Guys turning down fights...

Jones turns down Chael

Shogun turns down Jones

Machida turns down Jones

What the hell is going on here?

Is this the result of big money sponsorships and really, the value of a win is worth far more than the value of opportunity? The fact that Jones is now signed by Nike, he can't take the risks that he might have once done when, one loss could dramatically change the money that is coming in per fight not only from the UFC but from sponsors as well.

But is this also going on for guys like Shogun and Machida? I'd never thought in a million years either one of these guys would turn down a fight. Why is this becoming a more common occurance? Is this just what is going to become the norm with the popularity of the sport growing?

If you look at boxing, this isn't an uncommon occurance in boxing at all however, the governing organizations (WBO, WBC, IBA, etc) have mandatory challengers and if the champion refuses, they strip them of the title. Should the UFC implement this sort of policy? Fight who we say or we strip you of the title?

Boxing is dying for the mere fact that certain fighters refuse to fight the others and sadly, I think this is the start of the same thing happening in MMA. I really hope it isn't but it sure seems like it's turning this way.

Warzone209 - 

Everyone has the right to turn down a fight on short notice... This is nothing like Mayweather ducking Pacman for years etc.

People have the right to do whatever they want. Doesn't make the decision right.

"Don't be scared homie."

There was a time in this sport when there was not much money to be earned. Back then people were fighting because they believed they were the best. They fought to be known as the best. Now that there's money involved fighters pick and choose who they will fight way to often. It's all about the pay day now Phone Post

To me its different for jones to turn down chael.

He was in camp, training for a team quest wrestler.

Chael was an EASIER fight then hendo.

Its another thing for machida to have earned a title shot, then have to fight on short notice against an inshape Jon Jones.

The comparison isnt quite fair...

Shogun and Machida didnt agree to fight on a certain date, complete a full training camp and then refuse to fight a gimme opponent on that date to save a card.

These are completely different circumstances.  How can anyone fault machida or shogun for not wanting to fight jones with a 3 week camp?

Long gone are the days of true men like Don Frye. Men who would drop everything and fight at a moment's notice for fan, family, or country.

Welcome to the new generation of MMA, enjoy your stay.

Bloody Pregnancy Fluids - To me its different for jones to turn down chael.

He was in camp, training for a team quest wrestler.

Chael was an EASIER fight then hendo.

Its another thing for machida to have earned a title shot, then have to fight on short notice against an inshape Jon Jones.

That's what I didn't get. He was training for Hendo which Hendo has a very similar style to Chael only, Chael doesn't have the power of Hendo not to mention Chael hadn't fought at 205 in 7 years. Jones turning down that fight made zero sense when you look at it like that. Phone Post

MMALOGIC - The comparison isnt quite fair...

Shogun and Machida didnt agree to fight on a certain date, complete a full training camp and then refuse to fight a gimme opponent on that date to save a card.

These are completely different circumstances.  How can anyone fault machida or shogun for not wanting to fight jones with a 3 week camp?

I think I maybe said it wrong. I'm more do wondering if the sponsorships, especially big sponsorships are the reasons for the increased number of fights being turned down Phone Post

I remember back to when Randy and Chuck were back and fourth LHW champions.  I can't imagine either of them turning down a fight.  Certainly not a championship fight.

^ in the situation regardsing Machida.i think it has to do with opprtunity costs...  I think MAchida  realizes that with a shot shogun nobody at 205 can beat him besides jones so he wants to make sure he's prepared for jones becuase it will likely be his last run at the 205 title.

with Shogun i just think they know he's not ready for another beating again.... especially with a 3 week camp.

The Jones not taking the chael fight baffles me...  it has to be one of the worst career blunders ever.    the sonnen fight was a gimme fight for jones... and easy pay day.... a wide open lay up.

for all the chael sonnen haters... for him to be willing to step into a cage with 8 days notice against a fully conditioned Jon Jones is crazy.  Remember what Jones did to shogun... Jones literally broke Brandon Veras face.  There's something to be said for chael willing to step into a cage knowing he was gonna likely get beaten to a pulp

Isn't Shogun still medically suspended? Phone Post

Cant blame shogun, he had a tougj fight with vera. Phone Post

please dont bring shogun into this. he was so out of shape and so unprepared, he made vera look like a legit contender.

Machida was just in shape for Bader so you cannot argue he is out of shape.

He throttled him easily so you cannot argue he was beat up.

He was choked out with ease the first time and it's not like fans have been begging to see Machida-Jones 2.

He should have taken the fight.

Because now he guarantees that he will NEVER get another one if even he gets this one he earned.

As for Shogun?

Awful performance versus Vera, turns down Glover and a title shot; Shogun is nearing Rampage shit list levels here.

Just goes to show that guys like Chris Leben really are bad asses.

Remember at UFC 116 he took on Sexyama on a week's notice and won.

That's bad ass.

These guys are not.

As a consumer I've no desire to see Shogun or Machida ever earn more money.

They do not deserve it. Phone Post