GSP says Ben Askren is the legacy fight

laqualo - 

Gsp was retired 

looked rough when he won the mw title ?

Yes he looked bad against Bisping…id still love to see how Gsps wrestling compared to Askrens…if GSP wanted to keep it on the feet, could he?

cantuna4u -
rushinbear - Ben is retired...
Yeah. Like Cole Konrad.

Cole Konrad retired? 

ons ear - GSP/Askren is a great fight..GSP looked kind of rough last time out though..

GSP isn’t the same since the knee surgeries. He was very noticably different in his 3 fights after them, before going into semi-retirement, and he looked even more different with the return vs Bisping.

I think he’s lost the ability to execute the explosive TD’s he was so known for because of those knees. Which is why I think he focused on his striking (mostly) in all 4 fights after the surgeries. I know he took Bisping down, but if memory serves it looked much, much slower than all his pre-surgery TD’s. I’d have to rewatch the fight to be sure.

Simply put, this isn’t prime GSP anymore. I’m a big GSP fan, but I think Askren could win this.

Then again, regardless or prime or post-prime, this is GSP we’re talking about. So maybe the fight is 50/50, really hard to say. But if this had happened in 2010-2012, 100% GSP for the win.

From a recap on another site for those who are just writing without first listening...

“Ben Askren, I don’t understand why he’s not in UFC, because he’s one of the best welterweights in the world,” St-Pierre said on The MMA Hour via MMA Fighting. “I think it has to do with maybe a problem that he has with Dana White, but he’s one of the best fighters in the world. And if there’s a guy that in my career, for my legacy, that would have been good to fight, it would have been Ben Askren, because he beat everybody. He beat all the guys in Bellator. He beat all the champions outside of the UFC. But unfortunately, I think he had a fallout with Dana and he never had the chance to fight in the UFC. And therefore, his stock never went to the value that it’s supposed to be at,” said St-Pierre, who quickly reminded fight fans that MMA is, after all, a money-making business.

“He’s a guy who’s extremely, extremely talented, a very dangerous guy, but nobody knows who he is because he’s never been exposed to the public. But he’s very good. In order to have a fight with me, I would have liked him to be exposed to the public so his stock goes up, so if I fight him, at least it’s a win-win situation. Otherwise you fight a guy who’s extremely dangerous who nobody cares about, who nobody knows who he is. It’s sad, but that’s the real way to look at it. And the reason why I’m saying that in your interview now is because I want people to be aware of who he is, I want him to have a chance to fight in the UFC, to go fight against the big dogs, the big boys of the sport, and I think he’s in certainly the top five, maybe the top three in the welterweight division.”

Would pay top dollar to see that fight.