GSP the only one who didn’t forget his wrestling?

So Whittaker didn’t attempt one TD,

DC abandoned his wrestling after the first TD in the rematch,

Aldo has top notch BJJ and pretty legit offensive wrestling too but never really uses either,

I’m sure there are more cases but seems like GSP is the only good striker who still included his wrestling not as as a counter or reactive element but as part of his core comprehensive game right along side his striking.

Is he the only good striker that did this?

I guess Frankie and Weidman do both equally?

Seems like most dont utilitilize wrestling enough even as a threat to open up their striking.

I guess Cruz is another?

2 Likes

The 3 smart fighters you mentioned are all associated with Renzo's academy.

3 Likes

Great post.

I actually don’t know how good Bobby’s offensive wrestling is. The worst example ever of forgetting wrestling has to be DC in the Stipe rematch. He used his wrestling, easily got the takedown and beat Stipe up only to abandon what was a very successful strategy.

I always wondered whether Aldo had knee issues that prohibited him from using his wrestling. It was good and his BJJ was excellent.

Top guys with good striking who never forgot their wrestling: GSP, TJ, Cruz, Frankie (although Frankie forgot his leg kicks on far too many occasions), Cain, Weidman all come to mind.

Jones' wrestling used to be unstoppable. Hasn't looked as good recently.

1 Like

Add: Randy and Mendes, as well.

wiggum - Great post.

I actually don’t know how good Bobby’s offensive wrestling is. The worst example ever of forgetting wrestling has to be DC in the Stipe rematch. He used his wrestling, easily got the takedown and beat Stipe up only to abandon what was a very successful strategy.

I always wondered whether Aldo had knee issues that prohibited him from using his wrestling. It was good and his BJJ was excellent.

Top guys with good striking who never forgot their wrestling: GSP, TJ, Cruz, Frankie (although Frankie forgot his leg kicks on far too many occasions), Cain, Weidman all come to mind.

Same thing with Aldo and his leg kicks, they were so god damn good what feels like a decade ago

Fedor also tends to abandon his judo/sambo

InTheClosetCucumberBoy - 
wiggum - Great post.

Same thing with Aldo and his leg kicks, they were so god damn good what feels like a decade ago

Yeah, he stopped after breaking his foot in the TKZ fight.

EKPOGI - 

Fedor also tends to abandon his judo/sambo

Good one.

Askren and Colby still wrestle a ton 

GaspareBJJ - 

OP’s question was about “good strikers.”

At this point, I guess we have to call Colby a good striker due to his volume. So, he should be on the list because he knows his striking only works due to his wrestling.

Askren doesn’t really throw punches.

wiggum - Add: Randy and Mendes, as well.

Mendes really never had great striking he just had power, he was basically a wrestler with ko power. 

jasperb - 
wiggum - Add: Randy and Mendes, as well.

Mendes really never had great striking he just had power, he was basically a wrestler with ko power. 

I disagree. I think his wrestling was excellent during the Bang years. From about the Cody McKenzie fight through the Lamas fight.

wiggum -
GaspareBJJ - 

At this point, I guess we have to call Colby a good striker due to his volume. So, he should be on the list because he knows his striking only works due to his wrestling.

My bad didn’t read that

much hahaah

GaspareBJJ - 
wiggum -
GaspareBJJ - 

My bad didn’t read that

much hahaah

Happens to the best of us.

Hendo also rarely used his wrestling,not sure if he counts as a great striker or he just have elite ko power

I'm talking about guys whose striking is good enough to compete in the feet but who start forgetting about their wrestling to even mix up their attack.

Mendes was absolutely a very good striker (toe to toe with Aldo) but he never forgot about his wrestling. In fact, the Aldo fight is a great example - he got a few tds iirc tho Aldo got back from from them all? And Mendes also would do things like fake the TD and come up with an uppercut. THIS is exactly what I’m talking about - so Aldo has to worry about both Mendes’ striking and wrestling.

RE: Whittaker’s offensive wrestling - True Wiggs, we’ve never seen it in MMA however it surely would have helped mix it up vs Israel esp as Whittaker was too one note and Izzy figures it out.

And I'm talking about offensive wrestling ...almost every wrestler would use his wrestling defensively.

Hendo for example would often bail himself out in scrambles and bad positions with his wrestling. Fedor fight case in point. And yes, Fedor completely adbandonded his judo/TD attack/threat.

I can remember when Rumble used his wrestling on Hardy. That's the only time I call remember him ever going really wrestle heavy. He has good wrestling, but doesn't use it as much as he should. 

Chocolate al