GSP vs Sakuraba

Why not? That’s literally all you did in your last 2 posts in this thread. What changed?

1 Like

Sorry man…I’m not going to put much thought and/or feelings into a question that has no answer.

I pick Saku based on him dealing with much larger fighters, GSP never facing a catch wrestler that I know of, and GSP being knocked out by a guy that competed at 155 for the majority of his career.

Have fun.

I was saying you can’t compare their wins and loses to a common opponent when one guy took the fight at 32 and the other guy took the fight at 42… big difference. You know that.

You brought up Sak losing to HWs… but you know GSP was afraid to take those risks, it does not say anything about GSP vs Saku, I agree with that.

Yeah you quoted me bringing up a list of sub wins to make a point about his sub game… I was not bringing up fights in his 40’s way past his prime like you were.

Honestly… they set odds for a reason but in these prime vs prime arguments people always assert they know with 100% certainty that fighter A would win or fighter B would win but it don’t work like that. Nobody is ever that confident when its time bet… just in these theoretical threads. Thats why I try to avoid them…but I failed today.

2 Likes

Sakuraba is a hard fighter to gauge. I doubt GSP would beat Rampage, Randleman or Vitor and he certainly would never take the fights Sakuraba took.

The only time we saw GSP fight at MW was at the end of his career. I hope nobody thinks GSP would have had the same incredible career at MW.

I have no idea who would win this fight. My heart says Sak, but my head says GSP.

2 Likes

I am a huge Sak fan but only a prime Sak would beat a pre champion GSP.

2 Likes

I think GSP would just Superman jab Sak to a boring decision

1 Like

Was going to make this thread the other day and got side tracked.

Id say its about 50-50.

Gsp plays smart and safe and is very good.

Love to see if Saku gets some of those ankle sweeps on him tho.

He fought Nino Schembri as well . They’re around the same weight and he got KO’d by Nino LOL . George would beat his ass , may not finish him but easily dominate . Serra was a much better striker than Nino Schembri , they don’t compare

Matt Serra should have beat BJ penn and Matt Hughes as well . His career would be looked at totally different if he had gotten the nod in those

1 Like

Sakuraba beat so many better strikers than Matt Serra. Mezger, Rich, Belfort, and Jackson just off the top of my head. There are probably a few others.

1 Like

Serra held bj against the cage. That was a shitty fight. His fight against Chris Lytle was gay too

Yeah it was an ugly fight but he still did more than bj . Serra was a bjj beast . 2nd at adcc and he forfeited the finals to fetisoa .

And he also got Kod by Schembri. If he can do it George can do it

edit

lol I’m not saying he couldn’t do it, I’m saying that your reasoning in that post sounds like you smoked a bunch of crack and then made yourself dizzy with aggressive auto-erotic asphyxiation before you decided to share your thoughts with us.

His damage against Hughes was an accidental headbutt…

And like 8 legit omoplata attempts

You don’t even make sense dude

It’s difficult for me to visualize this fight.

This is one of those that we would need to see how they looked once they started moving around.

It’s easy to just pick GSP IMO.
But Sak is a little bigger, and probably better than a lot of people think in all areas.

Many of us tend to think of GSP as one of the most evolved “total package” fighters not only of his era, but relative to MMA history in general.
While this is certainly accurate, it’s important to mention that Sak is also in that category, and was doing it before GSP.

Who was the better grappler?
Tough question.
I give GSP the edge in wrestling as it applies to his specific game plan. In other words, GSP was more deliberate and controlling, with more crisp execution – the goal being to stifle his opponents and rack up points.
Sakuraba was more fluid, and his goals seemed more related to the actual competition and kind of being in the moment. And of course he wanted to entertain.
But if GSP was the more crisp/disciplined wrestler – I might say Sak was the better all around grappler when you factor in submissions.
I see GSP as more of a top control guy, whereas Sak would actually go out there and put on grappling clinics within transitions, that were very entertaining to watch.

Striking is close too.
Again, GSP a little more crisp, a little more deliberate.
Sak, more unorthodox with a little more “brawlability”, and less defense.
Both used distance to their advantage very well.
With GSP to stay right on the edge while gaining points, with Sak to impose his will mentally while deciding when to engage.

Both guys were excellent ring generals, although in different ways.

I could go on and on…
But it’s still tough to visualize how the tighter more game plan oriented GSP, would match up with the more unorthodox yet deceptively technical Sakuraba.

Again, we would have to see it.

In the UFC cage, I might have to give GSP the edge – especially on the scorecards.

In the Pride ring, it’s closer to even, with maybe a slight edge to Sak based on the longer rounds and more intuitive scoring.

That’s with everything being equal, and honest judges.

If the fight was even close – I pretty much guarantee a judging bias towards GSP in the UFC, and Sak in Pride.

Sak more likely to actually win by finish – although I think this goes to decision most of the time.

Another fantasy fight.
We will never know.

9 Likes

Good post onepunch. Good analysis and i agree with it. Though i am just an average joe like everyone else here.

3 Likes