GSP "I fight safe"

By Jesse Motiff - May 26, 2010 | ©Insidefights.com

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre has received some criticism lately for not finishing fights. St. Pierre has fought to a decision victory in three of his last four fights including fights with Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves, and most recently with Dan Hardy at UFC 111 in March.

Critics really took note of St. Pierre’s style against Hardy as it appeared he could have submitted the British fighter on more than one occasion in the bout, but the champion refused to break Hardy’s arm as it appeared as that’s what it would take to win the fight.

St. Pierre recently spoke with MMAJunkie.com and explained his thinking and reasoning for fighting safe.

“That’s true. I fight safe, and I’m not going to hide it.”

“I’m fighting safe. Every time I step into the octagon, my life is in jeopardy. For me, it’s more important to not get hit than to hit the guy. I will never fight in a way [in which] I fight like I flip a coin… I never took risks. The only fight I took a risk was when I fought Matt Serra, and I went in a stupid exchange, and it was not smart. I got caught; Serra beat me fair and square, and he deserved the victory that night. But it taught me a good lesson, and I don’t want it to happen again.”

www.scrappfightmag.com/  for the entire article.

Its not what fans want to hear, but he is great at what he does.

St-Pierre: I play it safe and I'm not going to hid 

(123) [13627] by Underground News - 1 2 3 4LP 

The Underground News, Editor

Translation: "I FIGHT BORING"

BanTheUKmmaNoobs - Translation: "I FIGHT BORING"

Since Dan Hardy threw a 10th of the punches and had an even worse display of grappling, where does that place him compared to a fighter that you say fights boring?

hes a smart fighter, hes like the floyd mayweather of mma

i don't watch gsp ppv's. ill wait until he starts finishing opponents.

ausgepicht - 
BanTheUKmmaNoobs - Translation: "<b>I FIGHT BORING</b>"
Since Dan Hardy threw 10th of the punches, and had an even worse display of grappling where does that place him compared to a fighter that you say fights boring?

The difference is, Hardy was fighting a superiour opponent.

i disagree wth GSPs assessment of himself. He doesn't fight safe, he fights smart. You don't go for armbars EVER, if you're fighting safe. There's too much of a chance you lose position.

Koscheck fought safe against PD, as an example.

GSP's a lame.

Dan Hardy is not as lame, but he is another weirdo cocky brit.

As an MMA fan, I watch to watch the best MMA fighters trying their best to win. I don't want to watch two guys trying to "make it exciting". I enjoy watching guys try to win intelligently.

If GSP is beating his opponents and playing it safe, then the onus is on his opponents make him work and not play it safe. If GSP has you in sidemount and you can't escape, he should be able to sit there all day and win. It's not his problem that you suck too much to beat him.

Jenny Wishbone - 
ausgepicht - 
BanTheUKmmaNoobs - Translation: "<b>I FIGHT BORING</b>"

Since Dan Hardy threw 10th of the punches, and had an even worse display of grappling where does that place him compared to a fighter that you say fights boring?

The difference is, Hardy was fighting a superiour opponent.
That's weak sauce and you know it. Dan Hardy's fights in the UFC is like this: 4-1 with 3 CLOSE decisions...one KO.....wow SOOOOOO exciting. What was Dan's excuses for being boring in fights he WON? Hardy's punching power myth was based on fighting cabbies with 2-22 records and Rory Markham. He's one of the most boring fighters to watch in the UFC. Arona is more exciting.

As I said....weak sauce.

Since he is French, he may have misspoken.

He fights intelligently, without taking unnecessary risks.

ostapbjj - As an MMA fan, I watch to watch the best MMA fighters trying their best to win. I don't want to watch two guys trying to "make it exciting". I enjoy watching guys try to win intelligently.

If GSP is beating his opponents and playing it safe, then the onus is on his opponents make him work and not play it safe. If GSP has you in sidemount and you can't escape, he should be able to sit there all day and win. It's not his problem that you suck too much to beat him.

THIS. Don't know why it's so hard to understand. GSP doesn't want to stand and wang with you? School him on the ground so his best option is standing. GSP doesn't want to grapple with you? School him standing so he wants to go to the ground. I think the same people claiming he's boring either don't understand that he's got a complete/well rounded game AND had better not be the same people saying 'to be the champ you've got to beat the champ'.

Droppin Loads On Your Face Son - zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i do the same thing during his fights.

I think its just a shame because he has such beautiful striking. He was like a video game character or Bruce Lee come back to life. He could dart in and out and throw some real pretty stuff.

His head kick of Matt Hughes being one of the best examples.

Can't fault him for using his superior wrestling to avoid his opponents 'punchers chance' but its a shame...

Anyone who thinks GSP fights are boring does not deserve to watch our sport.   Please leave.

so if he fought anderson, anderson would dance around while GSP circles.

flesheatingbull - 
Droppin Loads On Your Face Son - zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i do the same thing during his fights.

You drop loads on people's face?

GSP has evolve from a MMA fighter to a Cage Wrestler..Fedor would likely laugh at his statement