GSP now a BJJ blackbelt

wow Congrats.

PrettyBoy - i'm not impressed with his promotion

lol! I think some people won't get it.

Congrats to GSP!

Massa - Congrats GSP.

Blue Belt from Wagnney Fabiano (Nova Uniao)
Purple Belt from Fabio Holanda (BTT)
Brown Belt from Renzo Gracie (Gracie)
Black Belt from Bruno Fernandes (Gracie Barra).

Its like a "Who's Who" list of instructors and fight teams.

no kidding, thats wild.

I like this trend of awarding belts to guys who are more known for their jiu-jitsu in MMA than for grappling.

After all, the competition presence of BJJ was more focused on vale tudo than grappling for like it's first 50 years. People forget that Mundials have only been around since 1996, but jiu-jitsu fighters have been fighting in vale tudo matches since at least 1932 (Helio vs. Antonio Portugal--a boxer). This focus on pure grappling is a new thing.

Not surprising. GSP has been black belt level for a while. Much deserved.

Guys dont forget that GSP's full time job is to train, so its totaly beliveble that he can go from purple to black in two years.

the average person trains 2 to 3 times a week, gsp trains much more than that and dont forget that he is a genetic freak.

Well deserved!

He will be the first to tap BJ Penn in MMA.

GSP turned down the promotion a couple of months ago. What's different now that would make him accept it?

If Renzo says he deserves it i find it hard to beleive anyone could/would question it. I do beleive that man knows who deserves the belt they get!

Tap21 - I like this trend of awarding belts to guys who are more known for their jiu-jitsu in MMA than for grappling.

After all, the competition presence of BJJ was more focused on vale tudo than grappling for like it's first 50 years. People forget that Mundials have only been around since 1996, but jiu-jitsu fighters have been fighting in vale tudo matches since at least 1932 (Helio vs. Antonio Portugal--a boxer). This focus on pure grappling is a new thing.

before the mundials they just had the brazilian national championships, which was more or less the defacto world championship, bjj wasnt really wide spread yet