Guard on Asphalt

Well I finally got to use the guard in a streetfight.

Last night in Pacific beach me, my sister and a couple buddies were in about the middle of the line to get into the tavern.

My sister is told by the bouncer to get in line cause she is standing about 2 feet outside the line, no big deal. The problem started because he started mad-dogging my sister like he was gonna punch here! She has some colorful tatoos and gets some looks normally, but this bouncer was on such a power trip he just had to give the "I will smash you look". Well as big brother I said so do you want to punch her or what, why the mad-dog look? He glares at me and said well you can stand in line but you are not going in.

Well I hate waiting in line, I hate power tripping bouncers, and so I had to tell him that he was a pussy on a power trip and that this is bullshit. As we get out oif line he still gives the tough guy stare and I remind him that he is still a power tripping pussy and he should talk to me in the parking lot about it. Well he waves for his back-up and they follow me to the parking lot.

Fat, angry, bouncer boy walks up towards me gets about two feet away and gets my elbow in his mouth cause he started to lift his arm like he could swing.
It was not a good elbow he just caught the end of it, we get in a clinch and my shirt gets caught in his hand and starts to go over my head, right then I decided to just go defensive and I was looking at his knees and feeling his balance to see if he was going to swing or knee me. I knew the other bouncer was right there and would jump in if I start kneeeing and elbowing this guy. Any way I end up on the ground, I think I just got off balance when my shirt went all the way over my head and came off. Fat boy is on me right away in guard. Right away I start to pivot and It does not feel good on my back, I can't really get my hips out so I just get a real high guard and start to work a triangle but he is too fat, and I can't get a good angle. I switch to his arm and secure it, start to extend his arm feel the asphalt in my back, my sis ter then jumps on his back smashing into the asphalt a little more and stacking him (thanks sis) the other bouncer jumps in, grabs my leg, fat boy pushes my sister into a car after one leg is peeled off him. She gets some scratches from the bumper of a bmw, 3 rd bouncer comes up and grabs me as I stand up and I just relax.

They call the cops, take a bunch of pictures of his lip, sit me in the car, tell me I am going to jail, let me go with a ticket and court date.

That was just about the worst conditions to play guard, no shirt on, fat strong guy on top, on asphalt.

It was probably only 20-30 seconds total, but he never even got close to attempting a punch in the guard. My back got the worst of it, just a big light scratch over most it. Pivoting was the bitch, I have long legs so high guard worked.

Guard is good for the street in some ways, defense from getting hit by a much bigger guy, subs are there but you are going to just have to sacrifice your body, the biggest difference is that pivoting smooth just does not happen the asphalt and skin just stick to each other.

No shattering bats or seven attackers, nobody even got hurt, legaly,physically, thats the best outcome.

I still can't stand punk ass power tripping security.

This is a good example of why MMA-Grappling tactics are not always the best options in the street...

I think the elbow kneew option is best. Or if you can a throw. Working off your back sucks in the street.

so you called him out and he beat your ass? j/k :)

I was messing around with some friends when I was drunk one night and eded up playing guard on asphalt and although I finished with a kimura I ended up with scrapes from head to toe.

"This is a good example of why MMA-Grappling tactics are not always the best options in the street... "

What do you mean? This is a GREAT example of mma-grappling tactics working in the street. I hope you are being sarcastic.

"This is a good example of why MMA-Grappling tactics are not always the best options in the street..."

What kind of stupid shit is this to say? If he didnt know grappling the damn bouncer would have mounted him and pounded the shit out of him.

playing the guard lines your head up for someone else to soccer punt it.

legally, you'll be found guilty of your ticket.

let this be two lessons for you.

stephen

i had a similar incident with a big (250+ lb) bouncer at the sunset room last night. he was an out of control power trippin mofo. anyway, he wanted to box so we headed to the back alley. he ended up backing out but i (160 lb) thought i could take this guy.

question: if a bouncer or anyone wants to scuffle and we mutually agree to it, can i be arrested or cited for a fight that was mutually agreed upon? how can i get in a fight and not get in trouble for it?

never fought a guy that much bigger than me. if you're in a fight with a guy that's about 100lbs bigger than you, what's the best tactic?

He is very lucky that the other two boncers didn't kick the shit out of him...

First, he should have just left, not asked that boncer to meet him in the parking lot... the guy was just doing his job. Dealing with drunks all night is not fun...

Second, he should have used striking to keep the buncer from ever even clinching... range and distance... He KNEW it was a multiple opponet fight...

"Any way I end up on the ground, I think I just got off balance when my shirt went all the way over my head and came off. " AKA he was taken down. ISO clinching the best bet would have been boxing... If the fatty forced the clinch; knee, elbow, bite (if needed), and headbutt out of the clinch... make that fatty keep moving, he will gas...

By pulling guard or putting yourself in a position where you are taken down, you are trappling yourself, taking away mobility and options... never mind putting your sister in harms way and causing her injuries...

"If he didnt know grappling the damn bouncer would have mounted him and pounded the shit out of him. " It sounds to me like the only thing that stopped the pounding was the other bouncers, not grappling...

It is easy for me to arm chair quarter back, and I am sure Wrekkle is a good fighter... but none of this should have even happened... so what, the guy was a dick... no reason to fight him and two buddies when your going out for a good time... Wrekkler is lucky he didn't go to the hospital...

"What do you mean? This is a GREAT example of mma-grappling tactics working in the street." How did they work? I hope YOU are being sarcastic...

"if a bouncer or anyone wants to scuffle and we mutually agree to it, can i be arrested or cited for a fight that was mutually agreed upon? " Yes... assult,disordely conduct, creating a public nucance, and disturbing the peace...

Congratulations on sticking up for your sister.
Techniques sometimes work effectively and sometimes don't in the gym... not to say in the street in the middle of an actual fight. You did good coming out unharmed.

You did good standing up for your loved one.

Tony

wrekker scored the elbow to the grill and only wound up with a few scratches... not bad.

i remember after the last ufc seeing 5 bouncers booking out the door of cheetahs, when we left a few minutes later there was some little metro sobbing, handcuffed on the curb covered in blood... thats bad.

I DID NOT want to beat this guy up bad.

When my shirt was going over my head, I made a decision there to basically just go defense. He was not trying to knee me, or even throw a punch. I knew if I just started throwing knees and elbows of my own, I would probably land easily BUT the other bouncer would rush in and I could not see him. Mainly because the guy I was tangled with was not being aggressive striking at all is why I did not open up more on the feet.

I have worked as a doorman and inside in a club where we had fights alot. I know about the bull rush, though I wanted to hit him, I knew I could just defend and not get into a big mess.

I did not pull guard either, that I would almost never do, I think when my shirt came off is when I fell tangled, whatever.

Also, more often than not without serious injury to either party nothing ends up happenning legally.
The D.A. has better things to do.

Its also all about having some money at worst case if you do get in trouble, its not fair but its true.

I have had more fights outside of the ring than in it, most do not end on the ground for me, cause if I fight I hit them first and thats it.

Bottom line is its hard to win fighting bouncers, I knew that before it happened, cause you can end up with more than one. I did say to the bouncer "hey you gonna fight one on one win or lose? He was just that big of a asshole, and its my sister. Because he just was grabbing and not swinging is why I just went for a arm instaed of really just getting to my feet and trying to hurt him.

As for guard working in the street it does but not the same way it does in the gym and ring (especially with no shirt on!)

MMA techniques are the best for the street, the guard with no shirt on asphalt even worked but is not my first choice. I do not want to fight in public, don't advocate it, but I know the risk and sometimes its worth it. I don't lose my head in situations, and know how to adjust. This was a high risk situation, for getting in possible trouble but not for really getting hurt. Big guys, gang bangers, power tripping assholes just need to be stood up to, I will do it sometimes and am smart enough to do it the safest way possible.
That being said, I will avoid it as much as possible.
I only hit him once, that wasn't so much fun. If I really kick his ass then I get in trouble, or get jumped. Tough spot.

Nice post by HonkeyStyle.

Gary Hughes

broken_glass.png

that looks like a good spot to roll

desert_cactus.pngfilthy_alley.png

speaking from experience i wont let a little thing like an irritating asphault on my back stop me from executing my moves on anyone, either subs..positioning or striking.. adrenalyn is to high and life is at risk when fat boy is laying on me and his friends are there.

HonkeyStyle, and a bunch of others are idiots IMHO. The fight went great from Wreckers perspective. Nobody got hurt and he got to let of some steam. A slightly scratched back is nothing...