GSP wont be appreciated until he retires

Those aren't revisionists, those are assholes. Nobody cares what they think. As a champ, you can only beat the people in front of you. His record is flawless, at least in terms of fighting all the best fighters who were available to him. Phone Post

Slowshot - 
MdGeist - 

People will appreciate him before he retires if he would just take a little risk every once in awhile.

There's a line of thinking that goes "taking risks is for losers, if you're good enough, you don't need to take risks"

A lot of very smart, successful people subscribe to that line of thinking.

They be rich n shit but they all be bitches, yo.

KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas - Revisionists will tear up his record with ease.

Ya because he hasn't dismantled some of the best welterweights of all time or anything.

Jaybrone - 

Ya because he hasn't dismantled some of the best welterweights of all time or anything.

In 20 years no one will remember condit, koscheck, fitch, alves, and hardy.

He'd have a suspect list of bums, and blown up light weights on his record, and the biggest asterisk of them all, the lack of cojones to face anderson silva.

KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas - 
Jaybrone - 

He'd have a suspect list of bums, and blown up light weights on his record, and the biggest asterisk of them all, the lack of cojones to face anderson silva.

Its a little premature for the last one. Its just as easy to say that Anderson doesnt have the cojones to face Jones and Jones doesnt have the cojones to face Cain. Theres still time for all this to happen and until GSP retires w/o fighting Anderson (assuming he makes it past Hendricks) theres no point in saying he lacks the cojones.

Jaybrone - 

Ya defeating 4 UFC WW champions in his career (2 of those champs he beat twice all but 1 he stopped), two former SF champs and a former WEC champ that is a list of bums. Keep trolling.

Pessimist_Pete - I would appreciate it if he would retire Phone Post

You should jump back to WWE. The only sport your small brain can handle. Phone Post

dubate - He is "appreciated". Nobody makes more money than he does and he gets the highest rated PPV's. Now as for being beloved. Well that isn't going to happen. Fight fans want to see a fighter risk it all in order to win (probably goes all the way back to the gladiator days). Excellence without passion is very clinical and ends up being an emotionless viewing experience (at least for me). I can watch and admire his skill level but in terms of me getting excited and yelling at the TV that hasn't happened while watching a GSP fight in a long time. So as long as he continues to fight with the minimal risk approach to the Octagon I will watch him and appreciate his skill but in terms of getting excited about any of his upcoming fights, not really. Phone Post

Very well said. Phone Post

NavyCorpsmanBaraodMySN - 
dubate - He is "appreciated". Nobody makes more money than he does and he gets the highest rated PPV's. Now as for being beloved. Well that isn't going to happen. Fight fans want to see a fighter risk it all in order to win (probably goes all the way back to the gladiator days). Excellence without passion is very clinical and ends up being an emotionless viewing experience (at least for me). I can watch and admire his skill level but in terms of me getting excited and yelling at the TV that hasn't happened while watching a GSP fight in a long time. So as long as he continues to fight with the minimal risk approach to the Octagon I will watch him and appreciate his skill but in terms of getting excited about any of his upcoming fights, not really. Phone Post

Very well said. Phone Post

I'm a fan of GSP's, and I agree. This is a reasonable viewpoint. I don't agree with dubate's point of view, but it's well considered, and I respect it.

after he retires, i dont think we will have another dominent WW champ like him for a while. so it will make him seem better since it will probably be a while before someone can beat his number of WW title defenses.

Jaybrone -

Jaybrone - 

Ya defeating 4 UFC WW champions in his career (2 of those champs he beat twice all but 1 he stopped), two former SF champs and a former WEC champ that is a list of bums. Keep trolling.

Hey kingbeta no response for that? Phone Post 3.0

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

I will definitely appreciate him more once I don't have to watch him hump other guys for 25 minutes, every couple months. Phone Post

You don't have to watch him now.

Jaybrone - 
Jaybrone -

Jaybrone - 

Bj's record will also be torn to shreds, sherk who? lol....The most notable win would be a dominant matt hughes I concede, and serra? Lol his only accolade will be his win over gsp. Stack on top of that all of his boring point fighting decisions, he'll be torn to shreds. Also 30 years from now people will wonder why the fuck he comes out in a karate gi with a symbol of imperialism with blood on his hands, while never fucking using karate in his fights.

KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas -
Jaybrone - 
Jaybrone -

Jaybrone - 

Bj's record will also be torn to shreds, sherk who? lol....The most notable win would be a dominant matt hughes I concede, and serra? Lol his only accolade will be his win over gsp. Stack on top of that all of his boring point fighting decisions, he'll be torn to shreds. Also 30 years from now people will wonder why the fuck he comes out in a karate gi with a symbol of imperialism with blood on his hands, while never fucking using karate in his fights.

You are an idiot. Phone Post

Gsp os one of the few fighter i really find facinating to watch because he always seems so beatable but he completely shuts down all of the guys he fights, lets. Face it. The 2 losses where because he wasn't prepared Gsp is the batman of MMA. Phone Post 3.0

I'll appreciate him for retiring.

canuck34 - 
Jaybrone - 
Jaybrone -

Jaybrone - 

Great counter argument claps Bravo. Just what I expected from a world, cultured, well traveled canadian.

Sherk who off the top of my head has beaten everyone he's fought except Hughes, GSP, Penn, and Edgar. He was pretty much unbeatable amongst merely "solid" competitors, and if you can't appreciate that you're not much of a fan imo.

I've always appreciated him. Phone Post

canuck34 - 
Jaybrone - 
Jaybrone -

Jaybrone - 

Great counter argument claps Bravo. Just what I expected from a world, cultured, well traveled canadian.

You are, indeed, an idiot