Growing Garlic

Anyone growing garlic or any other fall crop?

I'm in Zone 8A.

Currently have 3 different hardneck varieties in the ground: Spanish Roja, Purple Glazer, and Music. Started with 3 pounds of seed each.
Looking forward to scapes in the spring and harvest in mid/late summer. First year growing garlic so we'll see.

May start some lettuce and root vegetables soon.

4 Likes

I’ve done it just from bulbs I let sit around in a closet too long that started sprouting 

I planted some for the first time this fall.

My neighbor grows over 50 varieties. He's got spreadsheets for his garlic, lol.

1 Like

Not yet but would like to start! 

Have some in the ground but no idea on the variety. Zone 9a

Currently only that, some onions, radishes, kale, arugula, spinach. None of my lettuce came up. 

My dad grows it every winter and will give me enough to last several months.

1 Like

Unfortunately I haven't successfully grown garlic 

I have a few plants this season, we'll see how they do. I'm in zone 10 but I've got it in a partial shade area. 

Im zone 4a, I threw some in the ground in the fall...I guess Ill see what happens come spring

Is everyone growing for personal consumption? Hoping to sell at market or CSA?

I'm hoping to cover our personal consumption and save for next years seed. If I can grow additional seed maybe long term sell at my local farmers market or pub. My immediate space is limited but I have a couple buddies with acreage that they said I could use. Currently hay fields so work would have to be put in.

Is anyone amending there soil? Raised rows? I just threw them shits on the ground?
I have a sandy-sandy loam soil. I've amended about a year ago with ~1/2 yard kitchen scrap/leaf compost and 4yds mushroom compost about a year ago. Grew vegetables in that last summer and now the garlic. Alaskan fish emulsion for fertilizer.

inter

esting

RocG -

I planted some for the first time this fall.

My neighbor grows over 50 varieties. He's got spreadsheets for his garlic, lol.

This is from the house warming gift my neighbor gave me. Each bulb is labeled with the variety.

2 Likes

8B, I grown Russian and Elephant garlic.

Hessian - 8B, I grown Russian and Elephant garlic.

Is 8B your growing zone? That's hot for cold weather garlic.

In...

For the Vampire apocalypse.....

In

RocG - 
Hessian - 8B, I grown Russian and Elephant garlic.

Is 8B your growing zone? That's hot for cold weather garlic.

I get two or three grows a year out of it.

West Coast BC, this summer I'll look at figuring out what is the best suited for me to continue growing year round. The overall size is lower then expected, I think I have been making up for it in my growing conditions.

RhinoHog -

In...

For the Vampire apocalypse.....

It’s probably too hot where you are at. They typically need a few weeks of cold soil temps to start bulb formation. Fall planting is probably a must in your zone. Softneck varieties may do better than hardneck.

I’m eagerly awaiting to see if what I planned last fall comes up.