GSP vs Chael @ 185: Who wins?

Would Georges be able to stop Chael from taking him down?

Could Georges stop/tap him?

Who wins and how?

C.P. Sonnen

Chael all day.

If it's for some kind of belt GSP by verbal and controversial submission. Otherwise GSP vs Shields all over again. Phone Post

The fans

GSP, easily.

Is Chael going to out-strike him? No. Is he going to take him down? No. Is he going to submit him off his back? No.

LOL this question is borderline fighter bashing.

Chael in a laugher.

According to sonnen: "gsp is very talented, but he better stay down there with the midgets at welterweight if he knows what's good for him" Phone Post

Chael would lose by decision, that LNP that he pulls on the non-wrestlers would be like jedi mind-tricks on Jabba.

As good as GSP's wrestling is, in an absolute sense, it's still a tier below Chael Sonnen's.

Sonnen has taken down fighters with great TDD with ease, including Yushin Okam, Nate Marquardt, and Anderson Silva (yes, contrary to popular belief his TDD is around top 10 because of the threat of his striking and fabulous footwork)

His takedowns are more diverse than GSP's. Chael's chain wrestling is kind of like Cain in a way. It's relentless and he transitions between diff types of takedowns seamlessly until he puts the opponent on his back.

GSP is going down regardless of how good his TDD is. GSP would have to submit Chael, which is very possible.

So this fight is hard to call IMO. I'd give Chael a slight edge.

GSP wont weigh in at 170 he will be 185.Yaal are over rating Sonnen IMO

I do agree that their wrestling is at a high enough level they should theoretically neutralize each other. If that's the case it will come down to the striking to setup takedowns.

GSP trains with Freddie Roach and should be better on the feet but as we seen in his last fight, Jackson likes to put together these stupid fucking gameplans where he throws a sloppy over hand right, over...and over.....and over.

In the end I see it a close decision that could go either way. Would be outrageous however to think one of these guys could get the takedown and GnP a victory.

I'm not a big GSP fan, but it still surprises me that people believe the one to stop GSP is a wrestler.

GSP has EASILY taken down incredible wrestlers:

-Hughes
-Trigg
-Hieron
-Koscheck
-Penn
-Fitch
-Sherk

Sonnen would not be any different. Easy fight for GSP.

Silva on the other hand...

Hieron is an incredible wrestler?

What are his credentials?

Kliquid - GSP, easily.

Is Chael going to out-strike him? No. Is he going to take him down? No. Is he going to submit him off his back? No.

If I remember correctly, Chael more than held his own in the striking department with Silva, who most consider to be the best striker in the sport.

GSP would win easy. How many times does GSP need to outwrestle wrestlers for people to realise his wrestling is the best?

I'd favor Chael, though not by a huge amount.

Chael is larger, better wrestling, and very good striking. And I think GSP's striking isn't as great when someone has the height and reach advantage on him.

GSP has a big reach advantage on most WWs and he relies on it a lot for distance control. He wouldn't have a reach advantage on Sonnen and Sonnen is taller. Sonnen also has very technical boxing and quick hands.

GSP weighs up to 194 at WW, at MW he'd probably put on a few pounds. But his frame isn't large and I don't think he could support more than 200. Even at that size he might be sacrificing a significant amount of speed. Chael weighs 207-210 and is a legit huge MW, he carries that weight just fine.

mataleo1 - I'm not a big GSP fan, but it still surprises me that people believe the one to stop GSP is a wrestler.

A WW wrestler wouldn't be a threat - at least not with wrestling (someone like Ellenberger could catch him, but that has little to do with wrestling).

But a giant roided middleweight in Chael is a totally different story. Chael would look like the Hulk compared to GSP.

Chael has blasted through guys like Okami and Marquardt. Both those guys have great TDD, especially Okami whose TDD rates is among the highest ever and similar to GSP's TDD rate if you exclude the Chael fight. Chael ragdolled him.

Nate has an 80+% TDD rate against opponents not name dChael - Chael went like 6 for 6 on him. Okami has almost a 90% TDD rate against opponents not named Chael, we saw what happened against Chael.

GSP could win, especially because as pointed out, Chael is well established as a choker under pressure. But people are greatly overstating GSP's standup advantage - Chael has the same reach and is taller, and very technical. I'm not even sure GSP has a standup edge, actually. If he does it isn't a huge one.

And in the wrestling, GSP is for sure the superior P4P wrestler. But this isn't P4P and Chael has 15 pounds of solid muscle on GSP, and has tossed around guys with elite TDD before.

Also if GSP does take Chael down - which is quite possible - GSP would never hold him down. Chael's scambling is too good and he's too big and strong. Whereas Chael would have a better chance at holding GSP down.

GSP knows a secret technique called "The triangle"= no can defend

Andy the man - Hieron is an incredible wrestler?

What are his credentials?

Hieron was a juco champ, he has very good wrestling. It's why people say Diaz ducked him.

Regardless GSP does eat up wrestlers alive...welterweight wrestlers. GSP's amazing TDD and distance control makes it amost impossible for a 170er to beat him with wrestling.

I don't think GSP would have such great distance control against larger fighters though. And distance control is a huge, huge part of GSP's game.

I also think GSP isn't fond of pressure and Chael is a pure pressure fighter - except when facing BJJ guys, particularly psychotic ones who talk to themselves :)
dogfb - GSP would win easy. How many times does GSP need to outwrestle wrestlers for people to realise his wrestling is the best?

How many times does GSP need to outwrestle welterweights, you mean.

And yes his wrestling is the best - P4P. But the question isn't, "Would a 6'1" GSP beat Chael?"

Fingers or no fingers?