GSP vs. Anderson @ 178lbs planned for late 2011

So says UFC mouthpiece Joe Ferraro on the premiere episode of UFC Connected (formely MMA Connected). The bout is contingent on GSP beating Jake Shields this weekend and Anderson besting Okami at UFC Rio, obviously 

^ he's fighting Okami.

If so, that will be a long layoff for GSP.....six to seven months.

Interesting probably going to happen at the end of the year card Phone Post

Seems to make more sense than GSP moving up to 185 permanently. Takes less time for Georges to bulk up, and both guys get to keep their belt afterward.

Makes no sense, if GSP wins the WW champ is better than MW champ. Making the MW belt tainted until GSP moves up or retires Phone Post

gibboau - Makes no sense, if GSP wins the WW champ is better than MW champ. Making the MW belt tainted until GSP moves up or retires

Silva supporters would probably blame the weight cut for the loss.

What prompted the UFC to change its opinion on making this Anderson's next fight? Does anyone wants to see Okami?

Stupid move for GSP if true. Should've fought for the title at 185... it was a win / win (win and make history and become the best fighter ever beating the #1 p4p guy at his own weight, or lose and it's ok cause at least he went up to challenge the #1 p4p guy).

Now he's in a lose / lose situation (win and Anderson wasn't right because of the cut, or lose and Anderson came down to within 8 pounds of his weight class and beat him).

A catchweight would diminish the importance of this fight so fucking much.

I mean it would still be meanginful, but it would only mean a fraction of what it really should.

bemsqua - If so, that will be a long layoff for GSP.....six to seven months.

He should be used to it by now, plus he probably wants all the extra time he can get to add some weight.

AK-BJJ - Stupid move for GSP if true. Should've fought for the title at 185... it was a win / win (win and make history and become the best fighter ever beating the #1 p4p guy at his own weight, or lose and it's ok cause at least he went up to challenge the #1 p4p guy).

Now he's in a lose / lose situation (win and Anderson wasn't right because of the cut, or lose and Anderson came down to within 8 pounds of his weight class and beat him).

Not really. GSP would be fighting the much bigger guy and MW champion that wrecks former LHW champs very easily.

Silva has fought at 170 before.

If GSP wins, he will be GOAT. If Silva wins, at best only #1 P4P because he fought the much smaller man.

In order for Silva to be GOAT, he must fight Jon Jones, catch weight or not.

HOWtasteMYbigPP - 
gibboau - Makes no sense, if GSP wins the WW champ is better than MW champ. Making the MW belt tainted until GSP moves up or retires

Silva supporters would probably blame the weight cut for the loss.

this. more preemptive damage control from the ufc, they know anderson's doomed

No way, a 185lber to fight at 178lbs for a big fight. Take notes Mr. Miller. Phone Post

Total BS if this isn't a 5 round fight.

This is the only way I want to see this fight (at a catchweight). Makes no sense for GSP to have abandon 170 for it

Entreri - Not really. GSP would be fighting the much bigger guy and MW champion that wrecks former LHW champs very easily.

Silva has fought at 170 before.

If GSP wins, he will be GOAT. If Silva wins, at best only #1 P4P because he fought the much smaller man.

In order for Silva to be GOAT, he must fight Jon Jones, catch weight or not.

The contradictions here are ridiculous. GSP is fighting a "much bigger guy"...who used to fight at 170? (167/168 actually)

GSP would only be fighting 8 pounds above his weight class yet he'd be "the much smaller man"? Come on, get out of here with this crap. If Anderson goes down to 178 the size excuse is out.

Anderson isn't much bigger than GSP weight-wise anyway. The various figures for Anderson have him rehydrating to 193-195 in recent fights. GSP rehydrated to 192 in the past, and a couple months ago said he planned to be at 187 for Shields (though he'll probably be higher). There's like 5, at absolute most 10 pounds weight difference between these two - and that's now. At 178 GSP would cut less than he currently does and almost certainly weigh more than Anderson. At 185 he'd definitely weigh more because not only would he cut less but he'd bulk up as well.

Anderson has the much larger physical frame, but then, so does Ben Saunders. In terms of actual weight there's not much difference even with them in different weight classes, and at catchweight GSP would almost definitely come in weighing more - so how is he the much smaller man exactly?

I agree that beating GSP doesn't make Anderson the GOAT, GSP isn't a MW. Beating Jones would definitely make Anderson the GOAT but Anderson isn't moving up and he'd be the clear underdog to Jones anyway. Only way I see Anderson moving up is if he beats Okami and GSP easily and gets bored (Anderson is kinda crazy, so even though right now he's saying he wouldn't move up you never know with him).

So while I personally wouldn't be too impressed with Anderson beating GSP at either 178 or 185 because GSP is not proven at MW, and IMO it would not put Anderson ahead of Fedor, the "smaller man" excuse is out the window for GSP at catchweight.

Fact is that it being a 3 round fight is probably more to GSP's benefit than cutting weight in any case. I don't think cutting to 178 would be hard for Anderson, this guy weighed 182 against Leites due to a "bowel movement". But beating Anderson in a 5 round fight is certainly tougher than doing it in a 3 round fight - as Chael learned to his sorrow. Knowing he'd only have to beat Anderson for 3 rounds is probably the main reason GSP might prefer a catchweight.

178? fuckin no point in that.

its about gsp challenging for that belt.

I must be in the minority.

I have zero interest in this fight. Phone Post

Just watched UFC connected. Joe Ferraro didn't say it would happen at 178 but rather that's what he thinks should happen to be fair to GSP.