GTA IV limited by 360

9.We didn't see any boats in the trailer, what can you tell us about them?

Dan wouldn't go into specifics on this one, but the only type of vehicle he said that wouldn't be in the game was the airplane. So this should point to boats still being a part of the GTA experience.

10.What can you say about the graphics quality? Can you compare the trailer to the game, is the trailers quality better or worse?

Rockstar is still putting polish on the graphics. The demo I saw was definitely a step up from the trailer...which is kind of ridiculous given how great it looked already.

11.Can you buy properties like you could in Vice City?

Again, no specifics were given, but Dan did say that this isn't a game of real estate, or from rags to riches. I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually do find new places to call home, but it sounds to me like properties might be handled in a different way – perhaps tied to moments in the story.

12.Will there be girlfriends like in San Andreas? If yes, can you marry them?

What is with you people and your woman-related questions. Yes, there are girlfriends. I forgot to ask if you could marry them.

13.Zhooles Asks: Unusual vehicles. Will be there any and if will, name them please.

Rockstar wouldn't reveal anything in the demo, but strange vehicles are very much a part of the GTA experience. Dan said that much of the game revolves around Niko. I have a feeling that the choice of the vehicles does as well.

14.Aaron Hall Asks: Rockstar have said that the cars in GTA IV will have all new physics to them and the camera will be closer to allow a better driving perspective of cruising Liberty city and seeing more detail on the cars.Could you please elaborate on the experience of driving best as possible and what's new to the experience? Thanks.

From what I was shown, the only new element was breaking the window of the car to get in. The animation for this was awesome, and something I wish I had seen more than once. The car I saw was newer in make – which was evidenced in both the beautiful crimson sheen and suspension that handled pot holes and variances in the road with ease. Now, I only saw one car, but it really did have that new car look to it. It'll be interesting to see how Rockstar handles the shocks and struts for other vehicles in the game.

If I had to give a comparison, I would say that the new camera angle positioning is more like Midnight Club now. It's closer, allowing the player to see more of the minute detailing on the car, and also lower, allowing you to see more of the horizon and verticality of the city.

15.Alex Sheridan Asks: As far as the surrounding area of Liberty City goes, what can we expect to see in things such as countryside relative to San Andreas?

From what I am told, you will not see countryside like you did in San Andreas. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the expanded content that Rockstar is planning through Xbox Live will offer new areas to explore. I can definitely see them adding a fifth borough to Liberty City, but outside of this, anything is possible.

16.Have you seen members of any mobs in the game? If yes, which? Is new Liberty City a detailed copy of NY, or just is looking like it? Are there houses enterable without loading?

I didn't see any mob members, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Rockstar didn't reveal everything to me. There's still a lot of the game that remains blanketed in mystery. It is GTA, however, so I would be shocked if a mob or two or three weren't involved. As for your second question, Liberty City is modeled after New York City, but it isn't a copy, per se. As Dan pointed out in the magazine, the real world isn't fun. You can't just throw in the city and expect gameplay to emerge from that. There are certainly recognizable parts to it, but the gameplay comes first.

17.Sacha Asks: Will characters from earlier GTAs appear in the game?

Rockstar wouldn't say outright, but from the smile that Dan Houser gave me, I would say there's a good possibility of crossover.

18.Bobby Swansom Asks: Will the player have to go to the gym and eat right as in GTA:SA?

It doesn't sound like Niko is the sort of person who does a lot of working out to staying in shape. From this, don't expect him to have to work out to stay slim. As for eating, I doubt we'll see him doing that, either. The one thing I am not sure of is whether or not he can get haircuts or buy clothing.

1. J Asks: Is it true that there's no load time?

I didn't see one load in the entire demo, and this included visiting two interiors at different points on the map.

20.Marcus Asks: What was the phone like?

The graphic for the phone wasn't finished just yet, so I won't go into the detail on that, but it seemed that the interface was very simple in design and easy to use. Truth be told, it looked like a real cell phone. We just have to see if it drops as many calls as a real phone.

21.Brenny Asks: Is it still the same three cars over and over again like previous games we've seen?

I'm not sure which GTA you've played, but I have always had more than three cars to choose from. There's a good chance you'll see more taxi cabs than usual, but if anything, there should be plenty of rides to choose from.

22.Gary S Writes: How are the graphics and how far is the draw distance in the game?

The visuals are tremendous and easily some of the best I have seen. What's scary about this statement is that Rockstar North is still improving upon the visuals. There's little question that it will be one of the best looking games come this holiday. As for the draw distance, I didn't see one building, car, streetlamp, or pedestrian pop up. The framerate was also incredibly smooth and the lighting really couldn't have been much better.

23.Isaac "Sculay" Hussain Asks: Will there be a Xbox 360 Demo?

Rockstar hasn't announced anything yet, but I have a feeling most people will pick this game up whether they play it in advance or not.

24.A Canadian Asks: I just wanted to know when GTA IV for Xbox 360 will be in stores in Quebec, Canada.

Nope. Rockstar specifically told me that Quebec is the one location on earth that won't be getting GTA IV. Actually, I have no idea. Call your store to find out.

25.Matthew James Asks: Compared to previous GTA titles, how big is GTA IV?

I already talked a lot about the city, so I will answer this question like it is being asked about the length of the game itself. I asked Dan this, and he said it should be comparable to all the other GTA games, but they don't know exactly how long it is since the game is still in development. In other words, you'll still be able to vest hundreds of hours. The multiplayer component, which is still a mystery, could greatly expand the time you spend with it too.

that interview makes me happy!

man am i hype for this game!!!!!

I'm flattered v2 has taken time out of his important WoW schedule to return to trolling me for awhile.

"i dont play WoW anymore. havent for over a month."

Quite frankly this is like saying "I haven't shot up for a month, I am no longer a junkie."

Give us an update 3 years from now.

1up.com:

"The game engine is the same one used in Table Tennis: The Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE) is being used on a slightly larger scale here, and it appears as though it's being used to great effect. Rockstar claims that, once the game loads for the first time on startup, you won't see another loading screen. Ever. Not even when moving from outdoor to interior areas.

Characters won't be animated: At least not in the traditional way. Instead, movement will be governed by the "Digital Motion Synthesis" of the Euphoria Engine created by a company called NaturalMotion. We saw this technology in use at last year's E3 in a demo of LucasArts' Indiana Jones, and it was pretty damn impressive. Rather than moving characters via motion-capture data or hand animation, the Euphoria Engine allows designers to create characters that essentially animate themselves. This means that movement and physical reactions will vary greatly depending on the circumstances. In a large-scale city setting like GTA's, it may provide a vastly more powerful sense of a realistic, living metropolis.

According to everyone that has seen the game in person, it actually looks better than the enormously detailed trailer. "

Thanks for the lesson RedEye...your alright...I dont care what they say about you.. ;)

sounds awesome

I say fuck them both.

If you have to research so much and drudge through all the bullshit hype and slagging from both sides I say it's not work it.

I fell the same way about PC gaming these days too. Half the games suck and the other half don't work. The screenshots and videos look good but there is no way you are getting those framerates on your system.

If I hear one more time to update my drivers i'll kill someone.

"Bwaaahahaha No."

Sounds like someone hasn't seen any of the many real-time demos of Euphoria shown over the past few years...

Maybe your friend the animator is worried he won't be needed anymore :P

If it doesn't do anything new, I don't know why so many companies are paying to license it for their games...

"Sure every level is different, but when you take away the artist and put in a generator you'll never get the quality something hand crafted can give you."

The animations in something like GTA have always sucked for the most part, particularly stuff like people being knocked over, kicked, etc. I can't imagine the results with this won't be significantly better. Just like how the animations for people being killed/falling over always sucked until Havok and real ragdoll stuff (Max Payne 2, Psi-Ops, Half Life 2).

"There's one of their videos showcasing their animation, the final animation is crap you, it looks like a stiff ragdoll floating through the air, there's no weight, the impact is stiff, just boring."

Looks good to me -- certainly better than any hand-to-hand combat results I've seen in any non-two-player-fighting game. And certainly better than having everyone always fall in the exact same animation no matter where you make contact, etc.