Gun-Control Groups Pressure NJ to Enforce Gun Law

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/11/18/gun-control-groups-pressure-new-jersey-to-enforce-unusual-gun-law/

Gun-Control Groups Pressure New Jersey to Enforce Unusual Gun Law

Gun-control groups in New Jersey and Washington, D.C. are urging a New Jersey court to make the state enforce an unusual law, one that could ultimately ban sales in the state of all handguns that don’t embrace some sort of smart technology.

Two groups — the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and a New Jersey chapter of the Million Mom March — renewed their arguments in a filing made last week, urging the New Jersey Superior Court to make the state enforce the law.

A bit of background: In 2002, New Jersey passed a law saying that once technology is available to prevent a gun from being used by an unauthorized person, only that type of handgun may be sold in the state.

The New Jersey law, the only one of its kind in the U.S., mandates that within three years from the date such a gun becomes available in any state, all handguns sold in New Jersey must include technology to limit their use to specific people.

Under the law, the New Jersey attorney general is obliged every six months to inquire as to whether such firearms are available, and report back to the governor and state legislature.

But the groups allege the attorney general has only issued one report, in 2003, and has since “failed to meet [the law's] provisions.”

In May, the groups sued the acting attorney general, John Jay Hoffman, to force him to enforce the law. Why now? Because, the groups allege, “[i]f recent news reports are accurate, then these firearms have already been made available for retail sales purposes in other states, and thus the three-year period should have already started.”

Specifically, earlier this year, two gun shops — one in California and another in Maryland — put a personalized gun on their shelves. (In each instance, the owners quickly pulled the gun — the Armatix iP1 pistol — after gun-rights supporters objected.)

But when the gun went on sale in California, the groups claim, the three-year period should have started.

“However, the Attorney General’s failure to report this fact to the Governor and the Legislature risks delaying the start of the three-year period in clear violation of New Jersey law,” reads the groups’ motion.

A spokesman for the attorney general’s office declined to comment.

There has been talk in recent months of repealing the law. State Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg said in May that she and her colleagues would change a the law, but only if the National Rifle Association vowed not to try to stand in the way of the manufacture or sale of smart guns. So far, nothing beyond this has happened.

Million woman march? Lol. Stupid females. Someone needs to tell them to get their asses back in the kitchen and make a million sammwiches. Phone Post 3.0

Smart guns are not ready yet.

And a generally terrible idea. Phone Post 3.0

tj tapper - Smart guns are not ready yet.

And that is why the anti gunners are pushing it

Good. The people of New Jersey deserve this shit. They consistently vote for it.

Who votes for these politicians?

tj tapper - Smart guns are not ready yet.

They should change the name, if that's the case.

Do you ever create threads that aren’t gun related?

White347LX - Who votes for these politicians?

The idiot citizens of New Jersey (that is to say, the vast majority).

Curtis_E_Bare - 

Do you ever create threads that aren’t gun related?

I add into other threads. Working out, MILFS, Inequality, Divorce, I give advice to young guys, Marriage/divorce, sex, sex, hot women.

Teach me about sex and hot women. Phone Post 3.0

tj tapper - Teach me about sex and hot women. Phone Post 3.0

The only way you'll ever have sex with a hot woman is by using a gun.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!!

angryinch - 
tj tapper - Teach me about sex and hot women. Phone Post 3.0

The only way you'll ever have sex with a hot woman is by using a gun.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!!

LOL

heyoooo!

Good. The sooner this becomes ripe the sooner the Supremes can shoot it down and the gun control retards will expend tons of time and resources in the process. Phone Post 3.0