Gutter troubles

Got up on roof of garage to have a good time and look out over the land. Found some serious issues! 

1 Like

Tryong to post pics.  Sure enough,  app won't let me.  Basically all plywood on roof is water rotted along edges of gutters.  

Any gutter guys out there with advice? 

Time for a reroof and new shingles!  Good thing is it's only the garage, so clean your gutters and downspouts out, get you some plywood, tar paper, shingles and have at it!

Does your current roof have a drip edge installed?

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -

Time for a reroof and new shingles!  Good thing is it's only the garage, so clean your gutters and downspouts out, get you some plywood, tar paper, shingles and have at it!

Good news because I don't live in it.  But bad news because it's about twice the size of my house lol.  Im going at it now.  

Black Dougie -

Does your current roof have a drip edge installed?

Yes it does.  But the place sat uninhibited foe a couple years before I bought. So gutters were probably all backed up or something 

Most likely because the caulking that was used when the spikes for the gutters were installed has deteriorated. If the decking is rotten, you can have a roofer cut the bottom 2 - 4' of the decking out and replace just those sections. 

fuzzislipperz -

Most likely because the caulking that was used when the spikes for the gutters were installed has deteriorated. If the decking is rotten, you can have a roofer cut the bottom 2 - 4' of the decking out and replace just those sections. 

Luckily it's just around the edges. 2ft and then it goes up to a steeper pitch.  I'm tearing it all out now. Then going get ice sheild and plywood and shingle. Gives me something to do I guess. 

Is the wood behind the gutters all rotted also? You putting up new gutters?

Here's your job. If you want to try, save what you can as in, the drip edge unless it's stuck to the ice/water shield. The Ice and water shield is 3ft wide so, let's pop the nails under those shingles Easy, with a flat bar/"wonder bar" ...clear everythingn down to the black ice/water...now, snap a line about a foot or so up all the way across the roof and using a skill saw with the blade at just the right depth to get through the plywood, cut that line and rip out the 1foot of plywood along the roof. piece in new plywood. put down some more ice and water. Tamco is a brand, Grace is another but Grace is harder to work with.    Now, replace drip edge and shingles...

The eaves and the fascia boards are all good.  It's just plywood around edge of roof.  I'm cutting 16 inches of it out so I can get 3 8ft strips out of a sheet of plywood.  Then gotta go to store to get supplies.  So far, so good

Edit: Drip guard still good. They didn't put enough nails in it.  Just put one nail on each end lol