Halo 3 = same day as PS3 release

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/591/591818p1.html

Well, this could lead to some interesting gamesmanship - and I don't mean in the game itself.

Apparently, MS is looking to dent the PS3's opening weekend (whenever it may be in the US, I'm guessing prior to XMas 2006) by releasing their biggest-selling franchise's latest version on the same day.

I don't really give a rat's hymen about the game itself - Halo 2 pissed me off for a number of reasons - and y'all have seen me bitch about it already, so I'll skip it this time :-P But anyway, this seems to give Bungie a 2-year timeline to create this game, assuming they haven't started on it back in May of last year or something like that. Since they needed 3 years to release an incomplete Halo 2, this doesn't bode well, IMHO. And they better hope and pray that Sony doesn't one-up them by moving up their release date a week or two - I mean, the PS3 will have been finished and released in Japan for some time by that point, so it would seem that Bungie is under the gun more than Sony.

If this is indeed a marketing version of a game of chicken, I think Sony has the advantage....

I agree with you I think SONY will switch release dates to an earlier one, but Halo clones will still buy it in millions and SONY clonse will by PS2 in millions with a next gen GTA game so....

Isn't Halo 3 gonna be on XBox 2?? And if that's the case, does that mean that XBox 2 is gonna be released significantly before PS3??

Yeah, Floppy - estimates say at this point that Xbox 2 (or Xbox Next or Xbox 360 or Xenon or NextBox or whatever the hell the rumor mill is calling it this week) will be released on or near Christmas 2005 - this year. PS3 is projected to be released by Sony about 6-8 months after that (~ summer 2006) in Japan, followed by an Xmas release in the US and elsewhere on or near Xmas 2006. So, if the rumors are true (and E3 should provide some evidence one way or the other in May this year) Xbox will beat PS3 by about a year in the US.

I actually find it ironic that the new XBox will be out earlier than PS3 and thus will reverse the arguments from this generation - PS2 was out first and had more games, while XBox was more powerful and had better graphics, etc. It may very well be this next go-round that the XBox 2 will have more games by the PS3's launch, but those who get PS3 will point to its greater graphics, etc. :-P

No flames on system power, please - I will be the first to admit I am computer illiterate and all the technical mumbo jumbo (about Cell processors and triple CPUs etc.) is way over my head - thus, I really have no idea which system will be "more powerful," however one might wish to define that. Anyone have any opinions on that? I'll see if I can dig up some specs....

OK, here's likely X2 specs:

a three-core 3.5GHz CPU (three IBM PowerPC G5-class 64-bit processors, each one running at 3.5+ Ghz, and will share 1MB of L2 cache) backed by 256MB of main memory and a 500MHz graphics chip (an ATI R500 graphics chip, apparently, it should support DirectX 10, which will also provide the graphics API for the next major version of Windows, 'Longhorn')

And here's likely PS3 specs:

9 processor cores that should run at about 4.6 Ghz, with 2.5 MB of RAM on the chip.

Info on the PS3 is pretty tough to find, I couldn't manage much on RAM or the GPU.

most sites say that the xbox2 and ps3 will have almost the same specs both of there chips are made by the same comp

Its the new Nintendo system that is suppossed to be pretty much the same as the Xbox 2.

"Resident Evil 4 is one of the best looking console games out there, and it's on the freakin' cube."

Uhm, Gamecube is a far more powerful system than the PS2, and games designed for it specifically look as good as ones designed for the Xbox.

Right now, Capcom is having lots of trouble trying to port RE4 to the PS2. They will do their best, but in the end it will be far inferior graphically to the Gamecube version. PS2 just doesn't have the hardware muscle.

Ditto that, Sadyv - I would not care to be one of the folks responsible for porting this game. Sounds like a thankless job no matter how hard they work.

Talk about trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.....

PS2 = Dreamcast in power.

it takes too long for the software to catch up to the hardware so for at least the first 2 years all systems will look the same

All consoles should be given a mandatory 6 year life span.

"a three-core 3.5GHz CPU (three IBM PowerPC G5-class 64-bit processors, each one running at 3.5+ Ghz, and will share 1MB of L2 cache) backed by 256MB of main memory and a 500MHz graphics chip (an ATI R500 graphics chip, apparently, it should support DirectX 10, which will also provide the graphics API for the next major version of Windows, 'Longhorn') "

No, the X-Box 2 will run 3 virtual systems on a single true triple core chip, each core will have at least 1mb of cache(3mb total) and prob 256 or 512 meg of ram assigned to each virtual system, the virtual cores will run in a cluster.

this system will also run hot as shit if the chips are anywhere near 3.5ghz, my money says the nearer 3ghz.

Ditto that on hot - people are speculating that the PS3 Cell could hit 5.0 Ghz, but there's no way to keep a monster like that from bursting into flames :-P

But that is news to me, about the memory assigned to each chip....

LOL @ a person who doesn't know simple math well enough to know that next-gen consoles are stronger than anything currently on the normal market, and not knowing that developments made in console research are leading to changes in PC chip design....

Xbox 2 will be backwards compatable, it's based of pc architecture for crying out loud, how can it not be.

You are both incorrect, at least partially.

PS3 will be backwards compatible with PS2, but not with PS1. This has been reported by a number of reputable sites. Don't ask me how it works that way, though. :-)

And there has been no definite indicator of BC for XBox 2, but most people are speculating that it will not be, based on the structure of the system. Some have gone so far as to say that a sort of BC add-on module may have been proposed, but that's really speculative. Betting odds lean toward no BC for X2 - which sucks hard, given that I am an XBox fan, and that, combined with Sony's apparent edge in power, is making me question which system I'll follow, as opposed to just keeping in MS's stable....

some xbox 2 facts http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15016-1557-x-x-x

Thanks for the link, Fox.

what are some sites that are reporting news (or rumors) on the Xbox2? I'd like to read some more about it.