Gustafsson = major inferior camp in Sveeeeden?

I’m not saying it’s bad, maybe it’s the best in the area. But I have to think his coaches and training partners are not the same caliber as those in the US, Canada & Brazil. Especially competing at LHW and at his size of 6’ 5”, how is he finding good training partners out there? All the Vikings died a long time ago. He must be so much better than everyone around him I don’t see how he is able to grow and further his abilities in Scandinavia.

Even many of the great Brazilian fighters have moved to camps in the US. Rory MacDonald said he knew he had to move from his original camp in Canada to the best Canadian camp, TriStar, if he wanted to train with fighters as good as him and who would take things as seriously. And this in a country passionate and entrenched in MMA – Sweden is nowhere near that level yet.

Denmark’s Martin Kampmann = moved to Las Vegas. England’s Michal Bisping = moved to California. Fedor is the only truly great fighter I can think of who stayed in his native country and wasn’t from or moved to the US, Canada, Brazil or Japan.

I am amazed Gustafsson has reached the level he has training in a country with nowhere near the level of coaches or training partners as in the US, Canada or Brazil. Does he go to one of these locations at times for his training? I predict it is just a matter of time before he realizes he needs to move and train with those of equal or greater ability. Unless they can resurrect his Viking ancestors out there in Sveeeeeeden.

Hasn't he been training in SoCal?

Standup29 -

Hasn't he been training in SoCal?

Yea he tranes in sd Phone Post

I thought he trains with Phil Davis. Phone Post

Te dude trains in San Diego Phone Post

torquemada - I thought he trains with Phil Davis. Phone Post

He does, Team Alliance....he and his head coach normally come down for camps. If I remember correctly he said he did 8 weeks in Sweden and 4 In the US Phone Post

"Especially competing at LHW and at his size of 6’ 5”,"

I don't know how many skilled fighters there are in Sweden, but I would think that there would not be a shortage of guys that are around his size with whom he could train. Sure, 6'5" is tall even in Sweden, but there are a higher percentage of tall people in Sweden than in a lot of other countries.

You also have to take into account that when you're talking about Europe, you really can't think of just one country alone. There is so much cross border activity. It isn't like the United States.

big_josh - 

You also have to take into account that when you're talking about Europe, you really can't think of just one country alone. There is so much cross border activity. It isn't like the United States.

^
this.

thread went well

Okay, first of all, Andreas Michael is no slouch as a striking coach, Google him yourself... That's who Alex is hanging with when he's not at Alliance here in Socal. Second, the next point I was going to make had nothing to do with Sveeeeden so I'll just let it go at that...

ChaosOverkill -

thread went well

lol Phone Post

theshooter - "Especially competing at LHW and at his size of 6’ 5”,"

I don't know how many skilled fighters there are in Sweden, but I would think that there would not be a shortage of guys that are around his size with whom he could train. Sure, 6'5" is tall even in Sweden, but there are a higher percentage of tall people in Sweden than in a lot of other countries.

I'm 6'3" and when I went there I felt I was no more than average height.

Some kickboxers over there are brutally long. They can headkick you from the locker rooms.

Great input from most. One or two typical dorks trying their best to be funny and failing miserably, of course.

Wasn't aware of his training at Alliance at times. Good choice. The "UFC Road to the Octagon" show I saw this week focused only on his living and training in Sweden so I didn't see the Alliance/USA connection. Sounds like he is there 4 weeks and in Sweden 8 weeks. Stiil in Sweden 2/3 of the time. The average Swede is taller than the average American, but they average about 5' 11" according to Wiki, which is still a half foot shorter than big Gustafsson. Maybe there are indeed solid fighters in Sweden and other parts of Europe he can train with. Anxious to see his upcoming fight with Shogun.

"I'm 6'3" and when I went there I felt I was no more than average height.

Some kickboxers over there are brutally long. They can headkick you from the locker rooms."

I've heard that this is what it is like in the Netherlands.