GTA IV limited by 360

"During an interview with our partners in crime at Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar's creative vice president Dan Houser was asked: "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

He continued, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet." "

just require the hd to play it

LOL these aren't sports teams. I will probably end up buying the "winner" and not buying the "loser," I'm fine with being a console bandwagon jumper.

"i'm sick of it quite honestly."

lol

Isn't it time for v.3 by now?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

paraphrasing is a great way of lying without lying

You are getting quite tired with the bitter-guy-who-hates-everything-on-different-days routine orcus.

They can require a HD and sell tons. Besides, with PS3 sales stalling worldwide, you can bet your ass that development wise between the 360 and PS3 they are going to do what it takes to service the platform with the largest installed base that will make the most money, which will be 360 by several times over.

HD or not they will find a way. Even if they dont - two pressed DVD9's are still going to be cheaper than any BD disc.

So the only complaint is that you will have to have a HD?

Strongly rumored the 360 will drop price septemberish

"You are getting quite tired with the bitter-guy-who-hates-everything-on-different-days routine orcus."

What a weird comment. It's gaming news. This is a gaming forum. As someone who likes games, I'm not thrilled that developers have said they have to literally strip features from their games because of Microsoft's idiotic decision to have two versions of the 360, one without a hard drive.

Here's some good 360 news: Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 will have better anti-aliasing and better AI than the PS3 version.

Games like GTA are made for PS3, because they require seamless streaming. which is what the ps3 is made for. Another game like that is Lair, Rachet and Clank for example.

For Jockey

I thought MS was checking into new forms of compression to allow much more data onto std.dvd?

They'll sell way more games via the 360 than the PS3.....they'll make it work.

nhbdaddy. it is not about storing data on the dvd. it is about reading it. the xbox drive can read at 16 speed. but not constant. it drops also between 8 speed, 12 speed etc.

that is where the harddisk comes kicking in. so it can buffer the data when speed falls down.

what will happen now is that if you play the game on a xbox core. you will get a lot of stuttering i presume.

besides that, this game is way to much hype. lets face it. that trailer looked really so so. the backgrounds were kinda nice. but the charchter details like faces etc, looked last generation.

Another source: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/785/785344p1.html

"Lately we've seen several examples of publishers and developers favoring the Xbox 360 over the PlayStation 3. Some developers have complained that the PS3 is difficult to develop for, and top publishers have been making previously Sony-exclusive games available on Microsoft's console, where the install base is much higher. But one high-profile developer is sticking up for the PS3.

An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames, Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress. In contrast, all PS3s have a built-in hard drive and the console's Blu-Ray format can hold about five times as much content as DVD.

Houser does admit that of the two consoles, "both have enormous challenges," and "both have their own particular pleasures and pains."

"To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet," Houser explained."

This is the gamerground and news are news, only fanboy choose a side and close their eyes, MS did alot of stupid stuff also , not just sony, like forcing Epic too charges money for the new gow maps.That piss me off to no end.I will wait till there free in september.

Too bad for GTAIV being hold back by the 360, still its a Official PlayStation Magazine article, i will wait for a more independant article before going crazy. the same way I dont take anything too serious when its in Xbox Official Magazine.

Redeye, what I dont understand about the PS3 is that the loading time are horrible... Motorstorm load time are very long and the maps are very short...but they have the HD in every system. it just puzzle me.

For me GTAIV is a must buy , loved all the GTA's and loved Saint Row...i am just a sucker for those type of games!

Regardless, the game will come out in October, I have a 360 with a HD, I will buy it, and beat the shit out of it and love every single minute of it!

this is all spin.

Q&A with Game Informer (they played the 360 version):

Last week, Game Informer invited GTA fans to ask questions about their recent experience at R*. Game Informer's Andrew Reiner, the only journalist so far to have seen Grand Theft Auto IV in action, promised to answer as many of your questions as he can. The answers are in...

(Interesting points: There are no airplanes in GTA IV, but flying remains a big part of the game. This means you will be able to fly helicopters. Niko can also climb telephone poles, it seems.)

1. Kobe Asks: I heard that you can't fly in Liberty City anymore. What is up with that?! Flying is one of my favorite parts of this series!

This is incorrect. There are no airplanes in the game, but flying is still there. One means of this is the helicopter. As Dan pointed out, this is just one city and a plane really doesn't fit into that very well for gameplay. Flying is still very much a large part of the game.

2.Did you see any female pedestrians? Are there any good looking chicks?

Sigh.... Truth be told, I'm curious why anyone would want to know this. Is this really one of the top questions? If my memory serves me correctly, I don't recall myself thinking "man, that chick is banging" or "I find myself strangely attracted to this game", but I can confirm that there are female pedestrians in the game. There's a ton of 'em, too. They shop. They talk. They even wear clothing.

3.Did you see some indication of seasons (winter, summer, spring...)?

Sadly, the demo that Rockstar presented was only about 15 minutes in length. Time of day definitely progresses, but whether it progresses throughout an entire calendar year remains to be seen.

4.How is the AI? Are the enemies smarter? Can they find cover?

This is another area that Rockstar is keeping under wraps at the moment. I can, however, tell you that I saw a truck driver swerve onto the sidewalk right in front of where we were walking. This strange little incident also took the Rockstar representatives by surprise. It almost looked like the driver was drunk, but then again, he could have just been in a hurry too.

5.Is it possible to climb on a ladder?

I didn't see Niko climb a ladder, per se, but I did see him ascend a telephone pole to get a bird's eye view of Liberty City. He didn't climb up it like a gorilla, however. He simply pulled himself up on the series of rungs on the pole. This feat was actually quite impressive. You could clearly see his weight transfer from side to side as he moved up the pole.

6.Can you speak with other pedestrians on the street?

Niko seemed to have other things on his mind than talk with pedestrians. The people we passed, however, were very vocal.

7.Chester Asks: What was the first mission in the game, and what was you first word when you saw this new game?

I didn't get to see the first mission in the game, but if I had to guess, I would imagine it would have something to do with the taxi stand that Niko's cousin runs. As for my first word...I can't print it here, but I did follow it up with "Oh my God!"

8.Matt Asks: Did it seem to you like Liberty City was an authentically sized city? A problem that I had with San Andreas was that you could drive to a coast in two minutes. Do you think it will be different this time?

Great question. In terms of scale, it definitely feels more like a realistic city. It feels you are traversing New York City. As you've seen in the trailer, there are a number of ways to traverse this massive area.