Gun guys... 870 express jamming

My 870 wouldn't stop jamming as well. Fucking manufacture defect.

I used department issued ( beat unmercifully) for 30 years and only remember one failure to feed

GuttyProfessor -

Never carry or use an untested weapon. Also, never carry or use a weapon that has repeatedly failed. Thank goodness you haven’t had to use it and had it fail you. Don’t give it to anyone as a functional weapon. Have a gunsmith fender it totally unusable and pass it on as a souvenier if anything. Otherwise, have your local gun shop dispose of it properly.

Or he could you know fix it. 

Describe the jam. It’s probably an extractor but info would help. 

This only happened to me when I used Winchester ammo....

I have a remington model 12 sportsman which is a poor man's 870. I bought it 38 years ago. Not much problems with it. I would have a good gunsmith fix it and do some testing on it to be sure the problem is resolved.

I have an 870 and the only time I have had issues was when using the dirt cheap low velocity ammo at a clay shoot. This same ammo was causing jams with all the guns in our group (Benelli, Browning, etc.).

No issues ever with my 1100 or 870 wingmaster. I know those Express models are for their budget line though...Remingtons QA is unrecognizable now unfortunately.

GuttyProfessor - 

Never carry or use an untested weapon. Also, never carry or use a weapon that has repeatedly failed. Thank goodness you haven’t had to use it and had it fail you. Don’t give it to anyone as a functional weapon. Have a gunsmith fender it totally unusable and pass it on as a souvenier if anything. Otherwise, have your local gun shop dispose of it properly.

Makes no sense based on one failure in 20 years.

Arodjohns -
awilson82 - 

Describe the jam. It’s probably an extractor but info would help. 

I was thinking about this. Would an extractor really cause him to have to mortar the gun to get it to open up? I’m thinking that a broken extractor would, at worst, cause it to slip off the rim instead of locking the entire action up. Even if it was trying to double feed due to not extracting right, it’d probably stop far short of the mechanical bolt lock.

IMO, it almost sounds like he’s got so much gunk built up in the action that it’s not allowing the action to unlock. The fact that this happened multiple times makes me think so.

Agree without knowing more it’s hard to say though. It just usually an extractor issue with 870s so that’s kinda a default response lol. 

OP I’ll give you $100 for your busted 870 lol. 

When I took my Shotgun class at the range, the instructor went through some drills on clearing jams. He said the Remington 870 is hard to clear when it does jam compared to the Mossberg 500, and worst was the semi-auto Benelli. And sure enough as we were doing the clearing jams, my Mossberg gave me no problems in clearing it while the two guys with 870s had problems and the guy with the semi-auto Benelli, who was also the most experienced shooter in the group, had a hell of a time.

BTW, as has been said earlier in the thread, but I’ll mention it too, that 870s of the last 10 years or so are junk. I’ve read on shotgun forums years ago when I was trying to see which shotgun to buy that they were even worse quality than the Chinese knock-offs of the 870s.

Arodjohns -
GuttyProfessor - 

Would you tow your car to a junk yard every time you needed an oil change?

Of course not. This is a stupid post and I think considerably less of you for posting it. In the future, refrain from posting in gun threads since it’s obvious that you know just about jack shit about them.

Respectfully- although you don’t deserve it- I disagree. He is talking about a type of gun known for issues similar to what he is experiencing. This is not an isolated incident that should be treated the same as if he had a Glock for 10 years and it jammed one time. This is a firearm that jammed multiple times during a single trip to the range. This is a firearm which is known for exactly this issue. Why trust it to work in a time of need of it shows you it doesn’t operate properly when you are putting rounds through it at the range? 

billyball2 -
GuttyProfessor - 

He said it jammed multiple times during a single trip to the range.

GuttyProfessor - 
billyball2 -
GuttyProfessor - 

Right, the weapon failed.

He needs to identify why it failed and then fix it.

If there’s a problem with the extractor then it will effect all the rounds you cycle after it fails.

It doesn’t mean the weapon needs to be melted into scrap.

willis007 - 

This only happened to me when I used Winchester ammo....

Interesting. I usually use federal, but grabbed a couple boxes of winchester on my way out as an afterthought.

As for the rest of the thread, thanks for the input. I have tore the gun down many times, and always clean it the best I can/know how everytime I shoot.

The frustration has passed, going to tear it down and check it out tomorrow.

Arodjohns -
GuttyProfessor - 
Arodjohns -
GuttyProfessor - 

Would you tow your car to a junk yard every time you needed an oil change?

Of course not. This is a stupid post and I think considerably less of you for posting it. In the future, refrain from posting in gun threads since it’s obvious that you know just about jack shit about them.

Respectfully- although you don’t deserve it- I disagree. He is talking about a type of gun known for issues similar to what he is experiencing. This is not an isolated incident that should be treated the same as if he had a Glock for 10 years and it jammed one time. This is a firearm that jammed multiple times during a single trip to the range. This is a firearm which is known for exactly this issue. Why trust it to work in a time of need of it shows you it doesn’t operate properly when you are putting rounds through it at the range? 

Respectfully, although you don’t deserve it, you don’t know shit about this. Be quiet while the men are talking.

It’d probably take me an hour to get that gun running perfectly again.

You’re super tough from your keyboard in mommy’s basement. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. Mine is that I’d never carry weapons that failed me. You want to trust your amateur gunsmithing skills, go ahead. Have a pro fix it. Maybe it’s perfect maybe it’s not. I might shoot it at the range, but I’d never bet my life on it. 

Random Hero -

The newer 870 express have problems extracting. If your is 20 plus years old, it’s probably of higher quality. something may have just worn out, not a faulty part/design. 

This. The post 2007 Remington products as a generality fucking suck. Its an extractor or bolt related problem Im sure. A quality 870 will give you a yeoman's life of service. Literally use it until the receiver itself was a no go lol.

Should be an easy fix my friend.

Hell Ive heard of people getting a couple hundred k through some of the older ones lol.

I had the same issue in my 870. The chamber needed a bit of a cleaning and polish. Pretty common within the first 250 rounds or so but I’ve never heard of it after. In any case, I used a dremmel to polish the chamber. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaeYvXRt4WE

GuttyProfessor -
billyball2 -
GuttyProfessor - 

And? Mechanical devices fail for all kinds of reasons all the time. The service life of an 870 or one of the old Winchester 1300s etc is fucking insane lol. People have gotten hundreds of thousands of rounds out of pumpguns.

Its probably something as simple as a warn extractor spring or pluger or the extractor itself. Hell if he wants he can replace the entire bolt and the ejector. Ive done it on multiple shotguns and had them running like new. 

I had a 1300 defender with at least 100k on it. Swapped an extractor. Then the bolt, then the ejector etc.

TFK_HossPearson - 

I had the same issue in my 870. The chamber needed a bit of a cleaning and polish. Pretty common within the first 250 rounds or so but I’ve never heard of it after. In any case, I used a dremmel to polish the chamber. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaeYvXRt4WE

Fucking Sweet!

So I tore it apart, cleaned and lubed everything, yet jamming remained.

I “polished” the inside of the chamber and saw an immediate improvement, yet still an occasional only after firing.

I switched the ammo from Winchester back to Federal which is what I normally shoot and the problem went away.

I tried high brass and did not have an issue.

I tried Winchester again, and issue returned. It’s only after firing the Winchester though that it gives me an issue. The slight swelling is causing the shell to stick in the chamber. I’m going to try a little more polishing with some fine sandpaper and see if I can get it to not be picky.

Definitely on the right track though!

1 Like