HAALP! Any Audio/Video Experts?

Let me preface this post with, I'm able to figure out an electronics problem/issue 99% of the time, but for some reason I cannot figure out and/or understand my current issue. Also, sorry in advance for the FRAT. Just trying to put as much info as possible to avoid anyone who is able to help asking the "generic" questions.

Here is a list of all the devices involved with this question.
- Samsung UN60HU8550 4k tv
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60HU8550FXZA
-Yamaha RX-V373 AV Receiver
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v373_black_u/#tag8827
-PS4, Xbox 1 and HP Laptop for XBMC

Now for my question(s)...

Given the specs, should I be using my AVR or TV for upscaling? I'm assuming that connecting my devices to the TV and allowing it to do the upscalling is the 'best' option, but both have 4k upscaling capabilities.

HDMI 4 is labeled 'ARC' on the TV and I understand what that is (for the most part). The receiver has a HDMI audio out, also labeled ARC. Using the ARC option is obviously the easiest way to go, but I've also read that it can only pass Dolby Digital. So I would potentially be losing out on Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD going this route. 
- Option 1 - PS4/XB1/Laptop > TV HDMI Inputs 1-3 > HDMI 4 (ARC) > AVR Audio Out (ARC)
- Option 2 - PS4/XB1/Laptop > AVR HDMI Inputs 1-3 > AVR Audio Out > HDMI 4 on TV
- Option 3 - Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpeg

I don't even know if any of what I've said will make sense? I'm trying to ask this question without having a bunch of long ass-drawn out paragraphs. I'll ask some follow up questions, pending there are some OGers who can help me out. VUs for anyone who can help!

Personally I would run everything through the receiver. The ARC on the TV is normally just used to send an audio source generated by the TV back to the receiver (for example if you used the "Smart" features of the TV to access Netflix you would use the ARC HDMI port to send the audio info back to the receiver to be processed if you aren't using the TV's built in speakers). It is also listing the Yamaha as having pass through 4k and not upscale features like the TV. What are you going to be used to send a 4k source?

Sounds like a great set-up! Phone Post 3.0

EBD - Thanks for the reply, brother! I stopped checking after about 45 mins and no reply, and was about to take my chances on AVSForum by having to create an account and then hope someone would actually respond.

I like your method with running everything through the receiver. That's how I had it set up prior to getting this TV the other day and never had any issues with audio quality. I think where I'm getting confused is how this TV is labeled vs my last TV. My previous TV had an hdmi input labeled "HDMI Audio" and it was completely seperate from the other HDMI inputs. Is the ARC on this TV essentially the same thing, with the only difference being able to to use it for both audio & video? Using your method, would I need to use the 'Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)' option listed in the system options for the TV or just leave this off? I'm sure this is somewhat confusing since you're unable to actually see what I'm talking about. 

I did a ton of research about the lack of 4k content available right now, and was well aware it was almost a waste buying a 4k TV at this time, but I love electronics and nice shit lol, not to mention I couldn't pass up the Cyber Monday Deal at Best Buy. Smart Hub has an app with "4k" video (I know it's compressed to all hell, but stil looks insane), and YouTube has some 4k specific channels, but other than that, I don't have a dedicated 4k source.

Last question regarding the pass through/upscaling...I'm actually going to google what both of these do since I have very little knowledge, but would you prefer using one over the other? I will be voting you up every day until you hit 100!

No problem at all! I would probably prefer the upscaler on the TV, or preferably on a 4k Blu Ray player down the road versus the receiver, but honestly I doubt anyone would really be able to tell the difference in quality - they should all do a good job. As for the anynet+ it is normally recommended that you leave it turned off. It tends to cause handshake issues with HDMI (where the two components aren't able to connect) - the only real benefit of using it is if you are connecting two different Samsung devices together (such as your TV and a Samsung Blu-ray player). I'd keep things simple initially - have everything run through the receiver for now with one HDMI out to the TV. You will then need to use the ARC HDMI port on the TV to send audio back to the receiver (I use Denon myself but I'm sure the Yamaha has a similar HDMI in port).
I tend to be an early adopter myself and the true 4k signals look amazing.

I've had great success on AVS Forum. There are a ton of knowledgeable folks on there that are willing to spend hours helping someone get things set up just right.

What type of speakers are you using with the setup? Phone Post 3.0

Running everything through the receiver is the best way hands down. One of the main reasons is that's one of the reasons you purchase a receiver. Run EVERYTHING through it and use it to switch between components, utilizing the best sound on all your electronics Phone Post 3.0

Leaving the Anytime+ off makes sense now, because I had originally set everything up via HDMI and had it turned on. It said it was connected and appeared to be working 90% of the time, but there were definitely some issues with it and it never "found" any of my devices (since they aren't Samsung lol). I actually just created an account over there and will definitely be spending a lot of time reading through different posts. I couldn't search within a thread until I actually created an account, so trying to find an answer or someone with a common problem in a 275+ page thread was a huge pain in the ass!

I've got Klipsch KB-15's for my Front/Rear L/R speakers, Klipsch KC-25 center and a Yamaha sub. I think they sound great and give me more than enough quality sound for what I need right now. I'll definitely be upgrading down the road, but need to gain more knowledge on the audio side of things before I take the plunge.

BBC Brasco - Running everything through the receiver is the best way hands down. One of the main reasons is that's one of the reasons you purchase a receiver. Run EVERYTHING through it and use it to switch between components, utilizing the best sound on all your electronics Phone Post 3.0

I had always assumed this and it's how I've been setting my system up for years, but I wasn't sure if the same applied given the "capabilities" of this new tv. Do you happen to know if there's any truth behind shorter HDMI cables (3 feet) providing better quality than longer cables? VU!

As far as I know the hdmi cable is lossless, meaning length should not affect quality, but I'm old school and not sure if I believe that. Plus I'm an electrician and with any electrical cable, the shorter and thicker the gauge, the better. So I would keep them as short as possible. Could be wrong about the hdmi though Phone Post 3.0

Do you happen to know if there's any truth behind shorter HDMI cables (3 feet) providing better quality than longer cables?

makes no difference unless you start going over 30 feet or so.

The specs on your AVR state 4k Pass-through, not 4k upscaling.