GSP's strategy vs. Nick Diaz...

Joe_Leduc - GSP stood with Hardy for about 5 minutes total. I don't think he'll do that with Diaz.

yep.  Hardy's takedown defense is much better than Nicks.  He doesn't need to stand if he doesn't want to.

Humphrey - this will be GSP's easiest title defense in years.

Nah, not easier than vs Hardy. GSP will have to be careful in Nick's guard.

A lot of people need to go back and re-watch the Nick Diaz Sean Sherk fight. Sherk is one of the best wrestlers in MMA ever, and had plenty of trouble taking Diaz down.

Diaz is going to surprise a lot of people with his takedown defense.

GSP is not a cuddler. I am a GSP fan, but I think where these lay & pray accusations come from is the fact that (ironically) GSP is so good at takedowns, that he ends up in top position a lot, yet a lot of his fights go the distance.

So lots of top position yet lots of decisions.

On the one hand he's working hard trying to finish, yet many times fails. There's a few reasons for this. One is, possibly he's not a dominant finisher as some would like to believe. But also there's the curse of all great champions and great fighters in general...his opponents prepare for him like no other before.

His opponents are always in the biggest fight of their career and in the best most prepared condition of their lives.

You don't walk into the cage to fight guys like GSP, BJ, or Anderson in just decent "ready" shape. You come in in the best shape and most prepared you've ever been in your life.

This is part of what makes it tough to remain an undefeated champion. 

Max Dangerous - A lot of people need to go back and re-watch the Nick Diaz Sean Sherk fight. Sherk is one of the best wrestlers in MMA ever, and had plenty of trouble taking Diaz down.

Diaz is going to surprise a lot of people with his takedown defense.
Ummm, well.....uh.........yeah, no.  Sherk ranks in MMA takedowns, somewhere behind.........well, Coleman, Couture, Randleman, Alger, Shalorous (sp?), Gholar, Keck, Kerr, Jackson, Henderson, Hammil, Monday, Hughes, Trigg, Matyushenko, Jones, Bader, Edgar, Maynard, Faber, Fitch, Koscheck, ..................and oh yeah, GSP.  Remember Sherk just fucking GAVE UP trying to take Penn down while GSP did so from the 2nd round on in both fights against Penn.  Hell, Penn probably has a better takedown in MMA than Sherk does.

Diaz isn't going to stop GSP from taking him down unless he stuns or rocks Georges.

Jab Safe Pierre is going to wrestlefuck Homie from the 209.  Homie from the 209's job is going to be to sub him from his back.

I hope I'm wrong because I always root for Homie from the 209, but I don't think I will be.  I think that Don't be skrrd homie LIVES in that middle distance space that Jab Saint Pierre HATES and JSP will shoot and take him down..........................repeatedly.

no secret here.  Takedown, avoid subs, some ground and pound..............rinse and repeat.

Nick should bring a teddy bear and his favorite pajamas. There will be 25 minutes of cuddling, possibly some spooning.

GSP by UD.

Takedown-hide head-hump-rinse and repeat

unfilter -
OmegaPoon - 
gaycuckold - A smart thing to do would be to use tons of leg kicks. Nick refuses to check them.

yeah, on the feet i expect this to happen followed by lots of takedowns.

leg kicks to set up the superman paunch, followed by takedowns towards the end of the round.

That's exactly how I see it going. We know conditioning won't be a factor so 5 rounds of this! Phone Post

rupertbe -  Gsp really needs an exciting(ish) fight. I think he'll jab him for the first round ending with a take down. the next 2 rounds gsp will take him down and try and exhaust him with GNP and then in round 4 and 5 he'll throw haymakers with take downs at the end of the rounds so everyone can scream gsp with pride!!! Phone Post

Has Nick ever been finished outside of the Noons cut stoppage? 

I don't see GSP finishing Nick but not because he won't be inflicting damage or putting an effort in to do it.  I just don't think you can finish a guy like Nick.  I'd love to see it but the smart money is on a GSP unanimous decision.  Those of you that are claiming "lay n pray"....just make sure you look at Nick's face at the end of this fight and see if that's the result of "lay n pray".....I'm going to be it's not.

Considering Shields just fought Diaz, I'm sur team scrap pack will have a game plan coming in this fight. Its not like Diaz is horrible fighting from his back, I remember Go Go Plata on Gomi. I think some of you guys on here are underestimating Diaz's will to compete and win. The guy is a cardio machine and will be going 100% from the opening bell to closing of th bell.

the most action in this fight may come after the five round lay n pray

mayhem vs gracie camp all over again

mtgclemson -  the most action in this fight may come after the five round lay n pray

mayhem vs gracie camp all over again

I'd go with Fitch's response....if  you can't stop what he's trying to do, then you suck.  That's it. 

People who bitch about the takedowns, like Diaz, need to learn that its part of the game and you gotta figure out a way to defend it.  Do you think when Fitch fought GSP he all of a sudden just decided he didn't want to take GSP down, or do you think it was because GSP wouldn't LET him get the takedown?  Don't bitch...train.  And if you can't beat him it's not because he's boring, "lay n pray", etc....it's because he's better than you.

snugglefest

I think this is a tough fight for diaz, we know about GSP's vastly superior wrestling and takedowns but his speed in the standup will also give Diaz fits. Dealing with the jabs and kicks will make him an even easier target for takedowns. Diaz's toughness will ensure a terrible beating. Hope im wrong.

jpm995 - I think this is a tough fight for diaz, we know about GSP's vastly superior wrestling and takedowns but his speed in the standup will also give Diaz fits. Dealing with the jabs and kicks will make him an even easier target for takedowns. Diaz's toughness will ensure a terrible beating. Hope im wrong.
Awesomely put. I concur. 

The thing with GSP is simple its not so much that he dosesnt work but in MOST fights he doesnt do enough to finish

Hes a bjj BB and trains under Renzo, hes a MT guy under Phil Nurse, trains boxing with Roach and he wrestles with the canadian wrestling team BUT even after all that aside from Hardy he hasnt come close to finishing anyone hes defended his title against

Im sorry but he just has a boring style Phone Post