Had our first Puker!

Back when I took a boxing class, the pukers were usually just guys who thought they were the shit because they lifted weights, then an hour of sparring in an un-airconditioned gym at 5pm in Texas in the summertime taught them differently. Those of us who knew our limits and gradually increased intensity from month to month didn't puke. So I could work out longer than the noobs and never puke.

But according to some of you, the pukers are the cool ones pushing their limits.

Sometimes you puke just because you did something stupid. Puking is nasty, not some personal growth experience.

I'm not into puking either, Lofland. I've never pushed that hard, I suppose (so maybe I'm a wimp); I think some people are more susceptible to puking than others, though. And some people eat the wrong thing too close to workouts!

Puking from massive quantities of ayahuasca might be a personal growth experience. (OOPS -- wrong forum).

We're not saying that the pukers are the only ones pushing their limits. Even when I was in awesome shape, I could still go through a workout that would bring me close to puking.

You are correct that sometimes you puke because you bit off more than you can chew in a given workout situation, but pushing yourself to that point can definitely give you an idea of just how far you can push yourself.

Nothing fancy about puking, it's just funny when it does happen. ;)

9 times out of 10 the pukers are noobs so I wouldn't classify as the cool ones pushing the limits. Sometimes the pukers are the clients that love to be pushed and don't want to complain, it's much more fun to train them then the clients that complain all the time and even though they are barely breaking a sweat.

Scrapper, I admire your friend Ralphy for showing up the next time after having puked. A lot of pukers are embarrassed that they couldn't do as much as they thought, so they never show up again. They just go back to the workouts they're comfortable with.

haha

Koing

Thanks for the education on puking and how great trainers make their clients puke. Great logic and science behind that. I will try this logic and make myself puke after every session so I get stronger and become a better fighter because of it.

If I had only known puking was the secret....

I have a bit of a stomach bug and decided to go for a run immediately after downing a big bowl of chicken rice soup. I also had diarhhea this morning. So, am I a stud or what?

I didn't know powerlifting could lower your reading comprehension to that of a 3 year old.

Learn something new every day I guess.

SCRAP

"As a trainer I've always had a sense of pride with pukers."

"Well, then, you're not a very good 'trainer'."

I'm pretty sure there's a quote from Joe Defranco that talks about the later... Not that I'm taking sides here.

If only Shooter had been around when Vince Lombardi was around, he could have given him some tips on training athletes. Instead of the motivational posters we have with bloody athletes, and Vince's quotes underneath, we could have something else....

Maybe two guys, in powerlifting suits, clapping hands...and the quote underneath could be...Gee, don't work the hammies too hard today, tonite it's your turn on bottom...

Don't forget to chalk up.

Here is the quote from Joe DeFranco:

"This is a myth my most dedicated athletes still have a tough time dismissing. Most hard-working individuals equate a good workout with being exhausted and sore. I can?t tell you how many times I?ve had athletes say, "You didn?t even make me puke" after a workout. My response is usually, "I didn?t make you puke because I didn?t want to make you puke. Making you puke would be easy. Getting you stronger, faster and more flexible actually takes some work."

Puking is one of the most catabolic things you can do to your body. If your goals are increased muscular strength and/or muscular hypertrophy, you should do everything possible not to puke during your training!"

I'll get on this tomorrow...my boys need some "dad" time.

Fish

"I might have an old "Puke Club" t-shirt for him... another classic -- submissionfighting.com on the sleeve!"

"You still have one of those shirts?!?! Awesome!"

I still have one of these.

Baz

Here's a few quotes from Vince, who obviously didn't get it:

But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

Maybe Vince meant that once you were a little tired, you could take a nap at halftime, or maybe just go home and watch the rest of the game on TV.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.

C'mon Vinnie! When you fall down, just take it easy!

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince, Vinnie, VIN! Dude, get with the new times, man! We all know that it's OK to come in second, get the Silver instead of the Gold, and size doesn't matter...sheesh!

And if you want to win, for goodness sake, don't push yourself to anywhere near exhaustion (like you might find on the field, ring, mat), just take it easy and console yourself with the knowledge that everyone remembers who came in second place. Right?

I'm sure that if you interview Olympic champions and other successful athletes, they'll all tell you that they never pushed through physical and/or mental barriers. If they felt a little yucky during training, they just stopped training for the day. We all know that winning is easy and training through difficult situations is just silly.

SCRAP

"If your goals are increased muscular strength and/or muscular hypertrophy, you should do everything possible not to puke during your training!"

And if your goal is to be an all-around stud, possessing the physical and mental toughness to withstand military and law enforcment special operations training (weighted pullups, burpeees until you're ready to collapse, 3 mile soft sand runs, swimming a mile towing a rucksack then patrolling with that rucksack for miles on land, climbing over hellish obstacle courses, boarding a ship by climbing a caving ladder then clearing the ship of bad guys, etc., etc.), then regular workouts in which you push your mental and physical limits to the brink and beyond are called for.

The muscle guys usually can't handle that stuff.

Be careful Golden Arm, you might make someone cry with the realization that a one-time lift usually doesn't mean much with special operation personnel.

A powerlifter probably has no need to push himself until he pukes, whereas a combat athlete does.

I didn't know who Joe DeFranco was so I looked him up. His claim to fame is training Football players and specifically preparing them for the NFL combine.

Football player work for less than 10 sec then rest for more than 25 sec. That's like the reverse of the Tabata protocol right? Kind of sounds easy.

As a trainer I'm more likely to design a program that would make a fighter or my Rugby players puke than a Football Player or a Powerlifter.

the first day of my ross work out i almost puked.