Gust: I don't think Shogun is what he was

BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - Gustaffson is right, go watch the Vera fight.

Your lack of respect for Vera might be clouding your vision. Phone Post

Very good fight. Don't get the 30-26 though - how the hell was the last round 10-8? You almost have to kill somebody to get a 10-8 in MMA and while Shogun didn't have much offense that round, I wouldn't say it was any sort of domination by Gus.

But Gus certainly deserved to win the fight. First round was dead-even, and I think Gus edged out the 2nd round via takedowns. Though I think Shogun landed better shots on the feet in round 2 so that round is somewhat debatable.

You could actually argue by 10 point system that Shogun won 29-28, though Gus for sure showed he's the better fighter and would have won handily via Pride "overall" standards.

The big question mark I had for Gus was definitely answered tonight, and then some - dude took some BOMBS from Shogun and never even appeared staggered! Unbelievably impressed by that! The power was what I thought Shogun's equalizer would be but damn, Gus some some chin.

Still don't think he'd pose Jones much threat, and think Machida would beat Gus also. Also think Hendo poses a slightly bigger threat to Jones (though I'd pick Gus to beat Hendo) just because of the power in his hands - Gus would have to out-point Jones probably and I just cannot see anybody out-pointing Jones, Gus has power but certainly not Hendo like power so I'd give Hendo a very slightly better shot.

But, it's very hard to see anybody beating Jones. Jones is the best fighter on the planet IMO and I don't think anyone's anything more than a minor threat to him.

In fact one of the bigger threats to him is probably King Mo, who has some TNT in his hands, and if Jones had so much trouble taking Rampage down he'd very likely have an even tougher time getting Mo down. Sadly he pissed off the UFC brass and got excommunicated. Hope to see him in the UFC someday, he'd be a top 6-8 LHW I believe.