Gun questions- help me out here...

I want to get a gun.  Preferrably a revolver and preferrably some thing some-what heavy.

I would like 8 shots, some thing would good stopping power.

I plan on carrying this weapon on my person so preferrably some thing that doesn't have too long of a barrel.

Is that possible?

Suggestions/Advice?

I'll be back in about 30 to answer any questions that might be asked. 

Smith and Wesson makes a series of 8-shot, .357 revolvers with various barrel lengths.

I can't get to the site from work, but check it out.

Thanks willy!  I put this up on the OG after a lack of response.  But I appreciate the advice.

I bought a Taurus .357 for my mom that was magna-ported and a titanium frame. Had a short nose and rubberized handle. Very sweet.

yeah a 357 is more than likely what you would like. somewhat light, concealable with plenty of stopping power.

You don't want a .357 to be too light. It won't be very fun to fire.

I like my .44 mag.

But a .357 wouldn't be a bad choice either, just not as much stopping power.

gregbrady - You don't want a .357 to be too light. It won't be very fun to fire.
Personally, I agree. I've got a sold stainless steel 38 snub. With .38+P rounds in it, it's like catching a fastball rock in your palm. Ouch.

Now, if I lost most of the weight, like those cool scadnium frames, and upped the pressure to .357 mag, I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

On the plus side, the muzzle flash fireball would be spectacular. With the .38+P, it's about the size of a volleyball for an instant. 

Awesome

I read somewhere back when they used to issue cops revolvers a lot of dept's would issue them light .357 snub-noses. Virtually all of the cops would put .38's in them.

38's for practice .357's for carry.

Taurus makes a nice line of Snubs that should fit your carry needs. Many snubs tend to be 5 rounders.

If you ever come across a mdl 19 S&W combat mag. snatch it up.
ST~

Anyone fired the new Ruger LCR?

Smith and wesson Model 65 is all you need.

gregbrady - Anyone fired the new Ruger LCR?

Haven't tried it, but reviews on TFL and the high road have been positive.

^Seems like a good gun to hike 12 miles a day with. Nice and light.

SteelTalon - 38's for practice .357's for carry.

Taurus makes a nice line of Snubs that should fit your carry needs. Many snubs tend to be 5 rounders.

If you ever come across a mdl 19 S&W combat mag. snatch it up.
ST~

If you do this, make sure you have practiced with your carry ammo.

The flash from a snub-nose .357 would actually momentarily blind you if it was dark I would think.

gregbrady - The flash from a snub-nose .357 would actually momentarily blind you if it was dark I would think.

With cheaper ammo yes.... Good self defense ammo like Speer Gold dot, Winchester Ranger and corbon are using flash suppressing powder. Yes you still get some flash, I think that is unavoidable. But the good ones are not blinding anymore.