GSP vs. Askren

I would like to see these two square off at 185. Ben already said he doesn’t want to fight his friend, Woodley, at 170.

Unlikely, but I wouldn’t mind if it did happen. I personally think that Askren would lay the boots to Gastelum, who is the clear #1 contender. I’m usually all for following the pecking order but I seriously doubt that there will be another chance at this for 185.

Why not GSP vs Askren at 170? Woodly has nothing to do with this

185 is a problem because GSP is champion. You can’t have Askren come in and win the title when he is retired and looking to pursue other interests and challenges in life. Look at the issue with GSP. He comes out of retirement and he’s not focused on the career aspect of UFC, he’s instead interested in picking and choosing which ever fights are up like the stock market to use his analogy.

That’s not a good champion for the company and neither is Askren. Do the bout at 175 or so and you don’t worry about any of it. 170 is fine too, but GSP told us he would never be able to get back down to 170, if he put the weight on for 185. I’d like to see it at any weight, but 185 would appear to not make sense for UFC. Catch weight of 186 could be another option as well but I’m pretty sure Askren would want it to be for the strap.

Askren would be outclassed by a significant margin. If he was gonna start fighting non-cans, he should probably try on someone like stun gun or Magny…or if it is at 185, Branch would be a good step up.

Pat MiletichVerified account @patmiletich 23m23 minutes ago
More
Replying to @Benaskren @MattSherwood12

That's a big money fight and my money is on Askren.

SinCityHustler - 185 is a problem because GSP is champion. You can't have Askren come in and win the title when he is retired and looking to pursue other interests and challenges in life. Look at the issue with GSP. He comes out of retirement and he's not focused on the career aspect of UFC, he's instead interested in picking and choosing which ever fights are up like the stock market to use his analogy.

That’s not a good champion for the company and neither is Askren. Do the bout at 175 or so and you don’t worry about any of it. 170 is fine too, but GSP told us he would never be able to get back down to 170, if he put the weight on for 185. I’d like to see it at any weight, but 185 would appear to not make sense for UFC. Catch weight of 186 could be another option as well but I’m pretty sure Askren would want it to be for the strap.

Oh okay… I thought Zihab Ferrari said that GSP wanted to get back down to 170. Good points.

^^^He probably did, I don’t know. Many have speculated GSP was lying to avoid Anderson when he said his body would not be able to drop the weight if he ever put it on. I do admit to thinking that sounded bizarre when he said it, but I usually try to give the french Canadian the benefit of the doubt on the remotely believable stuff. This is one I shook my head and thought maybe I heard wrong. Then he repeated it a few more times So i definitely didn’t hear wrong.

HoldMeCloser -

askren vs darren till. lets see what the askren is really made off...do it uncle dana!

I would love to see that fight.
GOAT St. Pierre - 

GSP is no longer the middle weight champion but now he’s sick. I can’t imagine being sick cutting weight down to 170 would be a healthy thing to do. I’d love to see Askren vs GSP, but only if St Pierre is healthy. But even healthy this isn’t a good fight for GSP.

If Woodley is really the champ, then Askren should be wanting to fight him.

This talk of Askren wanting to fight GSP, while interesting and would be cool to see, is silly.

Fight the champ, be the champ.

I haven’t seen anyone question whether Woodley is the champ or not. But why would Askren want to fight the champ? He hasn’t expressed any interest in the UFC championship. Askren wants to beat the guy much of the fan base views as the best and who sells big PPV events. He believes he can beat GSP and that fight would do a lot more for him than a fight he’s had dozens of times in the gym. GSP or Woodley on the resume? Hmmm, tough one.

CaptainNemo -

If Woodley is really the champ, then Askren should be wanting to fight him.

This talk of Askren wanting to fight GSP, while interesting and would be cool to see, is silly.

Fight the champ, be the champ.

The GOAT WW is available for a fight that will make tons of money and potentially upend an eras worth of chat in your favour cementing your place in mma history...or fight the most boring ww champ ever, for half the money or less, in a fight that everyone will forget the day after it’s done?

you think askren should want Woodley?

lol

SinCityHustler -
GOAT St. Pierre - 

GSP is no longer the middle weight champion but now he’s sick. I can’t imagine being sick cutting weight down to 170 would be a healthy thing to do. I’d love to see Askren vs GSP, but only if St Pierre is healthy. But even healthy this isn’t a good fight for GSP.

This is a beautiful fight for GSP, it ends the askren talk, CRE even has to see this, GSP will nullify Askrens wrestling like he always does, it will stay standing and well Askrens striking is like level 3 year old,

Id love to see it but both are basically retired, I’d love to have seen askren vs a jake shields 2 shit strikers but great grapplers, just to judge him but he literally fought cans, we get it he has great wrestling but you fought cans

I'm interested by Shields/Askren, more than GSP/Askren. I doubt very much Askren takes GSP down, and I think it's likely he just gets boxed up at range. Look at the way the Sapo fight was going. Not that exciting a prospect.

HoldMeCloser - 

i dont think he can do any different than koscheck or hendricks could to GSP, and both of those guys have better stand up than he does.

but he still deserves to be in ufc. i'd like to see askren vs hendricks  right now...

Hendricks put GSP on his back 4 times. If Askren doesn’t “do any different” GSP is going to have a very long night. Askren is a nightmare on top and he is relentless with his pressure. His take downs are also not always from shooting from the outside. He smothers the opponent and then drags them to the canvas. That’s entirely different than the problems Koscheck or Hendircks presented to GSP. It would be a very interesting fight. Rogan likes to day chess, it would be chess.

SinCityHustler - 
HoldMeCloser - 

i dont think he can do any different than koscheck or hendricks could to GSP, and both of those guys have better stand up than he does.

but he still deserves to be in ufc. i'd like to see askren vs hendricks  right now...

Hendricks put GSP on his back 4 times. If Askren doesn’t “do any different” GSP is going to have a very long night. Askren is a nightmare on top and he is relentless with his pressure. His take downs are also not always from shooting from the outside. He smothers the opponent and then drags them to the canvas. That’s entirely different than the problems Koscheck or Hendircks presented to GSP. It would be a very interesting fight. Rogan likes to day chess, it would be chess.

Askren would be a different animal on top.

Muz got up in like .5 seconds when Hendricks was on top. Askren is arguably (with respect to Schalles and others) the greatest top wrestler in the history of folkstyle wrestling. (arguably).

Most wont appreciate how tough Herbert is. He was 3rd in the NCAA’s as a frosh and this was his sophomore season. He was undefeated and this is the finals.

Herbert would win NCAA’s the next 2 years and he then won a world freestyle silver medal. That was later though, right? Well yes but Askren then wrestled him after that world silver and again destroyed him. That bout’s a little more challenging to find.

Askren is so unconventional and he puts all his weight on you seemingly at all times. He is a level about Hendricks. He’s at the top levels of American folkstyle wrestling and an Olympian in freestyle. He is just a monster.

GSP is pretty awesome with his take downs. The best set ups in his division no question. But set ups or not, Askren aims to get his hands on you. When he does, what you see above with Herbert is what happens. I would love to see it.

Here’s Askren vs Herbert @ Agon (the bout I mentioned above post world silver medal). I have the subscription to Flo Wrestling so I see everything, so I’m not sure if this is free or behind the pay wall. Hoping it’s accessible to those who do not have a subscription.