GSP circuit workout

ttt

ttt

i can't post the link on the thread, IM me if you want it.

AIM: Uhfelons

uhfelons, i don't have AIM, only yahoo!. can you email me the link? jamesd47408@yahoo.com

thanks

ttt

I will add this routine to my own.  Thanks for posting.

If you decide to do something like this, just be sure to start off with VERY light weights - you'll burn yourself out in a hurry if not.  Martin Rooney does complexes similar to this (as opposed to Randy's circuit which is more along the lines of a Javorek complex) with the guys at Renzo's, and IIRC, they'll do five rounds with only up to 75 lbs. or so...

Wiggy - MMA Training

All i can say is that the poster is a man of his word.

wiggy, what are the pros/cons to this type of circuit as opposed to a javorek complex?

is this circuit geared more towards explosiveness/speed as opposed to strength?

ttt

I did this workout awhile back, I can basically credit it for changing my entire training regime.

Props to uhfelons for the vid link!

And fyi, it's a clean and press he does with the shoulder circuit, not a clean and jerk.

editing...

The difference between this type of complex/circuit and the Team Quest/Randy/Javorek type complexes is that these involve more "traditional" (for lack of a better term) type exercises.  While TQ/Javorek complexes are made up of primarily squat/lunge variations, vertical pulling exercises, and the occasional vertical push, these will have more horizontal plane movements, more isolation exercises (curls, triceps, etc.), etc.

Javorek type complexes (depending on exactly which exercises are chosen) can generally be done with a little more weight.  The limiting factor (as far as weight goes) in these type of circuits is your weakest exercise.  In a Javorek type complex, it's usually an upright row.  Here on the other hand, it might be a curl or the like.

I wouldn't say *any* of these types of programs are for strength, in that you have to use such light (comparitvely overall) loads to complete them.  Javoreks are good for overall body conditioning, muscular/strength endurance, as well as cardiovascular fitness.  Rooney's complexes are generally longer in that they consist of more exercises, though with the lighter weights, the overall work (in terms of pounds lifted) will probably be pretty close to a Javorek complex.  GSP's circuit (as listed) would have it's main benefit in specific muscular endurance (as you're putting so much training at one time into specific muscle groups rather than training the entire body).

Personally, while GSP's program obviously works great for him, and I wouldn't tell him to change it, for us regular folk, I'd recommend a Rooney or Javorek type of complex instead. 

In my Program #1 of "Working Class Fitness - The Programs", I actually designed a good overall strength/power program combined with a good set of complexes that are (what I feel) the best of both worlds.  For what that's worth...

Hope that helps and sorry for the FRAT.

Wiggy

PS - if you like the look of my programs, and want to get in on the crazy deal I have for my newsletter/blog readers (it's only $10!!) - click HERE.

aren't you typically suppposed to just work out each major muscle group once a week?

^^Too broad of a question. You have to take into account what is the goal of training, type of training being used, the experience of the trainee, etc.

It's an extreme example, but Bulgarian Olympic lifters are known to workout up to 3x/day with near maximal loads, 4-6 days/week. And they're some of the best O-lifters in the world. Of course they've been in a nationalized training program forever, are almost assuredly (sp?) "enhanced" etc., but just throwing it out there...

Wiggy

I see. I just keep getting told that overtraining is worse than undertraining and that your muscles generally need at least 48 hours to rest between workouts. Obviously everyone is different and there are exceptions, but I always believed this was the general rule for any type of weightlifting.

can you copy paste the embed html? so i can embed them in the beginning of this thread? much appreciated

ttt