Guy tried to ko me during sparring yesterday

Warning FRAT. We were sparring last night in class. Our instructor said we were doing "light timing sparring", but to work to the level of your partner. When this guy at our gym that has a fight coming up in a couple weeks was matched up with me it was on. I have sparred with this guy before and he's pretty spaztic and goes hard.

Right off the bat this guy just uppercuts me pretty much as hard as he could trying to know me out. I wasn't really rocked but I was dazed and just paused for a second like wtf. My instructor was watching and he goes "hit him back!" So I went back at him like he came at me and was trying to do the same to him. He didn't really catch me after that except for a few shots to the body, and I think I got the better of him.

I kind of felt bad after because I thought I was going too hard and I can't remember the last time I was throwing with those intentions except for on the street. He didn't seem to complain and my instructor didn't tell me to tone down. The guy actually had a big smile on his face and hugged me after the sparring session. I kind of feel bad but then again the guy was trying to seriously hurt/knock me out. I don't mind going hard once in a while but It's not fun for me when ppl are trying to kill you.

Thoughs?

I tell everyone I spar that I'm only going to hit you as hard as you hit me .. so good job lol Phone Post

Probably just amped for his fight. As long as you weren't hurt and gave as good as you got then it's all cool Phone Post

Was the guy your size? I get accused of going hard by guys smaller than me all the time.

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm just a little mad at myself because for most the spar I think my emotions got the best of me and I was trying to really go after this guy. Maybe I felt that was kind of disrespectful or cheap the way he came at me haha. I feel much better now thanks!

I probably am like at least 30 pounds heavier than this guy. He hits a lot harder than you would think though geez. I figured go back to him as hard as he comes back to me.

If he keeps hitting hard, dont give him chance to hit back..

Try be faster and make him miss. + if you dont like getting hit, clinch him.

Was his name Anderson? Phone Post 3.0

lol beat me to it

Haha no it wasn't Anderson. If it was I wouldn't be able to type right now. I like that philosophy of telling the person that you're gonna go as hard as they are. Remember when Carlos Condit was on that Army base and he told that to a soldier and ended up ko'ing him because he was trying to do the same haha.

No sir he's a manic hispanic.

Pretty much happens w every guy at my gym and the coach loves it. Its annoying as fuck some days. But then again this gym has churned out a lot of top guys so fuck it I guess. I think most of those guys (and myself) are gonna be pretty fuckin dumb in ten years but I have no say in the matter. Good for u though man and no need to feel bad

^^^Thanks man! My problem is I'm too nice and it holds me back.

Dudes with an imminent fight are keyed up to go harder to prepare themselves. You don't have an imminent fight so are more chill on the scale. You got taken out of your comfort zone into an advanced exchange. That's a good thing. Of course it's hard - the guy's tough right? Great experience for you though - why you're getting all the props for it. Emotions ebb and flow and flare - that's all part of the fight game. You learn to ride the waves. That experience though will take you up a notch. Look for that shit. Look to control that shit - deal out damage the Cain vs. Lesnar way not the Shane vs. Lesnar way. And don't let the flare get in your relationships. "Hey dude I got a little emotional there. Sorry and thanks for bringing it. Great rounds". Or something like that. It's just training brah.

Ninja mon - ^^^Thanks man! My problem is I'm too nice and it holds me back.

For sure. Just be nice till shit gets real like u did! I have guys who get mad if u don't go 100% lol. Just gotta make em respect you. If u have a good, responsible,smart coach it should always be okay. I imagine your coach said go hard Back BC of that respect factor especially if the guy has a fight. Checking his ego so he doesn't act like that in the fight. My 2 cents

^^^Thanks man!

I will never forget my first live sparring class. Our coach said go, and the guy (about 30 pounds larger then me) throws three full strength punches at me and then picks me up and slams me. Gave me two black eyes and tore my ACL within the first minute.

According to my other training partners, that is just what he did. I am going under the knife to try and repair my knee soon, and haven't been able to train since.

Moral of the story, if someone goes to hard, don't train with them. You don't need to prove to anyone that you can take a beating. It will only fill you with regret.

drewmorais - 

I tell everyone I spar that I'm only going to hit you as hard as you hit me .. so good job lol Phone Post

I wanna spar everyone harder then they hit me :)

Ninja mon - Haha no it wasn't Anderson. If it was I wouldn't be able to type right now. I like that philosophy of telling the person that you're gonna go as hard as they are. Remember when Carlos Condit was on that Army base and he told that to a soldier and ended up ko'ing him because he was trying to do the same haha.

I think I remember seeing that condit vid but it's been a while. I googled it and didn't find it, but this lil' gem was in the search results.

Blue please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjw3OQ3iGQ

Que flexibilidad!

The guy was probably glad you went hard on him. His opponent in the fight isn't going to go easy, neither should you.