Gun crime on the rise in France...

...Or is it just being more widely reported on now???

A police operation was under way Monday in a housing estate in the French city of Marseille where residents said "Kalashnikov shots" were fired "in the air", sources close to the case said, adding there were no victims.

According to an AFP photographer on site, special forces entered the La Castellane estate, which is known for being a drug trafficking hotspot.

The outbreak of violence in the notorious estate, where a 25-year-old was shot dead last month in a settling of scores, comes as Prime Minister Manuel Valls is due to visit the southern port city later Monday.

Marseille has for years been plagued by rampant gang-related gun violence.

Police say many murders in the city are linked to turf wars between multiple rival gangs battling for control of the drugs trade in the city's poorest neighbourhoods. Phone Post 3.0

Obviously France needs to implement gun control. If guns weren't widely available then there would be no gun violence whatsoever.

phydeau - Obviously France needs to implement gun control. If guns weren't widely available then there would be no gun violence whatsoever.
This Phone Post 3.0

I didn't read that as gun crime increasing, I read that as drug-trafficking gangs being a problem. Phone Post 3.0

ThisIsWhyWeCantHaveNiceThings - I didn't read that as gun crime increasing, I read that as drug-trafficking gangs being a problem. Phone Post 3.0
Same thing people should read in America

The demographic of gun crime is heavily minority gangs Phone Post 3.0

The only way to fix this problem is to give everyone guns Phone Post 3.0

Spurs!_always_breaking_like_andys_leg - The only way to fix this problem is to give everyone guns Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0

ThisIsWhyWeCantHaveNiceThings - I didn't read that as gun crime increasing, I read that as drug-trafficking gangs being a problem. Phone Post 3.0

More because of this line...

"Marseille has for years been plagued by rampant gang-related gun violence."

And because you never hear about it being reported... Ever.

amadeus -
ThisIsWhyWeCantHaveNiceThings - I didn't read that as gun crime increasing, I read that as drug-trafficking gangs being a problem. Phone Post 3.0

More because of this line...

"Marseille has for years been plagued by rampant gang-related gun violence."

And because you never hear about it being reported... Ever.
Why would you expect crime in a provincial French city to be widely reported on by the US media?

Also, its fairly well known within Europe that Marseille is rife with gang problems. Phone Post 3.0

Marseille has been the most violent city in France for centuries, I am no shitting you. It has a history of gangs and violence.
All gun violence, except the occasional "islamic" shootings is drug trafficking related.
We don't need more guns. Drug traffickers kill each other, not random people in the street, most of the time... Phone Post 3.0

BUT LE GUNS WE AVE BANNED THEM NO?

Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year

Homicide
France - .2
US - 2.8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

amadeus - ...Or is it just being more widely reported on now???

A police operation was under way Monday in a housing estate in the French city of Marseille where residents said "Kalashnikov shots" were fired "in the air", sources close to the case said, adding there were no victims.

According to an AFP photographer on site, special forces entered the La Castellane estate, which is known for being a drug trafficking hotspot.

The outbreak of violence in the notorious estate, where a 25-year-old was shot dead last month in a settling of scores, comes as Prime Minister Manuel Valls is due to visit the southern port city later Monday.

Marseille has for years been plagued by rampant gang-related gun violence.

Police say many murders in the city are linked to turf wars between multiple rival gangs battling for control of the drugs trade in the city's poorest neighbourhoods. Phone Post 3.0

I don't believe this story. Guns are strictly controlled in France.

attjack - Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year

Homicide
France - .2
US - 2.8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
Winning Phone Post 3.0