Gustafsson “I Did Not Get The Call”

http://www.studiomma.com/2012/08/30/exclusive-alexander-gustafsson-on-ufc-151-i-did-not-get-the-call/

STUDIO MMA, RIVERSIDE, CA – While training and visiting family in Sweden, StudioMMA.com reporter Marcus Kowal, took time to visit UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson at the Nexus Fighting Center in Stockholm. Gustafsson is currently training for his December 8th bout against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC on FOX 5. “The Mauler” discusses the UFC 151 cancellation, the “Shogun” fight, looming title shot and much more. 

the one to beat jon jones. the reason being i just can't see this guy on the ground getting ground n pound on or getting choked out. and i definitely can't see him getting knocked out.

same thing can be said about jon jones i guess but that only means it's a 50/50.

the mauler motherfuckers.

The call for the 151 fill in? I'm sure the reason was it would have sold 100 PPVs and wouldn't even cover the cost of the event.

Good. I wanna see shogun wreck him. Phone Post

I think people are overlooking Gustaffson here. Since his Davis loss, he has improved his wrestling and rolled through legitimate competition. Im not saying he'd beat Jones but he'd be more deserving than anyone who was offered, IMO. It's a good possibility I'll be taking him over Rua in fantasy, haha.

noisebully - the one to beat jon jones. the reason being i just can't see this guy on the ground getting ground n pound on or getting choked out. and i definitely can't see him getting knocked out.

same thing can be said about jon jones i guess but that only means it's a 50/50.

He's already been choked out by Phil Davis. Phone Post

noisebully - the one to beat jon jones. the reason being i just can't see this guy on the ground getting ground n pound on or getting choked out. and i definitely can't see him getting knocked out.

This guys buying into the hype. Go watch his fight with Phil. Phone Post

Gustaffson's wrestling and footwork is much improved.. Davis is a better wrestler than Jones.. I do agree with you guys mostly, just saying/playing devil's advocate..

IMO, he is as ready as anyone else is.

time traveling 12er - Why would they call him? They already had their replacement fighter in Sonnen.

I guess only if one goes by the rationale  that if the number 1 contender can't fight, then the next highest ranked contender(s) should get the call first untill someone accepts. Gustaffson may not be at the very top of that list, but I think quite a few people would put him above Chael in LHW in that regard. But as I think we can resonably guess, that's not the rationale the UFC was using.(and there's no transparent ranking system that the UFC uses at leastl)

Irule - As much as I would like to see someone beat Jones down, it isn't going to be Gustafsson. If they fight, it will go down a lot like Jones' fight against Machida. Alex keeps his left hand down too far when engaging, and Jones will eventually catch him and finish him off on the ground. Hope I'm wrong.

Gustafsson is much better at setting up his entry imo.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/73422313-post114.html summarizes my thoughts fairly well.

It's all about the money to Zuffa...

but let's keep crucifying Jones...

Lol at people pointing to the Phil Davis fight that AG isn't that great. That fight was two years ago! Fighters do improve you know. He's beating good comp and is improving every time he fights. He's worth the hype.

Fighters can lose and get better. Too many on here seem to forget that. Phone Post

Willin_But_Not_Chaeble - The call for the 151 fill in? I'm sure the reason was it would have sold 100 PPVs and wouldn't even cover the cost of the event.

This Phone Post

ortman166 -

This guys buying into the hype. Go watch his fight with Phil. Phone Post

Go back two years when the fight happened and see if the hype was the same. Since the loss he's responded like a elite fighter would, he worked on his weaknesses and improved his overall game. That is why people buy into the hype. Maybe you should watch his fights since the Davis fight. Phone Post

Standup29 - 

Lol at people pointing to the Phil Davis fight that AG isn't that great. That fight was two years ago! Fighters do improve you know. He's beating good comp and is improving every time he fights. He's worth the hype.

Fighters can lose and get better. Too many on here seem to forget that. Phone Post

Whats funny is that Davis was getting stuffed on his TD attempts. It wasnt until Gustafsson tried to take Davis down that he managed to get top position from that. He has been training with Davis since then and fought Hamill and Vladdy who are both competent wrestlers

Kung_Fu_Phatty - Gustaffson's wrestling and footwork is much improved.. Davis is a better wrestler than Jones.. I do agree with you guys mostly, just saying/playing devil's advocate..

Davis has much better amateur credentials, but he's not a better MMA wrestler than Jones.

LilBrockonmychest - 
MITman2k - 
time traveling 12er - Why would they call him? They already had their replacement fighter in Sonnen.

I guess only if one goes by the rationale  that if the number 1 contender can't fight, then the next highest ranked contender(s) should get the call first untill someone accepts. Gustaffson may not be at the very top of that list, but I think quite a few people would put him above Chael in LHW in that regard. But as I think we can resonably guess, that's not the rationale the UFC was using.(and there's no transparent ranking system that the UFC uses at leastl)

Exactly...if the UFC really wanted to save the event they could have.  Dana made a comment that he "exercised all options before cancelling" but of course it's just another lie.  Many have said they would have stepped up to save the event, including Anderson Silva.  But, Anderson hadn't even heard about it until after it was cancelled so clearly Dana never tried that option.  And by this article he clearly didn't call the guy that's on a 5 fight win streak in the LHW division and should be the #1 contender.

Dana acted like an emotional woman, didn't think the event was going to make him and the Fertitas as much money as they want, and cancelled it to blame it on Jones.

Probably would've been a bit trickier for the natural LHWs to make weight on 8 days notice than it was for the bigger MWs. Just a thought.

Phisher - 
Kung_Fu_Phatty - Gustaffson's wrestling and footwork is much improved.. Davis is a better wrestler than Jones.. I do agree with you guys mostly, just saying/playing devil's advocate..

Davis has much better amateur credentials, but he's not a better MMA wrestler than Jones.

Yea, I agree.. Just playing devil's advocate. I just don't agree Sonnen, Rua, Machida or anyone else is clearly a better candidate than Gustaffson.