Gypsy King to Retire After Whyte Fight , Still Wants Ngannou

Tyson Fury is almost done with his boxing career, and when that’s over, he’s coming for Francis Ngannou.

Next month, Fury, who is the WBC and lineal heavyweight champion, will defend his title against fellow British heavyweight Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium in London. And according to “The Gypsy King” that will be all she wrote for his professional boxing career.

“This is the final countdown of ‘The Gypsy King.’ Hollywood awaits,” Fury told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour . “This is my retirement fight. 100,000 people at Wembley, all British world title fight. Return of the Mack after four years to the U.K. This is it, going out on a high. Retiring on top. Two-time world heavyweight champion and I’ll have made eight defenses of the lineal championship. Never to lose a fight. To go down as only the second heavyweight in history to retire unbeaten. Me and Rocky Marciano.”

Fury is one of the biggest stars in boxing and would be walking away from a number of highly lucrative match ups. However, Fury won’t be walking away from combat sports entirely. Though the former unified heavyweight champion says this will be the end of his boxing career, Fury says that doesn’t mean he won’t still fight in the future. Specifically, Fury noted that he is still interested in facing UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou in a special rules bout.

“I don’t count that as a real boxing fight,” Fury said. “That’s not a boxing fight. That’s gonna be a ‘special’ fight. That will be in a cage in four-ounce gloves, in Las Vegas, at the Raiders Stadium…

“I will have retired from competitive, championship boxing and I’ll be ready to do the crossover fights completely. He won’t be the UFC heavyweight champion anymore, I won’t be the WBC heavyweight champion anymore, but I will still be the lineal heavyweight champion because they can’t take that from me!”

Fury and Ngannou have been hyping a potential match up over the last few months, with Fury proposing a boxing match using MMA gloves and taking place in a cage. Ngannou has noted his own interest in the bout and Fury believes that having the fight take place under a modified ruleset will make the bout that much more exciting.
“We’ve got Francis Ngannou, he’s a big guy, a big dangerous guy,” Fury said. “I’d love to see, people going on, ‘Oh, it’s not a fair fight in 10-ounce gloves,’ and that’s correct. It wouldn’t be a fair fight in 10-ounce gloves because like [Daniel] Cormier said recently, he said Francis Ngannou is a much cruder version of Deontay Wilder, and we all know what happened there. So I think if we’re doing four-ounce gloves, he’d have a bit more chance of knocking me out, but then again, I’d have a bit more chance of knocking him out also. So it makes for an exciting fight. And I will try to come in at my heaviest for that fight. I’ll try to come in over 300 pounds… Just to nail him to the canvas with one solid punch.”

The bout would undoubtedly sell extremely will but it’s still a long way off from reality. Fury notes that there have been no discussions about the fight as of yet and likely won’t be for some time. Ngannou is currently recovering from a knee injury that will likely keep him out for the remainder of the year and also reportedly remains tied to the UFC until December, having fought out his contract but being subject to the UFC champion’s clause. Once that’s all over with though, and assuming Fury has successfully retired unbeaten, then “The Gypsy King” says they can start looking to the future.

“I’ve got Dillian Whyte deal with,” Fury said. “… When I get through this fight that I’m concentrating on at the moment, we will deal with whatever is gonna happen next.”

Yeah…those are definitely pillow fists Deontay!

Possibly one of the most retarded statements I have ever heard from a Boxer over the years!

Not taking this seriously just yet, we’ll see after the Whyte fight where he is at.

2 Likes

He says a lot of weird shit. I think he will still want Usyk or Joshua.

1 Like

The way he describes it at least sounds a bit more interesting than the regular boxing match Ngannou wanted

1 Like

Wasn’t he just saying he wanted to fight another 10 years?

2 Likes

We will have to see, though I know his old man wants him to get into politics. I think he thinks Tyson the big Gyp could save Europe from being devoured by the “noble religion of peace”.

And that’s a beautiful thing, WAR Gypsy King!

2 Likes

KA
BOOM !

1 Like

We wuz Gypsy Kangz

3 Likes

John Fury goes in I dont know if the article is around now. John talked straight up about how the country is being handed over to immigrants, and that he talks to Tyson a lot about retiring and entering politics where he’s so accomplished and beloved now by Europe.

2 Likes

Yea 4oz gloves and in a cage. Thats gives Francis a good chance

1 Like

I hope he doesn’t leave before Usyk and Joshua (if warranted).

But don’t blame him trying to collect an easy 7 figures to dismantle Ngannou with ease for a final paycheque, if anyone gives a shit about Francis by then.

1 Like

Lol…”good” chance.

You know anything about boxing? At all?

1 Like

Im guessing you dont know jack shit about it because thats not boxing. 4oz gloves change everything and so does the cage.

Stick to cricket

Sure thing.

You’re so smart thinking that gloves give a stand and wanger a “good” chance against an all time great HW boxer.

Genius you are.

Pure genius.

What’s your next great insult champ? Curling? Golf?

1 Like

Fury and Ngannou have expressed interest in boxing each other for a while now, with Fury proposing a special rules bout with four-ounce gloves. But in a recent interview on “The MMA Hour,” Fury said he plans on retiring after boxing Dillian Whyte in April and sees a fight with UFC heavyweight champion Ngannou on the horizon.

But White, who’s currently having negotiation issues with Ngannou and his management, doesn’t think the heavyweight champion should even entertain a fight with Fury.

“It’s a really bad idea for Francis – a really bad idea,” White said in an interview with Barstool Sports.

When asked about Ngannou’s knockout power, which has shut the lights out on 12 of his 17 opponents, White said even that wouldn’t be enough against a boxer of Fury’s caliber.

“So did Deontay Wilder – he had that one-punch (knockout) power, too,” White said.

Fury battled Wilder three times. Their first outing was a thrilling draw in December 2018 in which Fury was able to miraculously get up from a thunderous Wilder knockdown. But the WBC and The Ring heavyweight champion was able to leave no doubt when he finished Wilder in both the rematch and trilogy bouts.

Ngannou currently is healing from a knee injury and is projected to be out for the remainder of the year. Although he fought out his contract after retaining his title against Ciryl Gane at UFC 270 this past January, Ngannou is still tied to the UFC until the end of the year due to a “championship clause.”

Ngannou turned to wrestling to beat a “fair” kickboxer in his last fight (ok, it might of been the smartest and safest way to win). I’ll go out on a limb and say Tyson is a much better striker than the kickboxer (sorry, cant remember his name). How does Ngannou beat Tyson?