Halo 2 reviews...

Well, first reviews are trickling in, and thankfully they are very, very positive - no major glitches or stupid decisions, at least at first glance.

My big three review sites that I follow - xbox.ign.com gave it a 9.8, Gamespot gave it a 9.4, and Gamespy gave it 5/5 stars. IMHO, Gamespot tends to be a bit more negative, while on the flip side IGN is more forgiving, and Gamespy has no real pattern I can discern ;-) TeamXBox had a review, but let's face it, even XBox fans have to admit those guys are just a wee bit biased ;-)

I find it funny, actually, that Gamespot's one major complaint was the storyline, while the other two sites said the story was one of the best parts. In particular (and I don't think I'm spoiling anything), they hated the idea of a "cliffhanger" ending. Well, ummmm.....guys, I'm no business major, but dontcha think that they're trying to set up a big conclusion for Halo 3 when it launches with XBox 2? Kinda sorta a good business decision? Wouldn't it suck if you annihilated the Covenant in Halo 2 and then had squat to do in #3?

Oh, well, storyline aside, I look forward to playing it online. After 3 years of self-imposed exile from playing shooters online (due to rampant cheating on Quake 2 and Counterstrike), it'll be nice to play something where people don't shoot through walls, have permanent full health, or have auto-hit programs guiding their shooting ;-)

Although I have heard a nasty rumor about folks on XBox live running into people who regenerate their health on Rainbow 6 - Black Arrow......