GSP vs. Silva: Too Much, Too Soon

To put things in perspective, Forrest Griffin usually towers over other fighters in the light heavyweight division, as seen in his pre-fight pictures with Rich Franklin, a large man in himself. When Silva fought Griffin, they both looked to be just about the same size.

If anyone thinks Georges St. Pierre is going to be on even footing in terms of size and weight in a fight with Anderson Silva, they need to have their eyes checked.

To read full story by levi nile click here

"Penn has not fared well as a welterweight. He was defeated by GSP twice, and Matt Hughes once. His record as a UFC welterweight is 2 wins against 3 defeats, and after he made the decision to begin jumping up and down in weight, his career has suffered in both divisions."

BJ nearly beat Hughes 3 times and is 2-1 against Hughes. His first win was one of the sport's biggest upsets.

BJ nearly beat GSP the first time.

BJ is a LW.

He's done pretty good at WW for a LW considering he was fighing the 2 best WWs of all time.

But i agree about GSP being puny compared to Silva.

It's the wrestling that gets me...

GSPs biggest asset, Anderson's biggest weakness...

He's a lot more tentative than Chael.

We shall see, but I'll be gunning for The Spider.

Why? I am a GSP fan, I really want to see this fight and I expect GSP to be a huge underdog who will likely lose. I'll still be a fan if he loses. I just think would be cool to see. Phone Post

GSPs natural weight is about 195, Andersons is about 215. Anderson is naturally 20 pounds heavier than GSP, and thats not going to change in the next year (a trained fighter like GSP is not going to put on 20 pounds of muscle in one year without doing huge amounts of various banned substances, and even then it would take several years for it to become functional).<br /><br />Basically GSP is 20 pounds smaller than Anderson, and its only folks who never train who think weight doesnt matter in MMA ...

georgejonesjr - GSPs natural weight is about 195, Andersons is about 215. Anderson is naturally 20 pounds heavier than GSP, and thats not going to change in the next year (a trained fighter like GSP is not going to put on 20 pounds of muscle in one year without doing huge amounts of various banned substances, and even then it would take several years for it to become functional).<br /><br />Basically GSP is 20 pounds smaller than Anderson, and its only folks who never train who think weight doesnt matter in MMA ...

Good post but let me add GSP being 195 is recent...in the last year or so...GSP was always about 185 or 188 naturally so this adds to the weight difference they are both naturally at...

Every month that goes by is a month Anderson moves farther and farther out of his prime.

The time is now - while they're at the peak of their careers. If GSP loses, it won't be because Anderson was just so big.

anderson via some type of strike from any 1 of the 8 points of attack he is liable to kill an opponent with.

georgejonesjr - GSPs natural weight is about 195, Andersons is about 215. Anderson is naturally 20 pounds heavier than GSP, and thats not going to change in the next year (a trained fighter like GSP is not going to put on 20 pounds of muscle in one year without doing huge amounts of various banned substances, and even then it would take several years for it to become functional).<br /><br />Basically GSP is 20 pounds smaller than Anderson, and its only folks who never train who think weight doesnt matter in MMA ...

He doesn't need to put on 20 pounds, but he can still close that gap somewhat. Silva isn't making it up to 215 on fight night either (if that number is even accurate).

GSP puts on some more muscle, you don't think he will be as strong if not stronger than Silva?

What about their reach - not much of an advantage for Silva there either.

forrestfan - 

He doesn't need to put on 20 pounds, but he can still close that gap somewhat. Silva isn't making it up to 215 on fight night either (if that number is even accurate).

GSP puts on some more muscle, you don't think he will be as strong if not stronger than Silva?

What about their reach - not much of an advantage for Silva there either.

Anderson walks around close to 240 pounds, not 215. The length of his arms is not an accurate indication of his reach, he's taller and more massive than George.

George will tire from the pressure, weight and speed of an Anderson Silva.

Silva has been finishing middles and lightheavyweights, GSP has been grinding out decisions against the natural welters he's faced in recent fights.

Silva has all the advantages in this match, he's faster and hits harder, his Jiu-jitsu is lethal.

GSP subbed Hughes, Anderson subbed bigger and better wrestlers and blackbelts.

GSP hasn't KO'd anyone in quite some time, Anderson regularly KO's fighters in two classes.

More muscle won't help GSP.

He needs more time, as only time will slow down Anderson.

saturday night proved how far away this meeting between the spider and father time really is..

I understand granting GSP an immediate MW title shot, but we don't know how his performance will be. BJ is hit and miss at WW. Silva is pure win at LHW but with no title fight. If GSP has a couple of non title MW wins then we can get a better assessment. Basically there's a chance he can look shitty against Silva but look better in his MW fight after that.

If I were to guess, GSP will be slower at MW because he has to balloon up.

I don't think this fight will ever happen. I think it's just one way to compete with the "mayweather vs pacquiao" p4p king superfight talk. If it does happen then I'm happy but I'm fine if it doesn't happen. Btw if this fight is to happen then let it happen soon just because Anderson is getting old and waiting won't do any good for him, I think. Phone Post

Gsp vs. Sonnen! Winner gets Silva. Phone Post

They should put GSP against Sonnen and the winner gets Silva! Phone Post

AS walks around 230-240 is what I always heard. He is a large MW ! I think it will be a wrestle fest. Phone Post

Good article. I think this fight is a terrible idea for GSP. Not to mention Silva's unique style/arsenal. Bj Penn can find bigger sparring partners to simulate Hughes/Fitch. Who the hell do you get to simulate Anderson and the problems he presents outside ofthe fact he's way bigger?

NTP -  Who the hell do you get to simulate Anderson and the problems he presents outside of the fact he's way bigger?

How about Bones.

Dana said today he might do 5 round non title fights. They could do this at 178/180 for 5 rds. Perfect time to start that.

Broken rib and all. Anderson did kick Chael ass, and I would not call wrestling a weakness for Anderson. I mean Chael and Dan Henderson would be considered some the best wrestlers in MMA. Both lost to Mr Anderson Silva.