really? you have the jab power of gsp?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Do you fight? do you know the jab and the leg kick are used to set up the power shots? Greg Jackson was shouting advice that would allow gsp to do this most effectively.

I boxed around 4-5 years, and did jiu jitsu for about 1. So I'm fairly confident I'd atleast get his eye swollen shut.

You know back in the day people mostly traded techniques, experiences, what set ups they were having difficulty with. The majority of the posters on this site TRAINED, not TRANED like you tuf'ers and tenners.

What the fuck does greg jackson know about boxing? As Gsp was circling with his job he kept dropping his right hand, and I'm like these tenners are actually going to think GSP has awesome standup. Had koscheck known his shit, he would of timed his distance, space, and tap that chin with a left hook.

In the 5h round he should have at least loaded up or threw a few combinations, Koscheck was done at that point.

So in that four to five years did you win every fight by ko? or did you actually compete? James toney fights with his lead hand at his knee... Does he know nothing about boxing?

also you are clearly referring to boxing stand up. You seen to believe that mma standup should be the same. Again lol at Greg Jackson not knowing anything about boxing. Lol at kos not knowing his shit.

Arecsa - "Circle and jab" = trying to finish? GTFO, Jackson.

This.

GSP did try to finish he was throwing some hard shots off his jabs and kicks every time something landed solid he would come in with power, He fought smart he isn't going to just start throwing bombs and get caught cause he got sloppy.

He setup everything with his jab and kicks and moved in with power like any smart fighter should, You open their defense and throw off their timing with those shots then bring power behind them.

He just failed to land most of those power shots cause Kos was able to duck out of the way pretty fast most of the time.

Jackson was simply keeping GSP focused on working his jab so he wouldn't get worked up and start throwing unnecessary bombs trying to force the KO.....And it worked great.

DSaint - 
ironyuppie - .. still waiting for the big punch..

Has GSP ever dropped anyone with a punch? He doesn't really need to but curious to see it.

jAY HERION NOOB

I don't remember anyone else ever dropping Jon Fitch either, but I guess youre right, he is the weakest puncher at welterweight

IRISH ARE INFERIOR TO GREEKS - this is the difference between fedor and gsp.

fedor fought cro cop and nog in their prime, far more dangerous than anyone gsp has ever faced. he didnt clinch and hold or jab and circle. he went fot the KILL from bell to bell.

The very reason he ended up losing to Werdum by (Triangle), He got overly aggressive and it cost him big time, Aggression is fine as long as it remains focused if it becomes blind you are setting yourself up to fail.

Arecsa -
So how many more rounds does he need before he starts throwing this big punch? 4 rounds of circling and putting jabs in a half blind Kos' face wasn't enough? Didn't Roach say GSP would knock out Koscheck with a left hook? He must have forgot to show him how to throw one.

http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=70&q=75&x=24&y=1&w=661&h=461&ro=0&s=georges-st-pierre-josh-koscheck.png

It's right there on the front page of this website, dude.