Guided/teaching scrambling

I've trained with some excellent scramblers but t seems its a really inconsistent thing to teach besides time on the mat.

My question for you guys is when teaching it how do you offer a guide to them for scrambling. What is their navigation/compass? Totally underutilized concept IMO! Phone Post

Yeah I agree with you.   I'm wasn't  a wrestler  nor am I a coach but I've been able to train with some wrestlers and have seen some really good coaches teach my son.  

When a wrestler is good at scrambling they would say he is funky or had a funky style.  Ben askren is probably the most famous funky wrestler but there's actually a lot of them.   Used to be you we're either funky or you were not.  Recently though there's been an effort to try and actually teach scrambling like your talking  about.

Heres two examples. 

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/238901-Compound-Summer-Camps-Training/video/506274-Compound-Scramble-Camp-Mashup

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YxhairJ2-fo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYxhairJ2-fo

Hope that helps some.  I'm a fan of your videos so I'd like to see what you come up with for bjj specific scrambling drills

^^those are some crappy links. I was on my wife's iPad. Ill find some better video from those camps and post them tomorrow when I get to a real computer. Phone Post

Watch more videos on Flowrestling

Watch more videos on Flowrestling

LEMon -  I've trained with some excellent scramblers but t seems its a really inconsistent thing to teach besides time on the mat.

My question for you guys is when teaching it how do you offer a guide to them for scrambling. What is their navigation/compass? Totally underutilized concept IMO! Phone Post

Like i said, im no coach but some of the concepts the coaches talk about is "high ankles win scrambles".  Meaning elevate his ankle/ankles higher than you.  Also, "dominate/control his hips".  Thats more a concept than a technique but you can see it when someone gets it and when they dont. 

Im in for the guys who actually know what their talking about to chime in.  LOL

Watch more video of Wrestling in Madison Square Garden on flowrestling.org

lot of good scrambles in this match

Thanks for the great reply Chip I haven't had a chance to watch on a laptop yet but it is very helpful.

A good grappler I know calls scrambling the ability to think in a higher gear . Phone Post