guardpass defense sequence

Did something fun in class the other day. We were working on the good'ol one arm under the leg, other one controling the other leg (kinda like setting yourself up for a triangle but controling the leg) guard pass, and me and the guy i was working with had been watching Joachim Hansen fight a few days ago and he inspired a defense to this move.

So long story short, i train at SBG now so the coach decided to try to ask everyone to pair up and work on this position, trying to find a defense to it, or further moves from the bottom position, here's what came out of the 20 minute brainstorming. Would be interested in hearing if someone else has been playing with a similar thing (maybe this isn't "new" at all lol), or if they find it useful.

My coach decided to take pictures and make descriptions for our newly made forum so our members can review and discuss moves after class, so i figured i'd share with you guys and get some input :) So here it is:

(Guy with the gi = ME, guy with the rashguard = Kári)

Lately we've been doing a lot of passing from single

A few days ago, two of the guys came up with this counter:

1) My right hand grabs my right foot to isolate Kári left hand
<>2) Put my left foot on his right hip
3) Sit up with my left elbow
x) I can try to get a butterfly hook with my right foot to control him more

So the problem of the night was:

• Is it possible to pass when the guy is defending like this?
  • Can the defend position be used for sweeps, etc.?

After 20 minutes people had come up with this:

DROP TO HALFGUARD

As long as I don't have the butterfly hook with my right foot, Kári can drop to half guard:

First, he turns his right arm so the elbow controls my knee. He grabs my pants by the ancle.

He streches his arm and my leg between his legs (not standing that high, only to illustrate)

Isolates my right leg and drops to halfguard.

Controls my upperbody and starts passing.

ATTEMPT TO DROP TO HALFGUARD -> PASS

The situation is a little different if I have the hook with my right foot:

First control without the gi. I grab behind the elbow.

With the gi (gotta imagine that one), I can grap the sleeve.

Kári attempts the drop to halfguard, but it doesn't work because of my hook.

Instead he jumps all the way over and lands on my left side with his shoulder in my chest to control upperbody.

Turns, pulls knee in to block guard and finish pass.

ATTEMPT DROP TO HALFGUARD -> MOUNT

Same situation as before.

I hook with my right foot so he can't drop to halfguard. This time I pull my toes to myself to he can't jump all the way over as before without me lifting and making him roll.

Instead of jumping to pass, he works his right leg up over me right knee.

Hooks with the left leg and mounts.

ELEVATOR SWEEP WITH UNDERHOOK -> TRIANGLE

This is a simple elevator sweep from the position we worked with.

First I get the butterfly hook with my right leg. Sweep seems most easy to do when I control behind the elbow.

If I just lift right away, Kári can post with his right hand. If I don't already control that arm, this is exactly what I want him to do so I can get it.

Too difficult to control by the write, but an underhook will do the job perfectly.

Allmost over, so from here I can secure mount or...

...take triangle. Pulls up his head, insert my leg.

Roll and close it in.

ohh btw since this description was not written by ME, to clarify, i'm Kári and guy in gi=Christian the coach at my gym :)

Thanks for sharing that.  I really enjoyed it.  It's great to brainstorm like that and come with some sequences.  I tell guys to try doing things like that especially if they got a little injury or are sort of burned out from rolling a lot already.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

t!