GSP wont be appreciated until he retires

it's sad but true. Right now everybody sees him as a target cause he's the biggest draw in the sport. But after he's retired for a few years the haters will disappear and GSP's career will speak for itself.

Probably. Phone Post

pretty much

Just a few haters and whiners.

When you are top dog, the losers become vocal.

How will he be remembered by you, jack?

Where does this even come from? GSP can do no wrong in most peoples eyes.

I would appreciate it if he would retire Phone Post

I will definitely appreciate him more once I don't have to watch him hump other guys for 25 minutes, every couple months. Phone Post

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - How will he be remembered by you, jack?

p4p the most dominant fighter in the sport

He will be especially revered when he retires and the WW strap starts to change hands every other title fight.

Then even the haters will appreciate how dominant he is. Phone Post

Entreri - Just a few haters and whiners.

When you are top dog, the losers become vocal.

Heavy lies the crown. Phone Post

I appreciate the living shit out of him.

He's the finest all-around technician the sport has ever known.

Maybe it's not go for broke all the time, and maybe it's conservative, but it's beautiful in it's brutal efficiency.

Whoever made the St. Pierre:Science::Silva:Art had it nailed exactly.

He's the thinking man's fighter.

People will appreciate him before he retires if he would just take a little risk every once in awhile.

If you can appreciate technical brilliance and all round skills as a martial artist and athlete then you have to appreciate GSP. His reign is a lot more dominant then Hughes and nobody ever accused him of being boring. I will give that GSP is a little more cerebral but they where both take-down focused.

I personally would have thought tghat people would get a little more educated hencs appreciate fighters like GSP a little more. Instead we get the dummy parade idolizing Diaz ( who is a good fighter but has a tremendous amount of holes in his game going far beyond his lack offensive/defensive wrestling). Phone Post

MdGeist - 

People will appreciate him before he retires if he would just take a little risk every once in awhile.

There's a line of thinking that goes "taking risks is for losers, if you're good enough, you don't need to take risks"

A lot of very smart, successful people subscribe to that line of thinking.

fightharder - 

If you can appreciate technical brilliance and all round skills as a martial artist and athlete then you have to appreciate GSP. His reign is a lot more dominant then Hughes and nobody ever accused him of being boring. I will give that GSP is a little more cerebral but they where both take-down focused.

I personally would have thought tghat people would get a little more educated hencs appreciate fighters like GSP a little more. Instead we get the dummy parade idolizing Diaz ( who is a good fighter but has a tremendous amount of holes in his game going far beyond his lack offensive/defensive wrestling). Phone Post

The thing is, the kind of person drawn to the fight game is often not the sort of person who is drawn to it for technique and appreciation of athletic skill.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but often, the kind of people who are drawn to the fight game, are the kind of people who want blood and guts and risk and excitement.

He is "appreciated". Nobody makes more money than he does and he gets the highest rated PPV's. Now as for being beloved. Well that isn't going to happen. Fight fans want to see a fighter risk it all in order to win (probably goes all the way back to the gladiator days). Excellence without passion is very clinical and ends up being an emotionless viewing experience (at least for me). I can watch and admire his skill level but in terms of me getting excited and yelling at the TV that hasn't happened while watching a GSP fight in a long time. So as long as he continues to fight with the minimal risk approach to the Octagon I will watch him and appreciate his skill but in terms of getting excited about any of his upcoming fights, not really. Phone Post

He's taking a risk every single time he gets in a cage. It's not his fault nobody can stop him doing what he does.

dubate - 

He is "appreciated". Nobody makes more money than he does and he gets the highest rated PPV's. Now as for being beloved. Well that isn't going to happen. Fight fans want to see a fighter risk it all in order to win (probably goes all the way back to the gladiator days). Excellence without passion is very clinical and ends up being an emotionless viewing experience (at least for me). I can watch and admire his skill level but in terms of me getting excited and yelling at the TV that hasn't happened while watching a GSP fight in a long time. So as long as he continues to fight with the minimal risk approach to the Octagon I will watch him and appreciate his skill but in terms of getting excited about any of his upcoming fights, not really. Phone Post

VU. I feel exactly the same way.

Revisionists will tear up his record with ease.