GSP reveals he made 10s of millions as champion

“So after I won the championship in 2008, I took a big gamble on myself and told UFC I was not going to re-sign with them. And then, the day before my fight with Jon Fitch, the UFC came back with a big, crazy contract because they didn’t want me to become a free agent. You read I made $400,000 a match? No. I made a lot more than that. A lot more than that. Millions. When I was at the peak of my career, I was making many millions of dollars.”

When he returned in November 2017 and won the UFC middleweight title against Michael Bisping, St-Pierre said he made “about $10 million” for the fight.

3 Likes

But but but I thought Dana lowballs and underpays fighters?

3 Likes

Is he to be blamed for the champ clause they use?

Clearly GSP getting the big bucks means Dana is very easy to negotiate with and generous to the majority of the roster, right? 3 and 3 to fight Karo in his debut. Lol

4 Likes

Fighters getting pissed at the amount of money Youtube boxers are making, so GSP rocks the boat by declaring how much he used to make as champ.

Clever girl.

2 Likes

The aliens programmed Georges to say this. He actually made about tree-fiddy.

3 Likes

I remember there were rumors going around that he was getting 8 figures a year in endorsements for years as UFC champion.

GSP is the greatest fighter in the history of the sport. The fact that he made 10s of millions proves nothing about whether Dana underpays fighters.

The UFC pays out 20% of its profits to fighters. Other sports pay out 50%. That’s a fact, shown in court documents and acknowledged as true by the UFC.

4 Likes

We’re all aware of the realities of fighter pay and the lower total revenue percentage. It was just a joke. I’m trying to throw out some troll bait and here you come atepping on my setup with your logic and common sense again. Damn you!

2 Likes

Other sports aren’t privately owned businesses and they play their games in arenas that are paid for by tax dollars. This revenue argument is the height of stupidity. It’s workers vs management at its finest and the reality for every business is that the workers could never start or operate the business and that’s why they’re the workers. It’s just a tough pill to swallow for most.

5 Likes

Jay Z is rich = every rapper makes good money.

1 Like

He made too much as a decision pointfighting machine

He does if he can. This is probably why Ali Abdelaziz is so loved by his fighters, cos he knows how to negotiate with Dana.

His defenses were against legit competition most of which hadnt lost a fight or been finished in years or ever finished at all.

He beat the fuck outta people for a half hour over and over. It is a testament to how tough they were, not how weak he was.

He was also small for the division, barely cutting weight.

6 Likes

“About $10 million” is great money, but as the only draw on a PPV that sold 875,000? Still low.

2 Likes

These guys fight 2-3 times a year. So I guess people here think they should be making 40-60 million a year. That would basically make them the highest paid athletes in the world in a second tier sport. These threads are just funny.
It’s still a sport where a good athlete can train 5 years and be at the highest level and possibly a champion. You routinely fight competition that is absolutely awful, even in the ufc. It’s a sport that is absolutely not mainstream and about 80% of the general public couldn’t name a single fighter. Yet, people here think the fighters should be the highest paid athletes in the world lol.

3 Likes

No, but a higher cut of revenue absolutely. If ufc doubled fighter pay it would be aroundish 40% . Where as most sports that are on espn and other major tv networks payput in the margin of 50%. With better insurances etc if there career chrashes because of injury!

So the fighters are truly being taken advantage of for no good reason. That reason is fighters are negotiating as individuals all the Time - compared to other sports where there is some negotiations regard pay levels in the respektive League before there is ”individual” negotiations.

1 Like

You sound like the boss’s son.

4 Likes

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/magazine/gsp